Author Topic: Stack bolts  (Read 1421 times)

Che

Stack bolts
« on: 21 July, 2008, 04:10:16 pm »
On the basis that good enough just won't do, I was recently struck by the necessity of getting my chainrings perfectly centred, au Sheldon; however upon taking an allen wrench to one of the stack bolts, I found that the entire bolt (or nut and bot, or both sides or the whole thing ... you know what I mean) sought to turn in concert, neither tightening nor loosening. An examination revealed that while the recessed female part had a slot that looked like it would take a screwdriver, the male part of the bolt went far enough through this to preclude inserting same.

So the eventual question: how do you remove a stack bolt when both sides of it seek to rotate together?

Ta
Che.

Re: Stack bolts
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:11:32 pm »
Get a chainring bolt spanner

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:12:48 pm »
Get one of these.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:13:18 pm »
That about covers it.  They're cheap and cheerful and any good bike shop has 'em. 

Improvisations with big screwdrivers, etc, often lead to Nutty levels of slipping near huge pointy assemblies of teeth...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:13:55 pm »
Also useful for undoing Brompton front castor screws, if you use the other end and an adjustable spanner for leverage!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Che

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:15:35 pm »
Aha. Many thanks all.

Indeed were I to manage to put the chainwheel teeth into my knuckles, it wouldn't be the first itme. Got a pretty little pointed-shaped scar on one finger from tightening pedals.

Che

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:55:51 pm »
Che now owns a chainring spanner.

bobajobrob

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2008, 05:00:10 pm »
I use a table knife, the non-blade edge :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2008, 05:38:20 pm »
I got a T shaped one from somewhere. Much easier to use than the screwdriver or spanner types.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2008, 05:38:37 pm »
I do have this tool, but most of the time I don't need it. When I'm fitting a chainring, I put the bolt into the back and hold in place with a finger, then screw the top bit on. As it gets tighter, the 2 parts will pull together and I do the final tightening with just the allen key, no spinning and no chainring tool needed. Same for removal.

But of course, when you do need it, it's very useful  :)

Oh and that "centre the ring" thing doesn't work, at least not with good quality parts, which should fit together exactly, with no slop.

Che

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2008, 06:11:54 pm »
Oh. Boo. I think the Primato chainset constitutes quality in that respect.

I'll have it apart anyway, for the heck of it :)

« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:18:12 am »
Oh. Boo. I think the Primato chainset constitutes quality in that respect.

I've never had a problem with either of my Primato chainsets and I'm not that kind to my bike bits.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Che

« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:32:02 am »
I reckon they're fine. I was trying to be ridiculously over-perfectionist. Thanks.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2008, 05:27:28 pm »
I got a T shaped one from somewhere. Much easier to use than the screwdriver or spanner types.

One like this? Got one with my last order cos the one I have linked to by Kyuss is really not that clever a design.