Author Topic: TODO list of stuff to get or do  (Read 13232 times)

Re: TODO list of stuff to get or do
« Reply #50 on: 15 July, 2019, 05:36:17 pm »
I'm off to do a 1200km ride in France on Wednesday afternoon, just got back off my hols last night, the to do list is currently sitting at 43 things, down from 54 and I'm working tomorrow, it's going to be tight but good practice for PBP.

bairn again

« Reply #51 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:30:09 pm »
Don't forget to ride your bike, people do!!!

I did last time and lost enough fitness to decide to DNS the ride.

i feel like Im at risk of this if I dont get my finger out

Davef

« Reply #52 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:40:53 pm »
There was talk of sun cream ... tingerlaat is the custom built titanium frame of sun creams.

« Reply #53 on: 17 July, 2019, 07:58:29 am »
 :demon: New frame  :-[

Yesterday I found out that my summer bike Enigma Effusion (bought as used 6 years ago) has finally broken. Rear fork right side has come off (carbon + titanium joint?). It has been a couple of millimeters dislocated for  some years. I have winter bike Genesis CdF but it’s too heavy for any hills because I’m too heavy myself  :facepalm: .
Long rides - always too far

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #54 on: 17 July, 2019, 04:30:53 pm »
The effect of bicycle weight on your speed is overrated by most. Chris White did an excellent analysis with riding the TCR in mind. Summary: 1kg less weight saves you 1 minute for every 100km ridden, or less.

But don't let that stop you to acquire an N+1  ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #55 on: 17 July, 2019, 04:41:17 pm »
Genesis CDF 3.8Kg
Enigma Effusion 1.3Kg

difference = 2.5Kg  12 x 2.5  = 30 minutes extra for the whole of PBP

Swap over the wheels, ditch the rack and the winter bike can go on hols in France

« Reply #56 on: 19 July, 2019, 09:47:03 am »
Yes. That's my plan B at the moment. New frame is plan  A. Genesis geometry is very good for me. We'll see which one is better. Thanks!
Long rides - always too far

Phil W

« Reply #57 on: 19 July, 2019, 03:41:16 pm »
Went out today to do some hill work. Was planned as three hours of hills but heavy rain meant I cut it down to a couple of hours. Bike seems in fine fettle, but extension bars need a small adjustment to bring level with brake levers.  Solo hilly 300 next weekend and still need to fit new cleats.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #58 on: 19 July, 2019, 07:31:57 pm »
• DONE — Fit new bar tape — old stuff ripped in la chute t'other weekend; Spesh Roubaix Wide tape to go on
• DONE — Buy and fit new rear tyre
• DONE — Tidy up bottle-cage attaching bolts (need to fit shorter)
• DONE — Set up cleats on new shoes — Shimano RT4's — done and nice shoes
• Fit reflective tape to rims — both replaced, one for wear, one for crash-damage
• DONE — Re-tighten headset — I think the locknut's an Italian ISO thread, which almost-but-not-quite fits; requires a French thread, although doubt I'll be able to source one — found one on eBay in NL, it's on its way :thumbsup:
• DONE — Sharpen pencil
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #59 on: 19 July, 2019, 10:54:59 pm »
Re-build the bike (bike specific bits arriving only this morning from Canyon)!

+ Oh, yeah, forgot about the new group set! *  ;D

++ More Beer please...!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #60 on: 20 July, 2019, 03:09:54 pm »
New cleats fitted.
3 of the old cleat bolts greased and put in bag of spare bolts in rack pack
Zefal pump swapped over from other bike.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #61 on: 24 July, 2019, 10:12:59 am »
I altered the date for the return ferry from Friday to Saturday.  I have accommodation and whilst I previously thought Friday would be ok, thinking about the ride back to Dieppe another day of sleep would be good

Hi 5 Zero tablets ordered.  I got a pack of 8 tubes.  Each tube makes 20 litres of electrolyte water so probably 3 tubes will be enough

TODO now
 * loading the GPX for getting to Rambouillet from the Ferry
 * is that bottom bracket noise a problem?  Do I need tools/spares?
 * fit tyres and a new chain

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #62 on: 25 July, 2019, 12:13:09 pm »

TODO now
 * is that bottom bracket noise a problem?  Do I need tools/spares

Yes it is a problem in the sense that the noise is ANNOYING.  Don't think it is a mechanical problem as such, probably just needs grease on the interface with the cups and frame. 
Have ordered up various tools/spares to deal with this

Also got a litre of brake mineral oil for a bleed-o-thon

« Reply #63 on: 25 July, 2019, 10:48:19 pm »
This year has been a disaster for me cycling. Whatever I touch, I break. Weekend just gone, I snapped my crank clean of the spindle on my new replacement PBP bike that I got to replace my PBP bike that I broke earlier in the year. Also at the weekend, my rear bearing has gone tits up on my new replacement PBP rear wheel to replace my existing best PBP wheel which I also broke just over a month ago. The nearer PBP gets, the further away from being ready for it I am. I am now in the process of getting my old faithful backup bike ready now, as my new bike does not seem to go further than 600 miles without something going wrong with it. What else can go wrong?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #64 on: 26 July, 2019, 08:12:54 am »
This year has been a disaster for me cycling. Whatever I touch, I break. ...What else can go wrong?

