Author Topic: Tea Duelling  (Read 2722 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Tea Duelling
« on: 22 May, 2012, 11:32:40 am »
At the weekend, Julian and I attended the Waltz on the Wye Steampunk Festival.  It was a glorious weekend, involving corsets, contraptions and Professor Elemental.

One of the highlights of the festival is the Tea Duelling competition and we had both resolved to test our mettle against the finest tea duellists in the land.  For those not acquainted with the intricacies of the Tea Duel, perhaps I should just quote from the Rules:

International Tea Duelling League
Rules and Regulations appertaining to the Noble and Ancient Art of Tea Duelling - Welsh Imperium

A mere three minutes is all the opening in which biscuits may be consumed, conversation upon a subject given by the judge [all contestants within a round have the same subject] will take place and good manners, wit, elegance and a clean cup are the aim of the contest.

Marks may be gained or lost for such matters as posture, pinkie usage, politeness, wit, clarity of speech, clarity of thought and amusing, preferably either original or apt quotation and good conversation. The other contestant and the judge are there to be amused, entertained and impressed.

Each competitor STARTS with a total of 20 points, thereafter the Judge will observe both the competitors and their conversation. Points will be gained or lost according to the Rules and Regulations, Judges Pointers [private]. Judges decisions are absolute.

In the unlikely event of a tie, the Judge at that table, prior to the Judges Huddle, will take a Rich Tea biscuit and break it before the competitors. The win goes to the side with the larger portion.

A Judges Huddle will take place immediately after the 3 minutes and competitors are requested to remain seated until the winners are declared privately to each table.

Competitors may then leave the arena. Winners may enter themselves for the next round, those who were not declared winners in this round may also enter themselves, but for the next year's competition. They will be most welcome as audience in the following rounds.

The honour of being crowned Tea Duelling Steampunk of the Year will be accompanied by the presentation of a perpetual trophy. Trophy to be returned in good order to the League at the commencement of the next Annual International Tea Duelling League's competition.

Julian and I won our first round and met each other in the heats.  She beat me, of course.

We worked our way up the leader board, with conversational subjects ranging from Krakens to Zepplins, to great Victorian accomplishments.  Rich Tea biscuits are surprisingly dry and I favoured the riskier tactic of dunking.  Julian made up points lost at the biscuit plate with her sparkling wit and encyclopaedic knowledge.

The semi finals brought with them a change in rules; the duel would now involve four minutes conversation and a compulsory fondant fancy. As you can imagine, by this stage we were almost twitching with the caffeine and sugar we'd consumed.  To my surprise and delight, we found ourself facing each other in the Grand Final:

The crowd fell silent:

The judge announced the subject and we were off:

Four minutes, one cup of tea, three biscuits and one fondant fancy.  All whilst discussing our favourite tea.  Could such a thing be possible?

Julian pushed ahead with the fondant fancy almost immediately:

It was a bold strategy - and led me to attempting an unorthodox move with my pinkie which didn't work as I'd planned.  When the judge called time, both cups were dry, both cakes were done - but I'd nudged ahead on the biscuit count.  Would it be enough?  There was a judges' huddle and the rules were consulted:

...and Julian was announced to have taken it by a whisker (although nobody mentioned whose whisker).  The first ever International Tea Duelling champion!

Would anyone be interested in forming a regional league?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Tea Duelling
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2012, 11:36:44 am »
Huzzah!

I would, of course, be eliminated in the first round for lack of poise, grabbing a pint mug of tea without milk in my fist and wetting my thumb with full-immersion dunking.
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:42:40 pm »
Excellent! But a blonde Aunty C? Isn't that a bit, well, TOWIE? ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:47:37 pm »

Let us pause for a moment to remember our soon-to-be-departed colleague TimC...

Back on topic... what a great day out!  I think Tea Duelling should be an Olympic event.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »
Ahem. Whilst a surefire way to get ahead in life is to say to a lady "you've done something to your hair", I fear your approach is a little, shall we say, cavalier.

And, golly, doesn't Julian look hawt. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:52:54 pm »
Huzzah!

I would, of course, be eliminated in the first round for lack of poise, grabbing a pint mug of tea without milk in my fist and wetting my thumb with full-immersion dunking.
Ah, but wouldn't you be a strong contender for the Yorkshire tea duelling championship?  Points awarded for tweed, flat caps and least number of syllables in a fully formed sentence.

Charlotte, that is absolutely fabulous.

I think I have discovered a new craze, which my dear lady would delight in (as long as it was coffee or alcohol instead of tea). she already has suitable boots and corset.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:56:22 pm »

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:57:00 pm »
I think I have discovered a new craze, which my dear lady would delight in (as long as it was coffee or alcohol instead of tea). she already has suitable boots and corset.

Coffee is not permitted, but the Surrey Rules allow you to doctor your tea with a shot of your favourite tipple.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »
Huzzah!

Ah, but wouldn't you be a strong contender for the Yorkshire tea duelling championship?  Points awarded for tweed, flat caps and least number of syllables in a fully formed sentence....

'appen.
Getting there...

Tea Duelling
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:02:36 pm »
Sounds splendid fun!  I doubt I'll enter myself as polite small talk isn't my forte...  Plus I'm more of a bacon butty man than Cucumber sandwiches...

Julian looks ravishingly elegant.... Corset & boots.......  has "little moment".....

;-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »

Julian always looks hawt!

Though to say so during a tea duel might be to forfeit the match.
Getting there...

TimC

« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:04:28 pm »

A fate worse than a fate worse than death? Again? ;D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:13:14 pm »

Julian always looks hawt!

Though to say so during a tea duel might be to forfeit the match.

*attempts elegant curtsey*

*falls over*

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:16:25 pm »
Too many fortifying tipples?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:17:16 pm »

*sharpens cake slice to a scary edge*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

TimC

« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:41:39 pm »
Did someone say cake?

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:08:43 pm »
The winner of the Tea Cup is awesome. (It's a dirty job but someone had to say it)

do you get your name engraved in Sharpie?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »
I favoured the riskier tactic of dunking.

Hmmm. If it were up to me, you'd lose points for dunking.

Sounds like lots of fun, though. Bravo, Julian! And well done for being a valiant runner-up, Charlotte.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2012, 07:54:09 pm »
Chuckle great stuff.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:43:16 pm »
Congratulations to both of you. Another string to Julian's bow of awesomeness and a fine runner-upship for Charlotte.

Fine photos too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »
Hehe, fabulous stuff! Perhaps we'll start a league in Portland. :)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2012, 09:57:02 pm »
Sounds splendid fun!  I doubt I'll enter myself as polite small talk isn't my forte...  Plus I'm more of a bacon butty man than Cucumber sandwiches...

Julian looks ravishingly elegant.... Corset & boots.......  has "little moment".....

;-)

I think there may have been a number of little moments at the start of this thread - add mine to the list....  O:-)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #22 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:57:22 pm »

How was DJ? (and could you understand him?)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!