Author Topic: Susan Boyle - Britain's Got Talent  (Read 10112 times)

Re: Susan Boyle - Britain's Got Talent
« Reply #50 on: 23 November, 2009, 07:29:00 pm »
It is pretty good isn't it. Better than the Catherine Jenkins crossover stuff (or Catherine Jenkins dodgy classical stuff for that matter). Unfortunately for career longevity Catherine Jenkins looks better in the videos and seems reasonably sane.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #51 on: 23 November, 2009, 07:32:04 pm »
Unfortunately for career longevity Catherine Jenkins looks better in the videos and seems reasonably sane.
You wouldn't want to wake up next to Susan Boyle!!   :hand:

Brilliant voice, but a little bit loony mad unpredictable.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #52 on: 23 November, 2009, 07:38:31 pm »
Unfortunately for career longevity Catherine Jenkins looks better in the videos and seems reasonably sane.

So, you think she should be wearing hi-vis eh?
It is simpler than it looks.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #53 on: 23 November, 2009, 07:41:15 pm »

So, you think she should be wearing hi-vis eh?
Au contrair!!! I think that she will have a most excellent radio career!!   ;)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #54 on: 23 November, 2009, 08:24:32 pm »

Susan Boyle has learning disabilities following oxygen deprivation at birth, and I suspect doesn't have the skills or the experience to deal with the situation she's found herself in. I'm sure that with the right support and a sympathetic record company and management team, she'll be fine. On the other hand, they could treat her as a short term cash cow, milk her dry and abandon her.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #55 on: 23 November, 2009, 08:33:53 pm »
Kirst, I think the latter is more likely.

Even if it isn't and she wishes to drop out of the public eye in a year or so's time having made a comfortable amount of money, the media are never going to forget.
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

« Reply #56 on: 25 November, 2009, 03:25:41 pm »
. I'm sure that with the right support and a sympathetic record company and management team, she'll be fine. On the other hand, they could treat her as a short term cash cow, milk her dry and abandon her.

Ah yes, the sympathetic record company, just next to the Unicorn Stables and across the road from Nick Griffin's Hip-Hop club.

All acts are milked dry and abandoned when you think about it.  It's just that some have more milk. (I'm already feeling slightly queasy about this "milking Susan Boyle/Cow" analogy).

Her new album is selling by the lorry load, the same will happen in the US so she'll be a millionaire before her milk runs dry.

I assume she will make a follow on before people realise that there are better singers.

Remember, it's not that the dog is a good dancer, it's that the dog can dance at all.

« Reply #57 on: 25 November, 2009, 05:13:59 pm »
There aren't that many better singers as in hold a tune and hit all the right notes with a lovely tone kind of definition of singing. The problem is that doesn't make you a great artist. It's difficult to put your finger on what makes a great singer but you know it when you hear it. Opposite extremes would be Karen Carpenter, a beautiful note perfect voice but that wasn't what made her great it was that combined with the fact that listening to her makes you want to cry or Tom Waits, can't sing worth a damn but still his singing moves you. Susan Boyle has a beautiful voice but it doesn't move you (or me at least) in the same way. It's the same with any kind of music really some people can play a tune note perfectly but only some players move you.
That said the Susan Boyle version of Wild Horses is excellent probably because it is a proper reinterpretation of the song.

« Reply #58 on: 25 November, 2009, 08:13:44 pm »
I heard her version of Wild Horses on the radio on Saturday, without knowing who it was. I liked it. Interesting she's gone for a rock song as her first single rather than something dreary and predictable from a musical.

I don't like her version. It's emotionless. It's meant to be about a f*cked-up relationship and raw angst. The Jagger version breaks my heart. The Sunday's version (used in The Prom episode of Buffy) leaves me in tears. But Susan Boyle sings her version as clinically and detatchedly as a Disney Princess singing the "I want" song. Yes, she hits those high notes spectacularly, but it's two-dimensional - there's no soul behind it.

It makes me wonder what song reality TV is going to crucify next. Last Christmas it was Hallelujah. Now it's Wild Horses. I understand from my hairdresser that X-Factor is due to finish soon, so that'll be another guaranteed number one, no matter how awful it is. :sick:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #59 on: 25 November, 2009, 10:11:38 pm »
Ah. I'd read it as "Crazy Horses".

By The Osmonds. 

Sense quotient was tending towards zero I must admit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #60 on: 25 November, 2009, 10:22:54 pm »
Oooooh that would be worth hearing.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #61 on: 25 November, 2009, 10:24:41 pm »
But can Susan Boyle dance like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yiNnDpIW918&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/yiNnDpIW918&rel=1</a>? :o
Getting there...

« Reply #62 on: 25 November, 2009, 10:24:47 pm »
My favourite cover of Wild Horses is the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/07oufBC_JjQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/07oufBC_JjQ&rel=1</a> one though I am not sure it strictly counts as a cover as it was released before the Stones version and Gram heavily influenced the writing of it in the first place.

« Reply #63 on: 25 November, 2009, 10:33:08 pm »
It's just that some have more milk. (I'm already feeling slightly queasy about this "milking Susan Boyle/Cow" analogy)

It's putting me right off my hot chocolate, that's for sure  :-\

Legs

« Reply #64 on: 30 November, 2009, 09:11:14 am »
I had the misfortune of hearing her sing Madonna's You'll See on the radio a few days ago.  She sings all the right notes, and in the right order too(!), but just not at the right time .  She shows even less regard for the rhythm and timing that that hideous AA You Got a Friend ad where they try to cram the song into 10s less than the it should.  SuBo's effort gets marginally better once the instrumentation kicks in in the second half of the song, but otherwise it's nothing but pub karaoke dross.  :facepalm:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #65 on: 30 November, 2009, 09:18:58 am »
She reminds me of early Sarah Brightman in her delivery.

Stick her in the Live Lounge nad have her do Sandman.   :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.