General Category > The Knowledge

Dry feet

(1/6) > >>

quixoticgeek:

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to have dry feet when cycling for 10+ hours in constant rain? I had shoe covers over sealskinz socks. But the problem was water running down my legs into my socks. Where the waterproof socks jest held it in place ?

Can feet be dry when riding in such conditions? And if so how ?

I had similar issues with rain running down my neck onto my jersey, and wicking up my arm warmers from my gloves.

J

Kim:
No.  Hands and feet produce sweat when cycling.  They'll get wet even in a position where gravity is a non-issue.

quixoticgeek:

--- Quote from: Kim on 14 September, 2021, 11:03:25 am ---No.  Hands and feet produce sweat when cycling.  They'll get wet even when gravity is a non-issue.

--- End quote ---

Yes but not at a level where you take the socks off and pour a puddle of water on the floor... I hope...

This was epic soaking :(

J

nuttycyclist:
In my opinion, no.

I've read many tricks such as cutting the cuffs off of rubber gloves to form a seal around the leg/sock, but they fail.  A completely sealed shoe just has me with wet feet from sweat.

My solution is to embrace the wet by using clothing that is still warm even if wet.   In the infamous "Nutty's slimed bottom" incident, where my riding partner was worried that I'd been swimming in cycling gear and there was frost on the ground and insisted we return home, I refused as we were nearly halfway around the circular ride we were checking for the Council so continued.   When I got home I was still wet, but warm.

Riding long distances in rain (and I've done more than 10 hours in the past) I know that the rain will be trickling down inside the waterproofs, my legs will be wet, and nothing anywhere will be dry.  Stopping at public toilets and abusing the hand dryers to reduce a little dampness by blowing the air inside the clothing is a treat, but not essential.

nuttycyclist:

--- Quote from: quixoticgeek on 14 September, 2021, 11:05:03 am ---
--- Quote from: Kim on 14 September, 2021, 11:03:25 am ---No.  Hands and feet produce sweat when cycling.  They'll get wet even when gravity is a non-issue.

--- End quote ---

Yes but not at a level where you take the socks off and pour a puddle of water on the floor... I hope...

This was epic soaking :(

J

--- End quote ---

I don't think it got published, but after one long wet audax I took my gloves off and rung nearly a glassful of water out of them.  I know it was nearly a glassful as that's where I was videoed squeezing it into in order to save the floor of the hired village hall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version