Author Topic: 'bent virgin needs advice  (Read 4499 times)

Tail End Charlie

'bent virgin needs advice
« on: 11 October, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »
I've bought a 'bent from Polar Bear of this parish (what a nice chap, pleasure meeting him). A Challenge Hurricane and I'll post pictures when I can, but in the meantime any tips? Rode the bent back from the train station (15 miles or so) and found steering tricky (as well as setting off). It helped when I visualised where the front wheel actually was when turning, rather than where it felt it was (way in front).

Any thoughts or tips most welcome.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: 'bent virgin needs advice
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:07:38 pm »
Practice.  Specifically the low-speed control stuff at first.  A few hours of line-following, tight turns and bollard dodging at walking pace or lower in the local park will really let you get the hang of the steering.  Once you've got that, things like setting off uphill will become a lot easier wobble-wise.

You'll probably find the handling more intuitive with the seat in as upright a position as possible.  Once you've got some miles in, you can experiment with more reclined positions.

Use the gears.  Changing down when you stop makes it much easier to start, if it's not something you're already in the habit of doing.

Do some hard braking in controlled situations.  The geometry is quite different to an upright, and you'll be surprised what you can and can't get away with - while you can really slam the anchors on at the front (at least in the dry), you might find the rear skids quite easily, which is something to be prepared for if there's gravel about.

Other than that, it's just getting used to the handling of a new bike, really.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:03:30 pm »
Expect to be using different muscles - it'll take time to get the power up to the level you are used to on a DF. Plus I had quite bad pain in shins and ankles for the first 200 miles or so.

Spin!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:08:35 pm »
Spin!

This!  While it is possible to mash with terrifying amounts of torque on a bent, your knees will hate you for it, and it's not conducive to low-speed stability.

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2011, 09:20:23 am »
I'd second most of what is above.  Other than that, take it easy and take your time to get used to it.  It's a new type of bike and you've probably taken years to get used to the upright.  Enjoy.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2011, 09:51:07 am »
I've had my swb 'bent for a while now & due to very irregular use I feel like a novice still & read the foregoing with interest.I reckon the best place to practice is a disused rail trackl such as Manifold Valley,Tissington Trail,High Peak Trail*,particularly during weekdays.

*this was where I took mine for the first proper ride.Nice soft verges for elegantly executed** unplanned dismounts :)

** that might be a lie ;D

Tim

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2011, 10:04:22 am »
If you made a fifteen mile ride at the first attempt I doubt you are going to have any issues. For confidence it's about pulling away, steering and playing with traffic. After that it's about getting very comfortable, picking the right gear and building some slightly different muscles.

Just remember that the bike behaves differently from an upright - you follow a different line through corners, you brake later and you generally spin it up to speed...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2011, 10:25:40 am »
Learn to separate steering from pedalling.  Push back into the seat when you pedal hard - don't heave on the 'bars  :)

On an upright, you pull and push on the 'bars as you lean into the pedals.  If you do this onna 'bent you will shortly become reacquainted with the road surface in a manner you may take a dislike to.

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2011, 11:11:33 am »
Excellent, thanks for all those replies, they all make a huge amount of sense. I may have tried a 15 mile ride, but forgot to mention I fell over twice and it was on very very quiet country roads (and it took me two hours). The setting off finds me wobbling all over and going up even the slightest incline does the same, so thanks for all the tips.  :thumbsup:

I did notice what few cars came past gave me a wide berth. Either a. they realised what a tool I am on it or b. the two Smart super flashes on the back blinded them into submission.

Chucking it down here at the mo' so won't be going out yet  :(

Tim

« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2011, 11:29:48 am »
Cars give 'bents more space. It's the way of things and is one of the arbitrary perks.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2011, 11:59:35 am »
The setting off finds me wobbling all over and going up even the slightest incline does the same,

yup,I'm with you on that ;D

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:10:19 pm »
Don't hold onto the bars with a vice grip, this is a mistake most make when starting riding.
When starting off I find I steer to the right very slightly and the counter steer to come back straight gets me going.
Going uphill does show this off more but it works.
It's hard to explain what happens, but when I started riding them I tried to keep the bars still and was always having trouble getting going.
Don't try to use your upper body and lean off the bike, it will fall from beneath you. Keep your back on the seat.
A more upright position will help you get used to it, lower the angle as you get better.

It took me 2 weeks before I dare clip my feet in the pedals and a lot more before my legs got used to it.

