Author Topic: Borders of Belgium 2020  (Read 10473 times)

Re: Borders of Belgium 2020
« Reply #50 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:51:25 pm »
That comes as both a disappointment and a relief  :-\ On the one hand I looked forward to it, knowing from two years ago this is a superbly organised event, and my first brevet (a 400) since February went fairly well. On the other hand, I have not done alot of miles and/or proper training in the past months, which made itself felt on that brevet too. And this does not bode well for a 1000km through the Ardennes. Oh well, the decision to start or not is out of my hands now...

Commiserations for the disappointment you (and your team) must feel too Rohnny, after all the preparation and organising you have been busy with.

And Rohnny: 2 september 2021 is roughly two weeks after LEL; as much as I would like to ride both, I would need more time for recovery  :( How set in stone is that starting date?

Slightly off-topic: do you know if the 600km from Oostende on August 8 will be canceled too (the registration page still works)?

I feel really sick about the move to 2021, but it's the only option. In some parts of Flanders there's an curfew between 23 and 6h. On top of that it is mandatory to wear a face mask, even while cycling.
Indeed: LEL ends 3 weeks before BOB. I also want to ride LEL, but I guess it will be impossible due to all the preparation. 2/9/21 is not set in stone, no. But the national calendar is always packed and I don't want to take the date of some other yearly organisation. As always, our calendar will be official in october. If another spot comes available, we will consider moving.

About other Belgian organisations: No idea what will be decided. The new measures were announced yesterday, so I guess they will have a meeting about the coming BRM's. For example: The track of the BRM 600 of Oostende goes through Gent. In the center of Gent it is mandatory to wear a face mask while cycling.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #51 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:38:20 pm »
Positive for me I guess, I was a DNS for an injury as well as building up to distance reasons but if restrictions are eased early enough in 2021...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #52 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:38:42 pm »
And Rohnny: 2 september 2021 is roughly two weeks after LEL
There is no guarantee LEL will happen. Restrictions on international travel mean riders from the US and Asia may be doubtful about traveling, and millions will have lost their jobs by then so won't have the money. A big fall in numbers may mean it is financially unviable. No one knows what the sleeping arrangements will have to be so no one can be sure there is the capacity to cope with riders. Social distancing for exhausted riders sleeping on the floor of a school sports hall? We can be sure there won't be a vaccine by then, but not sure of much else. I'd say there's far more chance of Rohnny's event happening than LEL. But I know less than just about everybody.....
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:52:02 pm »
And Rohnny: 2 september 2021 is roughly two weeks after LEL
There is no guarantee LEL will happen. Restrictions on international travel mean riders from the US and Asia may be doubtful about traveling, and millions will have lost their jobs by then so won't have the money. A big fall in numbers may mean it is financially unviable. No one knows what the sleeping arrangements will have to be so no one can be sure there is the capacity to cope with riders. Social distancing for exhausted riders sleeping on the floor of a school sports hall? We can be sure there won't be a vaccine by then, but not sure of much else. I'd say there's far more chance of Rohnny's event happening than LEL. But I know less than just about everybody.....

I'm having similar thoughts. We're putting a lot of hope in things being relatively normal by this time next year. That feels like a big hope...
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #54 on: 29 July, 2020, 11:09:15 pm »
Yup. I've stopped saying it to people I know as they dislike the idea. But there will be no vaccine within one year. We can be sure there'll be an economic catastrophe, worldwide. Millions will lose their jobs. Only the rich will not suffer. What the political impact will be, I shudder to think. I'm doing DIY by GPS routes to stay sane.
See you on the other side.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #55 on: 29 July, 2020, 11:49:59 pm »
My commiserations to Rohnny and all affected by this, which is basically all of us. I fear it's going to be a long road back.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #56 on: 12 November, 2020, 02:00:17 pm »
Well that's one thing (again tentatively) in the calendar for 2021
looking at the rider list looks like there could be a few of us Midlanders who might ride over  ;D

« Reply #57 on: 12 November, 2020, 03:40:50 pm »
I think you may well be right there, Jack.

...assuming it goes ahead that is!  :P

« Reply #58 on: 17 June, 2021, 06:28:26 am »
It seems to be going ahead but with some changes.

More here https://bordersofbelgium2020.weebly.com/

No beds no food

But still one dropbag stop

Spread starts and clockwise.

Need to get the miles up now.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #59 on: 17 June, 2021, 01:25:34 pm »
Basically I need Belgium on both Scotland and England's Green list to be able to go or face 2 weeks unpaid leave...

So my chances of doing it are slim to non sadly.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk