Author Topic: What's the fastest time that ACP will acknowledge for PBP?  (Read 8562 times)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
Re: What's the fastest time that ACP will acknowledge for PBP?
« Reply #25 on: 22 August, 2023, 12:07:49 pm »
I watched another 3 come in. I'll go back for Rimas / zigzag who I reckon will be 4:15 or thereafter. I am assuming he's the first auk, but anyone know if there's anyone else ahead of him? Veloboy is behind.

Another AUK, Lucas Cortini Oliveira, stated 14 mins after Rymas, but arrived at Mortagne 32 mins before. Lucas is fairly new but already a legend in Kingston Wheelers circles!
Another Kingston Wheeler,  Javier Arias Gonzalez, started at nearly the same time as Rymas, but arrived in Mortagne 46 mins earlier.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #26 on: 22 August, 2023, 12:10:17 pm »
Thanks. In that case I'll make it a bit sooner!

Pete Mas

« Reply #27 on: 22 August, 2023, 01:41:43 pm »
Thanks. In that case I'll make it a bit sooner!
Both Lucas and Javier now in Dreux, after  around 46 hours elapsed!

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #28 on: 22 August, 2023, 02:58:34 pm »
Just seen them at the finish to congratulate them. Look shattered!

Pete Mas

« Reply #29 on: 22 August, 2023, 03:27:55 pm »
Just seen them at the finish to congratulate them. Look shattered!
Not surprised they look shattered. 47hrs 32 mins for Lucas and 47 hrs 47 for Javier. Chapeau indeed!

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #30 on: 22 August, 2023, 09:15:04 pm »
Thanks Pete. You have some responsibility on this. I did my first super randonneur series in 2011 following your wheel in all four events.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #31 on: 23 August, 2023, 11:21:00 am »
(Personal stuff removed - please do this offline).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #32 on: 23 August, 2023, 11:57:53 am »
I know it isn't a race but...Nick DeHann has put his ride up on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/9696974996

About 1 hour 20 minutes stopped time.

'Perceived Exertion: Moderate'  I wonder what sort of time he could manage if he tried a bit harder.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #33 on: 23 August, 2023, 12:57:12 pm »
Bloody hell. I hang around that long at a single lunch stop on a 150k.  But I guess he isn't drawing a pension yet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #34 on: 23 August, 2023, 12:59:04 pm »
I know it isn't a race but...Nick DeHann has put his ride up on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/9696974996

'Perceived Exertion: Moderate'  I wonder what sort of time he could manage if he tried a bit harder.

Having a snoop round his other strava rides that include gravel races and the like, hes a freak of nature. Looks like he knocked out all his quals in the same week. Heaven forbid he signs up for the likes of a TCR. That would be something to watch.
often lost.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #35 on: 23 August, 2023, 01:47:28 pm »
Hajo the velomobilist did it in 45 hours.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #36 on: 23 August, 2023, 02:15:46 pm »
The fast guys are saying that aerobars made a big difference to the times this year.
even riding in a group of the front guy is on aerobars then everyone gets the benefit.

« Reply #37 on: 23 August, 2023, 02:35:56 pm »
The fast guys are saying that aerobars made a big difference to the times this year.
even riding in a group of the front guy is on aerobars then everyone gets the benefit.

I have PBP on the radar now that aero bars are kosher.  Never fancied attempting 1200km without them.
often lost.

« Reply #38 on: 23 August, 2023, 03:04:00 pm »
Interview with Nick DeHaan at the finish:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8nefte

« Reply #39 on: 23 August, 2023, 04:36:24 pm »

Yes, I too agree aerobars made a big difference. I was told in other groups aero bars were not that popular. I was in group A and my guess is 90% of riders had them. I would bet an analysis of A group riders data would show higher speeds.

« Reply #40 on: 23 August, 2023, 09:43:10 pm »

But... it is a race. The starter announced it as such at the start of the specials on monday morning. He said "course" in french which he then translated as "race" in english! Just wait until the FFC get to hear about it! UCI approved bikes only, no specials, compulsary dope testing etc.! Helmets are just the first stage!
Given all the publicity for the Paris Olympics that was everywhere at the start and all the politicing from elected representatives along the route this is only to be  expected!

« Reply #41 on: 23 August, 2023, 10:38:45 pm »

I don't think there's ever been a doubt about that. The issue is "are they safe? ". Banned in UCI group race events bacause they are definitely not safe for a follower in a peleton. The braking time is significantly increased xompared with someone on drops so watch for the stack up which may seriously hurt/kill a fact reapction earlier rider in the group. The group lead may also crash because they were on tri-bars but it will be easier for the riders behind to avoid so this is a case of damage to self.

The rules should band their use whilst following but OK for group lead and solo. But how is that enforce?

I think many Audaxers use them for comfort and not for aero power efficience determined by the fact the tri-bars are so high. They give narrowness and comfort but not height which is the big efficieng driver. They all slow braking time the same. Could be improved by  having T-bare brake levers but they would still cause unstable steering in the emrrgency situation.

I use low tri-bars for TT and am not a fast Audax rider. Probably one of the slower A's this time.

« Reply #42 on: 24 August, 2023, 06:11:16 am »
Sure, also I don't think there has been any doubt that they are not safe to use in a group, other than on the front.

My point was not 'aerobars are faster', which is not in doubt, but that some of the first finishers I spoke to attributed the high speeds this year to them, rather than say the weather conditions or the route changes.

In the short time I was riding I thought it worked well with aerobars being allowed but, as far as I could see, not used by following riders. I'm sure there would be the odd exception, but that was what I saw. I've not heard reports of pile ups.

The speed vs comfort point is interesting. Narrower is still faster: getting narrower by x sq cm is potentially as valuable as getting lower by the same area. But also more comfortable makes you faster too, no? As you can carry on for longer in a fast position if its comfortable, or bearable might be a better word.

I put aerobars on the tandem this time as soon as I heard they were permitted even though I didn't expect to use them much because I've had hand problems on previous pbps, which I've not had on other longer rides. My priority was comfort but I expected a bit of extra speed as a by product.

felstedrider

« Reply #43 on: 24 August, 2023, 07:44:53 am »
Course gets harder.  Riders get quicker.  Go figure.

« Reply #44 on: 24 August, 2023, 09:57:34 am »
Fastest female rider looks to be Estelle Gerbier (FR) - 50hr 52min

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #45 on: 26 August, 2023, 02:05:09 pm »
I think there was more headwinds in 2019 than in 2023, so why are aerobars making the difference this year?

« Reply #46 on: 28 August, 2023, 12:25:13 pm »
Nick DeHaan's ride report.
It's a long one!

« Reply #47 on: 28 August, 2023, 12:55:07 pm »
On a related point I’ve had perms that weren’t validated because of being over the maximum given speed - is it at the organiser’s discretion to award the shortest possible time rather than not validate the ride?

« Reply #48 on: 28 August, 2023, 06:37:19 pm »
Nick DeHaan's ride report.
It's a long one!

Liked that, he’s made of the right stuff.

On his Strava post, Hajo appears as #1 in the PBP list, but you can’t see the times. Anyone know Hajo’s time, and is he the fastest at PBP this year?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #49 on: 28 August, 2023, 06:44:25 pm »
This is Hajo’s strava

https://www.strava.com/activities/9703666166

He says at the end GesamtZeit: 45:56:36 so he was not the fastest.

Was that image maybe from the PBP before?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk