Author Topic: The "modern life is rubbish" thread  (Read 10628 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The "modern life is rubbish" thread
« on: 06 April, 2012, 06:20:30 pm »
Not a rant or even a grumble, just observations on how some corporations just aren't making an effort.

Badly-dubbed TV adverts.

TV Adverts where they join another one onto the end - "And now, new Toilet Duck a l'orange!*"

Slightly smaller chocolate bars in multipacks.

Modern pop singles where all the singing sounds vocoded because it's been produced by a cretin.

Disposable propelling pencils.

More than two cup holders in the front of any car.

Any own-brand electrical fittings from the major DIY chains, which have screws that strip and have apparently been designed by someone who never tried to wire them up.

*if they don't make it, they should.  I want royalties.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

AndyK

Re: The "modern life is rubbish" thread
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »
Open ended American 'dramas' with massive production values but zero content.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:23:43 pm »
Good thread - but it's very much along the lines of the book "Is it me, or is everything just shit?"; to which of course, the answer is always "Yes - so?".

One of my favourites from that particular book - Serving Suggestions, such as - on a box of tea bags, a picture of a cup of tea.

AndyK

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »
Safety warnings printed on abso-frickin-lutely everything.

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:29:54 pm »

One of my favourites from that particular book - Serving Suggestions, such as - on a box of tea bags, a picture of a cup of tea.

Well, you wouldn't want someone buying it thinking it included hot water and a cup, would you?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:41:53 pm »
On the whole, I'm a fan of modern life...

...but I do sometimes wonder when I think about some of the great engineering projects of the past.  Aerospace certainly comes to mind: within 20 years of the Wright brothers, flying passengers around was getting pretty routine.  The pace of development of military jets after WW2 was little short of stunning, and once rocketry got of the ground that moved pretty quickly for a few years too.  But the last three decades?  I'm struggling to think of any real innovation, short of the JSF avionics apparently breaking the 10M-lines-of-code barrier.

(STS-1 flew in April 1981.  First flight of a production stealth aircraft a few months later.  Someone please think of a major landmark since then?)
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:27:01 pm »
On the whole, I'm a fan of modern life...

...but I do sometimes wonder when I think about some of the great engineering projects of the past.  Aerospace certainly comes to mind: within 20 years of the Wright brothers, flying passengers around was getting pretty routine.  The pace of development of military jets after WW2 was little short of stunning, and once rocketry got of the ground that moved pretty quickly for a few years too.  But the last three decades?  I'm struggling to think of any real innovation, short of the JSF avionics apparently breaking the 10M-lines-of-code barrier.

(STS-1 flew in April 1981.  First flight of a production stealth aircraft a few months later.  Someone please think of a major landmark since then?)

The next landmark will be a single-stage-to-orbit, fully reusable space launch vehicle. The BRITONS could have been first with HOTOL, but that got nixed for a variety of reasons. The Yanks have been tinkering with SSTO for years, but their last attempt, the Venturestar project, effectively died a death when the X-33 technology demonstrator was cancelled due to weight/fuel fraction issues in 2001. In many ways, it was what the Space Shuttle should have been in the first place...

Interestingly, a number of the guys who worked on HOTOL and its engine went and formed Reaction Engines Ltd., a company that's got an interesting project called Skyon on the go.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:30:04 pm »
Oh, and while we are at it, where's my jet-pack?

We were promised jet-packs... and bacofoil suits, and robot butlers...

The future sure isn't what it used to be.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:31:02 pm »
Good thread - but it's very much along the lines of the book "Is it me, or is everything just shit?"; to which of course, the answer is always "Yes - so?".

