Author Topic: Shimano Freewheels vs Sturmey?  (Read 609 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Shimano Freewheels vs Sturmey?
« on: 30 August, 2013, 05:10:44 am »
I need a new single speed freewheel, but I wanted to try a size bigger so 19t. It seems Sturmey do one which could be had for about £12. How do they compare to the Shimano MX30s?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Shimano Freewheels vs Sturmey?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2013, 12:35:46 pm »
both shimano and sa freewheels skip every now and then, shimano more often than sa, but both are pretty good. personally, i would choose sa over shimano. there are many good quality freewheels at £50-70, not all of them come in 19t though.

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2013, 02:33:19 pm »
I have a SA freewheel and it's perfectly nice (it replaced a terrible £4 jobby).

There are no tight spots in the chain and it spins freely so it's round (unlike the old one).  Too early to tell how long it lasts.

My other single-speed has a White Industries freewheel.  It's lovely and easily serviced...but it's 8x the price.  It's "for life" quality.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2013, 04:24:10 pm »
Hmm until I see if things get better on my knees by doing down in gear inches I'm hesitant to spend seriously money.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium