Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 65088 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #125 on: 24 March, 2020, 02:43:11 pm »
I am told that the air in Maidstone actually smells clean.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #126 on: 24 March, 2020, 02:49:38 pm »
Almost complete absence of the sound of twos-and-blues.  Especially in the rush hours they were so common that I didn't realise how frequent they were until now when there aren't any.  None yesterday, nor today. 

I guess with so  little traffic there's no need.

On my trip to the chemist I saw this ped going to cross at the pelican.  Without looking he pressed the button; the road was completely empty but for the single car who was obliged to stop and wait for him.  He didn't seem to have any sensory problems otherwise.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #127 on: 24 March, 2020, 03:27:52 pm »
No clouds today.

That's because the planes aren't making them.

Looks out window at sky where the only clouds I see are contrails.

Though the sky 20miles west of heathrow is strangely almost empty.

Good view of the ISS down my last night. I emailed my scouts to get them to have a look and set them a couple of questions (height of orbit, crew members). I had a shaky hand held phone video of a dot in the sky sent in by one of them as part of their answer.
I might have to have a gander at that myself this evening.
Heavens Above is predicting a favourable trajectory over Londres Sud

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #128 on: 24 March, 2020, 03:33:09 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/mar/22/coronavirus-free-how-to-clean-your-mobile-phone

If only the Golgafrinchans had read the Guardian....      and a sensible reminder not to put it under running water  :facepalm:

I usually wash mine under the tap!  It does it no harm, as its more than sufficiently water resistant.  When its time to replace it (luckily its still holding out after 3 years) I may have to remember that not all phones are water resistant...
Wombat

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #129 on: 24 March, 2020, 05:08:04 pm »
Almost complete absence of the sound of twos-and-blues.  Especially in the rush hours they were so common that I didn't realise how frequent they were until now when there aren't any.  None yesterday, nor today. 
Interesting. Heard a rapid drop in the first couple of days here but since then a major increase. Haven't been out to see any so don't know if police or ambulance.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #130 on: 24 March, 2020, 05:13:33 pm »
Surrey is only policed on Wednesdays between 2pm and 4pm, so I'll let you know if they get the county's police car out.

« Reply #131 on: 24 March, 2020, 05:15:09 pm »
My neighbor with a noisy motorbike is no longer leaving for work at 5am, I thought I'd been sleeping well but it wasn't till he started it just now that I realised why. 

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #132 on: 24 March, 2020, 05:30:55 pm »
No clouds today.

So what will happen when there’s no more  chemtrails?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #133 on: 24 March, 2020, 06:02:13 pm »
Interesting. Heard a rapid drop in the first couple of days here but since then a major increase. Haven't been out to see any so don't know if police or ambulance.

Normal amount here, but we're round the corner from a fire station and between a major hospital and the centre of town.

There has been notable a reduction in car horn use, I think I've only heard one today (a 'no, you reverse' stand-off outside our house, not from the main road).

<fx: emergency siren in distance>

Still plenty of people driving around in cars, though traffic is lighter than the average Sunday.  Students appear to have mostly gone home (though the ones on the other side of my wall are still giggling), as evidenced by a reduction in parked cars, overflowing wheeliebins and That Fucking Burglar Alarm On $adjacent_road going off...

<fx: emergency siren in distance>

...repeatedly at antisocial hours.

I've just realised:  The sirens are passing quickly.  There's a doppler shift and everything.  Normally (during the day time) they have to squeeze their way through stationary traffic at the bottom of Silly Oak.

« Reply #134 on: 24 March, 2020, 06:15:34 pm »
No clouds today.

Ours are all coal-fired clouds, courtesy of Drax.

Hopefully they will be nicer when they get rid of coal soon.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #136 on: 24 March, 2020, 06:48:38 pm »
No clouds today.

Ours are all coal-fired clouds, courtesy of Drax.

Hopefully they will be nicer when they get rid of coal soon.

Coal fired water vapour of course - although weren’t Drax playing with pellet power?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #137 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:14:31 pm »
DRAX was accelerating it's move to 100% biomass firing, existential threats tend to do that.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #138 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:22:35 pm »
A bloke I know, or rather "know" online (have met him once), who has been unemployed for several years with various mental health issues, during which time he's made a couple of unsuccessful attempts to return to work, has just got himself employed as a delivery driver for one of the supermarkets. He's optimistic about it and it's useful for him, useful at this time for others.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #139 on: 25 March, 2020, 12:27:37 am »

Roughly the same number here...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #140 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:02:21 am »
No junk mail in the letter-box.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rob

« Reply #141 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:13:07 am »
DRAX was accelerating it's move to 100% biomass firing, existential threats tend to do that.

4 out of 6 units running on 100% biomass (wood pellets).   There was about 300MW of coal running yesterday.   Peak demand looked like about 37/38GW.   Less than 1%.

I was showing the charts to my teenager last night, trying to demonstrate that I do something of use.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #142 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:35:19 am »
No junk mail in the letter-box.
We got a flier from some local funeral service yesterday.  :facepalm:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #143 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:50:48 am »
With a Loyalty Card?
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #144 on: 25 March, 2020, 11:30:05 am »
Don't be silly!

3 for the price of 2.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #145 on: 25 March, 2020, 12:01:38 pm »
Don't be silly!

3 for the price of 2.
There's only 2 of us here so a bogof would be better.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #146 on: 25 March, 2020, 12:31:49 pm »
Went out for supplies, exercise and sunshine. Impressed by signs limiting entry on many shops. And some "socially responsible" pavement graffiit: "This is 2m". Elemental Bakery (yes, that's its name, but everyone calls it Esme's or – even though it's been open about five years – the pop-up bakery) had brownies.  :thumbsup: And saw a neighbour's child practising unicycling – difficult on a steep hill – and an elderly neighbour post-knee replacement enjoying the freedom to stick-stick her way up the empty road.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #147 on: 25 March, 2020, 05:11:28 pm »
Birds watched from my Home Office:

Loads of blue tits.
Ditto starlings
A pair of buzzards
A red kite
An unknown raptor, smaller than a buzzard and wrong wing shape, being taunted by a crow. I'm suspecting either a kestrel or a sparrow hawk.

Bonus things to make me smile:
The noise of squealing kids playing in the neighbouring garden
The rainbow things the kids downstair havestuck to the window.
People smiling and saying hello (from a safe distance) when I nipped out for shopping.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #148 on: 25 March, 2020, 05:23:08 pm »
I'd forgotten that back when I was WFH regularly, I used to see marsh harriers* from my office window, mostly floating over the woods. Spotted them again yesterday afternoon.

Been hearing a lot of woodpeckers but haven't spotted any yet, greater or lesser.

*unconfirmed, and I'm no ornithologist, but after much detective work, I'm pretty sure that's what they are.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #149 on: 25 March, 2020, 06:30:16 pm »
It's really quiet outside  :thumbsup: