Author Topic: On line banking remembering codes and memorabal names  (Read 3925 times)

ian

Re: On line banking remembering codes and memorabal names
« Reply #25 on: 01 August, 2019, 09:28:45 am »
I find the sync'ed messages thing useful for 2FA because I can copy and paste and job done. Otherwise I have to play a game of hunt the phone (which may be 20 miles away). I think a minimal security risk, the SMS comes in instantly after I've typed the first password and doesn't give me a chance to wander off.

Any security system is hackable, but generally there's so much low hanging fruit there's little point trying to get by anything even vaguely difficult. My Netflix got nabbed by a Peruvian last year, checking back it was an ancient pwned password that I'd never changed. I let Safari do the password thing now.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 01 August, 2019, 10:27:52 am »
I let Safari do the password thing now.

I do that too, or rather I let Chrome do it, but unlike Safari, Chrome can't link iPhone apps to the keychain so you need to track down and retype your very secure but entirely unmemorable password when logging in via apps.

I'm trying to wean myself off Chrome and go back to Safari but it's so much effort.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #27 on: 01 August, 2019, 10:43:10 am »
My only gripe with keychain is that it won't for instance, offer up passwords outside of Safari, even for Apple native apps like Mail (I know I'm expecting too much for Cisco). So to VPN, for instance, I have to open Keychain and copy and paste the bloody password. OK, first world annoyance, an entire 20 seconds of my day...

I dumped Chrome a while back, very happy with Safari now.

« Reply #28 on: 02 August, 2019, 11:57:20 pm »
I can remember my online banking password but it's 15 letters long and I'm not able pick out 3 random letters from it in my head. I could recite it and use my fingers to count it out but It's quicker to have the password written down in an encrypted text file which is on my full disk encrypted laptop (2 different passwords).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 03 August, 2019, 12:11:38 am »
My only gripe with keychain is that it won't for instance, offer up passwords outside of Safari, even for Apple native apps like Mail (I know I'm expecting too much for Cisco). So to VPN, for instance, I have to open Keychain and copy and paste the bloody password. OK, first world annoyance, an entire 20 seconds of my day...

I dumped Chrome a while back, very happy with Safari now.

You can get the passwords out, on a Mac, using Keychain Access. Other than that, I agree, and that's why I use 1Password. You actually get to see the passwords on a device, if you, the password creator and user, wants to.
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #30 on: 03 August, 2019, 12:52:25 am »
Just endured this myself.

My biggest problem with this memorable words is that I don't follow a sport ball team so how the feck will I be able to remember one random one I pick (heck even what sport) in say 3 months time.

I can't remember my teachers name, changed school many a time and Danes don't suffer from the same thing that that Brits do, the ability to remember every teacher you had :)

I don't really have a favorite actor, like many films and every week the best movie I have watched will have changed.

And best of all my granddads name is shorter than the minimum amount of letters that my bank allows your granddads to have.

Oh that goes for your favorite pet too, oh I have had many and none of them have been a favorite one.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #31 on: 03 August, 2019, 01:01:15 am »
We should have a thread for best Security Questions

in fact I'll start one..
It is simpler than it looks.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #32 on: 03 August, 2019, 01:21:36 am »
I went with Dashlane personally, it's paid for but its working well. I like that they scan leaks and inform you when your email or something has been acquired via a hack on randomsite.com.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 03 August, 2019, 08:59:36 am »
My Dad used to tell us tales of a fictional character he had imagined, when we were small.

Its name is my password in several places but sadly not long enough in others.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #34 on: 03 August, 2019, 11:32:54 am »
I have a system for creating memorable yet pretty secure passwords... but I’m not going to share it here, for obvious reasons.

I don’t use a different password for absolutely everything (I have a set of about 10) but do use unique ones for things like online banking.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."