Perhaps some people may purchase tea bags to chew on like chewing tobacco?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:53:05 pm »

Norwegian SNUS is what you are thinking of.

http://www.swedish-snus.com/
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 06 April, 2012, 08:01:58 pm »

Or to use as bedding material for plants.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 06 April, 2012, 08:05:42 pm »
Badly-dubbed TV adverts.
I like the way they manage to use actors who could plausibly be from anywhere between Tokyo and Iceland. What they fail on, apart from the dubbing, is the 'lifestyle' background - certainly watching them in Poland is odd because although all the characters could pass as Polish individually, put them together in the advert living room or wherever it may be, and no way do they resemble a Polish household. I suppose if this was POBI I could draw a moral about society from this, but it's not, so I won't.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 06 April, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »

Disposable propelling pencils.

Just wrong. Clutch pencils are the only acceptable form.

« Reply #13 on: 06 April, 2012, 08:23:56 pm »
Oh, and while we are at it, where's my jet-pack?

We were promised jet-packs... and bacofoil suits, and robot butlers...

The future sure isn't what it used to be.

POTD

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #14 on: 06 April, 2012, 08:26:28 pm »
A 3 inch soft toy with a 6 inch 'CE' safety label . . .

Silica gel labelled 'DO NOT EAT' . . . FFS!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #15 on: 06 April, 2012, 08:38:36 pm »
Anyone remember Tommorow' s World and the wonder material from the then British Steel, 'BAM'?  Could have been April 1st thinking about it in retrospect.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 06 April, 2012, 09:27:52 pm »
Everything (like crisps and chocolate bars) wrapped in plasticised foil that isn't biodegradable or recyclable.

Bicycle brake pad refills that cost ten quid a pair.  It's a small block of rubber FFS.

eBay listings that say "from China" or "from USA" when you're on the UK site and haven't selected the international option.  Have they never heard of punitive shipping, duty and VAT costs?

Starbucks coffee, which tastes like strong Happy Shopper instant with some burnt toast grated into it.

Trains without enough luggage space.  Even for normal luggage, not bikes.  This isn't the 1980s any more, when you could safely assume a cross-country train would only be half full.

Most Microsoft software.  Excel jumped the shark after 5.0, Word after 2.0 and Windows after XP.  Now it's just eye candy that gets in the way.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #17 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:07:10 pm »
Trains without enough luggage space.  Even for normal luggage, not bikes. 
Trains without luggage space & which terminate at an airport, FFS!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #18 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:12:34 pm »
Hey, rocket science was far more fun than grumbling about crass materialism.  Ah well.

Back into the spirit of things: organisations that require interaction via voice telephony.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:27:30 pm »
Noise.  Frickin noise.

Even the cafe in Llandysul. 
I'd like to relax with the papers.  How am I supposed to relax when every coffee you serve involves that sort of noise?  And then you decide that you need to set off the bloody coffee bean grinder.
Has anyone ever taken a db meter into one of these places?  I reckon the staff who are in there all day are in danger of hearing damage.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #20 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:35:46 pm »
Trains without enough luggage space.  Even for normal luggage, not bikes. 
Trains without luggage space & which terminate at an airport, FFS!

This this this this!

And on the subject of trains. Why aren't platforms and train steps at the same height? How hard can it be to make it so that there isn't a seven foot chasm to negociate?

Shops that have their doors open in all weathers, and heaters blasting over those doors. Even more, shops that have doors closed, feeling they have to have a notice on the doors saying "yes, we are open, please push the door...."
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #21 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:44:35 pm »
And the way the future seems to have gone backwards. I was looking at a book with nephew Oli (4) a while ago, his Doring Kindersly book of Things That Go.

"Oh, look" I said, "that's Concorde, that flies, er, flew, really fast. And that's a Harrier. That flies, er, flew, straight up and down."

Turn page.

"Oh. That's the Space Shuttle...."

:facepalm:
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #22 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:45:57 pm »

...Even more, shops that have doors closed, feeling they have to have a notice on the doors saying "yes, we are open, please push the door...."

LOL to be fair, I spent about 10 minutes stood outside a pet store in Fishguard cos when I pushed the door, it didn't open, so I assumed the proprietor had gone for lunch or something...only to find when someone else arrived that the door was just rather stuck!   ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #23 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:54:02 pm »
Patio heaters  ::-)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #24 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:56:08 pm »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.