Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195815 times)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #500 on: 02 July, 2016, 08:50:08 am »
Garth Baines has a tracker and going well as normal in richmond as I type.
shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0vcSvCpkdLO90ATgOon583LaDBET8vDLA

« Reply #501 on: 02 July, 2016, 10:12:07 am »
I can't bring that up - but if he's in Richmond, I think he may be off course.

« Reply #502 on: 02 July, 2016, 12:01:47 pm »
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

simonp

« Reply #503 on: 02 July, 2016, 12:05:41 pm »
I'm on the way back to the start to collect teh car. It's very windy. Hope it drops by Monday.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #504 on: 02 July, 2016, 12:53:21 pm »
Here's the full url of Gareth's tracker:
 http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0vcSvCpkdLO90ATgOon583LaDBET8vDLA

Oops forum curse, he has scratched with Achilles problems according to twitter

« Reply #505 on: 02 July, 2016, 01:03:48 pm »
That's a shame. Gareth was going strong on the Mr P's 600 three weeks ago. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #506 on: 02 July, 2016, 01:24:50 pm »
A few more photos from yesterday.  There's a whole load more at https://flic.kr/s/aHskCwfQVq - feel free to put names to 'em if you can.

Sandside, about two hours and 60km in with a decent tailwind from the start:

And on Dunmail Raise.  First (I think) overt the top:

Tandem-wrestling:

Climbing out from Grasmere:

Looks like Aidan Hedley to me:

Best bike on show, for me, was this Raleigh Record Ace:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #507 on: 02 July, 2016, 01:52:29 pm »
A few more photos from yesterday.  There's a whole load more at https://flic.kr/s/aHskCwfQVq - feel free to put names to 'em if you can.

Sandside, about two hours and 60km in with a decent tailwind from the start:

And on Dunmail Raise.  First (I think) overt the top:

Might be Gareth Baines in a Bristol South jersey^ Or actually it looks more like Alex Bend.

Tandem-wrestling:

Reg T behind the tandem.

Climbing out from Grasmere:

Looks like Aidan Hedley to me:

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #508 on: 02 July, 2016, 02:04:02 pm »
3rd pic (LEL shrt) is bianchiboy  (alias Steve from Reading)

I think he's my nearest "local" rider on this event. Sandside is a mile from where I lived, aged 0-5!

That road floods (well, it used to, all those years ago ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #509 on: 02 July, 2016, 02:39:32 pm »
That road floods (well, it used to, all those years ago ... )

It still does, Matt, frequently.  I did wonder if Andy had factored that into the start date/time, seeing as it was low tide when the riders went through.

« Reply #510 on: 02 July, 2016, 06:29:27 pm »
After a bit of soul searching I decided to call it a day at Stanhope this morning, rode back to Darlington (more hills!) to pick up the quick trains back south. I was going ok, plenty of time but my heart wasn't in it and not really prepared for the tough terrain.

Good to see Marcus at the start, and Swisshat who I rode with for much of yesterday until Hardknott. Felt a bit beaten up by Windermere but some food got me back on the road and enjoyed the fast rolling section to Askririg. A great set-up here, thanks Andy. Didn't sleep well despite having a bunk room. Back on the road at 5am but that opening section is a leg breaker, around 1500m in 64k. Apologies akin, not much company on the road or at the control, i'd decided back in Barnard castle to pack but wanted to ride up to the control in case things changed - they didn't.

It's a tough event but rewarding I'm sure for all those who will complete. Good luck to all. My bag is still at the control, have emailed Andy as there is no number published on the event info. I may need to arrange a courier to collect now. Maybe he might read this - please text or em me if you get a chance.

Oh well, it's only a bike ride.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #511 on: 02 July, 2016, 08:34:42 pm »
Sorry to hear that blueskies.

Today has been bonkers.

Weather has been challenging and terrain insane.

My tracker appears to stopped. When I leave this coffee emporium I will poke it with a big stick.

Hard hard day and still 100km to do. Brutal.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #512 on: 02 July, 2016, 09:22:49 pm »
I'm out

Those insane descents on day 1 pretty much wore out my disk brake pads

But I didn't realise the funny noises meant this until Hexham on day 2 when the front brake jammed solid

The front calliper and rota are a write off

The wind had turned against us for day 2, it was brutal

Lovely views for the whole event, wish I'd been lighter, fitter a
and more up on disk brake 101

Got a train back from Hexham with Mikey

« Reply #513 on: 02 July, 2016, 09:52:01 pm »
Bikey mikey scratched too?

« Reply #514 on: 02 July, 2016, 11:21:39 pm »
I'm out too,

Got to just after Langthwaite on day 2 and had had enough.

Rode back to Bispham to collect my car

:sick:
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #515 on: 03 July, 2016, 01:17:08 am »
I'm not surprised at the attrition rate: I had to have a lie down after looking at the route when it was published.  Hope you aren't too disappointed if you've had to pull out and hope you recover quickly if you are suffering.  It gives an angle on the magnitude of this event when someone can withdraw in Langthwaite (up Arkengarthdale on the east of Tan Hill) and then ride all the way over to the west coast to pick up the car.  That latter alone is further than most of us ride!

Good luck to you all

Peter

simonp

« Reply #516 on: 03 July, 2016, 02:11:28 am »
If anyone does get round an carries a GPS - can you tell us the climb figure?

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #517 on: 03 July, 2016, 02:21:04 am »
58 riders are still going. 9 have passed through Askrigg, the central control at 646 km for the second time.

Andy Corless

« Reply #518 on: 03 July, 2016, 07:53:47 am »
Marcus is going well.  I'm tired out just looking at his tracker!

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #519 on: 03 July, 2016, 09:39:13 am »
Quit at Newcastleton last night.  Was just about inside the cutoff but not getting any quicker. Couldn't see me making up any more time so would have no sleep  at Askrigg if I made it there maybe mid-morning Sunday.  I think some poor health a couple of weeks ago caught up with me, maybe not back to 100% yet.

Ride started well.  Rode with lots of company on morning of day 1, felt like a normal audax at that stage. Field strung out after that.  Rain hit hard over dunmail rise and whinlatter but overall not to bad.  Made it over hard knott wrynose before dark and the ride to Askrigg was fine but the hills out of Kendal hit hard.  Made it to Askrigg 0225. Control was full by then I'm sure I saw someone sleeping on the pool table! I had some sleep on the floor.

Day 2 really tough,  killer hills and it was clear that I was struggling.  Stopped for breakfast in Barnard Castle with a couple who were packing then rode on to Stanhope.  I had been riding with Bikeability man most of the event to then who went ahead.  Huge thanks for his support and company.  Hope you get round.

Met Karl and Sully outside Stanhope,  they had been stuck for over an hour trying to fix  a very problem on Sullys bike.  I rode with them to Hexham where they packed.  A real shame.  That section was really windy  over the top, Karl was blown off at one stage giving us a good excuse to walk for a few yards on that Hill.

I rode on alone to Kielder and got there at the cut off but knew that  I hadn't the strength to keep this up all night and until Monday afternoon. I quit at Newcastleton ride down to Carlisle and found a hotel.

Huge thanks to Andy and the team for organising the event, still working like to trojans,  I can only imagine what the control at Askrigg looks like at the moment! And big congrats to all that will finish the event,  huge chapeau!

« Reply #520 on: 03 July, 2016, 09:58:46 am »
I'm oot. Packed just shy of Stanhope at silly o'clock, and suffered the ignominy of riding against the flow back to Barnard Castle.

Day one was great - massive tandem train, mostly speedy controls. Was riding with my bastard quick mate Tom, but saw blueskies, TOBY, Paul D etc. Cleared Hardknott and Wrynose no bother with 32/34. Started to feel a bit iffy with 20km to go, but got back to control at 10.45, where me and Tom grabbed the coveted room 2 - two beds and an en suite. Sorted.

Except, despite getting in to bed at 11.30, I tossed and turned sweating until 3, then the alarm went off at 3.45. was on the road by 4.10. was okay ish but holding Tom up. Started shivering and my heart rate kept dropping and I had stomach cramps. Then the rain appeared ahead. I couldn't face riding in to it, and felt grim. I sent Tom up the road whilst I ate to see if my guts settled but they didn't. I headed back to Costa at Barnard Castle, where I sat until my guts were safe enough to allow me to ride back to Askrigg. The plan was to grab dry clothes (got soaked riding back) and head to Blackpool. Got back for noon, but the control was locked. Tried to dry out in the café and pub, but in the end waited for Andy to get back at five. Was going to sleep at askrigg, but Simon P offered a lift to Blackpool to grab my car. Retraced to Askrigg to grab my bike, and back home by midnight. Definitely the right decision given the state of my guts, but disappointing first ever DNF.

« Reply #521 on: 03 July, 2016, 10:13:13 am »

Who else is on fixed apart from Jonah & jahs (above)?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #522 on: 03 July, 2016, 10:30:58 am »
If anyone does get round an carries a GPS - can you tell us the climb figure?

In metric, a fuckload.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #523 on: 03 July, 2016, 10:32:47 am »

Climbing out from Grasmere:Looks like Mike Sheldrake of LFCC

LFCC

« Reply #524 on: 03 July, 2016, 01:12:57 pm »

I had a word with the rider when he got to Askrigg on the second loop. He'd gone straight out at about 11pm on Friday, and was back again on Saturday, a couple of hours ahead of the next rider. Fitting 700C wheels, in place of the original 27"s  and deep-drop Tektro brakes leaves space for 35 mm tyres.