Look at it this way.  Before LEL last time I did lots of work on my bike replacing rims on the wheels, bearings, all kinds of things

The seatpost snapped on the return at York and I had to pack

Two takeaways for you

1) At least your bike(s) are breaking now before the start
2) Doing lots of maintenance is a good idea but doesn't guarantee anything

Phil W

« Reply #65 on: 27 July, 2019, 04:18:15 pm »
Have now completed my evening start 300, finishing this afternoon, some things of note.

1.  Disc brake pads got a good hammering in the hills and rain and grit in the lanes. So replace before PBP
2. Got dozies 5am till 7am even with a 45 min catnap, and still felt lethargic till about 9am.  Get quality sleep in next few weeks till PBP.
3.  Jacket was ok for heavy rain overnight and 18c temps but got cold when sitting in shelters for any period over about 10 mins.  PBP gilet should provide that missing extra warmth.
4. Stem cell needs to go in washing machine. Last ride contents left too long and contaminated it.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #66 on: 28 July, 2019, 09:30:42 am »

TODO now
 * is that bottom bracket noise a problem?  Do I need tools/spares

Yes it is a problem in the sense that the noise is ANNOYING.  Don't think it is a mechanical problem as such, probably just needs grease on the interface with the cups and frame. 
Have ordered up various tools/spares to deal with this

Also got a litre of brake mineral oil for a bleed-o-thon

I should have examined the BB first ( see the "Ouch" thread) but no I bled the brakes which sadly is a bit redundant now
New TODO list for the Specialized Roubaix

* move Luxos from best bike
 * move Ortlieb bar bag from best bike
 * new chain
 * move bag support from best bike
 * fit GPS mount
 * check/replace gear cables
 * check/replace brake blocks

« Reply #67 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:17:38 am »
I need to go and chat to SJS about handlebars.  The Marathons on my current bikes are obsolete, and I need to see and feel any alternatives to decide which would work.  Mr Hallett needs to know before he starts building the bike up.

...and get the ankle sorted.

« Reply #68 on: 28 July, 2019, 03:55:39 pm »
Are yes mr h , your ankle.  Damaged falling off your stairlift i understand  :demon:

« Reply #69 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:04:51 pm »
One thing that I did pack in 2015 which is an unusual item which I would only really use on a multiday event and it remained in the saddlebag till about last year until the plastic bag tore and leaked was, A small piece of glasses friendly cleaning rag which folded up into a very small zip lock bag about a 2" x 1" and then given a good soaking of washing up liquid. I found it useful on the odd occasion when my glasses needed a good cleaning to get all the road grime, tears, snot, finger prints and grease from off my hair when I wore them at checkpoints on top off my head etc. A quick wipe on the lens inside and out, quick rub over with the finger and then washed off under a tap had them gleaming in no time. A lot easier I found then carrying the use once disposable glass cleaning sachets that I used to use.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #70 on: 31 July, 2019, 08:43:39 pm »
Tyres for the backup bike appeared from wiggle so I fitted them
Tightened the spare bike BB to the max and spare bike creaking is diminished!

I think I am nearly there with prep unless the spare bike also goes splat.  Number 3 bike is a 20 year old Galaxy :)

Phil W

« Reply #71 on: 03 August, 2019, 03:48:42 pm »
Hair now clippered to within a mm of the scalp.

Phil W

« Reply #72 on: 03 August, 2019, 05:22:10 pm »
Front bar end shifter adjusted to enable outside chain ring to be reached. Looks like I misaligned a part when I last assembled it.  Since there are only about 5 parts that is impressive.  Also tightened up steerer tube / stem and checked and tightened up a few bolts. Checked bar extensions don't extend beyond brake hoods and adjusted slightly.

Probably get some tubeless sealant and top up this week as well.

« Reply #73 on: 03 August, 2019, 10:26:48 pm »
Bike (Dolan Titanium Adx) now back from mechanic who fettled it up, fitted new cassette, chain and a new set of Pete Matthews hand built wheels (owing to my mavics being so far gone). Quick spin round the block on Tuesday and then it's just charging lights, batteries and packing before setting off in the caravan on Thursday. Staying in the Loire for a week beforehand with the Events Secretary and the domestiques...

Will work out my own control times, put some credit on my text-home-phone and try to sleep a bit more.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #74 on: 04 August, 2019, 10:44:20 pm »
Number 3 bike is a 20 year old Galaxy :)

Nice.  My number 1 bike is a 40 year old Peugeot :)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...