Rich

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:18:48 pm »
The setting off finds me wobbling all over and going up even the slightest incline does the same

Take it on a WARTY or two.  I really mastered low-speed stability while following the wows' tandem up a hill between parked cars and oncoming traffic.  Stopping/starting and the associated wobbling simply wasn't an option...   :D

(Charlotte's sig is relevant, here.)

LEE

« Reply #13 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:29:23 pm »
Can you change the title of this thread please?  There's way too much of a gap between frenzied expectation and disappointing reality.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:31:39 pm »
^^^^
 ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:39:44 pm »
Can you change the title of this thread please?  There's way too much of a gap between frenzied expectation and disappointing reality.

I could tell you about how I lost my bent virginity with Charlotte round the back of Euston station, if that helps?  It was somewhat rushed, I didn't really know what I was doing, and I was rather sore afterwards...

« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:44:02 pm »
And I can tell you that I've watched Kim with a bit of rough and she seemed to really enjoy it?

On a serious note, I have watch Kim take her 'bent down a rough potholed stony track and make it look easy. Quite a few upright riders were struggling a bit with the track, but Kim just stormed down it like it was smooth bitumen. I would never have believed a short wheelbase bent could go over rough roads until I saw that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:57:39 pm »
I could tell you about how I lost my bent virginity with Charlotte round the back of Euston station, if that helps?  It was somewhat rushed, I didn't really know what I was doing, and I was rather sore afterwards...

Popping Kim's cherry:
(click to show/hide)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 12 October, 2011, 02:01:04 pm »

I lost mine in a deserted car park with tubbycyclist.

Well, I'd dabbled before, when I was young, out on the Stray at York, but I made sure it didn't go too far that time.  It left me curious, though.
Getting there...

« Reply #19 on: 12 October, 2011, 02:11:20 pm »
What may help initially at speed is to think to think of leaning on the inside bar to the corner (ie countersteering), I must admit I find tillers a bit of a head-f*** if I haven't used one in a long time (my speedmachine's USS but I've got a little used hurricane in the garage). Practice low-speed lots - you can turn a very tight circle on a hurricane. You will be a bit wobbly at first but raising the seat will help stability, so long as you sit back and relax into it.

Oh, in the event of braking on corners (yeah, I know it's not ideal), careful with the back brake, if it lets go it may be very sudden and you almost certainly *will* be on your arse. Don't bother asking how I know this, but it also includes head<>tiller confusion and a frigging great big hole in the shoulder of my favourite thermal top :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 12 October, 2011, 02:12:13 pm »
On a serious note, I have watch Kim take her 'bent down a rough potholed stony track and make it look easy. Quite a few upright riders were struggling a bit with the track, but Kim just stormed down it like it was smooth bitumen. I would never have believed a short wheelbase bent could go over rough roads until I saw that.

In my defence, I was just the right amount of stoned at the time  :D

Seriously, there's an actually-it-is-about-the-bike factor there.  For all its SWB recumbentness, the Streetmachine is extremely stable (I've even recovered it from front wheel skids, something I've never managed successfully on a mountain bike) and the relatively wide tyres and clever suspension allow you to roll over surfaces that most touring or even cross bikes would object to[1].  That's kind of the point - it's a full-on expedition tourer, so is designed to handle unmade roads well.  The sticking points are that the front wheel is small, so there's a limit to what you can roll over - most potholes are fine, but kerbs really aren't - and that you can't usefully get a foot down (and should you do need to it takes time) so if you attempt something silly you're pretty much committed.  Its 20" rear wheeled relative, the Grasshopper is better suited to comedy off-roading for this reason.

While that sort of thing would be possible on other types of SWB 'bent (I recall descending a much more terrifying muddy bridleway with Johnny Thin of this parish on his Toxy lowracer), it would be a lot less pleasant, and with the twitchier handling of something like a Hurricane, a fair bit easier to cock up.

[1] This also gives it an edge over many faster recumbents for crazy descending.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 12 October, 2011, 02:21:19 pm »
Popping Kim's cherry:
(click to show/hide)

Cor, that wasn't even that long ago, either (last May).  5500 miles, one set of bar-end shifters, many awesome R17 descents, endless shouts of "Sick bike!" and a couple of embarrassing injuries make it seem a lot longer.

I also note that since then I've bought a set of SPD sandals and joined Audax UK, so be warned!

« Reply #22 on: 12 October, 2011, 08:09:16 pm »
T.E.Charlie get used to the fact that you can pedal when cornering, and I mean when cornering hard :)

You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #23 on: 12 October, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »
 :thumbsup:  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897