Author Topic: Eurotrash is back  (Read 1734 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Eurotrash is back
« on: 21 June, 2016, 09:01:17 pm »
Did anyone watch it?  I forgot and will have to use 4OD.  From the 1990s I only remember the Amsterdam Shit Museum and the way the two presenters used to abuse their (assumed drunken) audience.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Eurotrash is back
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2016, 09:38:37 pm »
I think I was actually expecting Rapido. When it became apparent it was that terrible puerile willy waving I gave up and turned off.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2016, 10:23:14 pm »
It's ALWAYS been terrible puerile willy waving.  But whoever had the idea of dubbing (usually nutty) foreigners with British regional accents was a genius.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2016, 06:43:55 am »
Is it back with Antoine de Caunes? He's a bit of a respected French TV presenter, film maker and actor these days. Still prone to a little zany humour but I'm not sure Pipi and Popo, Lolo etc quite fit his profile these days.

Eurotrash was indeed (deliberately) trash television, but with a charm. The interplay between de Caunes and JP Gaultier was amusing. 

Edit: just looking at t'web, it apparently ran for 16 series over 11 years. I didn't realise it had that longevity. Goes to show I guess that there's always a market for puerile!

« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2016, 08:14:06 am »
It's ALWAYS been terrible puerile willy waving.  But whoever had the idea of dubbing (usually nutty) foreigners with British regional accents was a genius.

That, apparently, was a dodge to get around censorship rules.

'Twas only a one-off "referendum special" sadly.

Tonight also sees the last outing for Power Monkeys on Ch4.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2016, 11:18:50 am »
Is it back with Antoine de Caunes? He's a bit of a respected French TV presenter, film maker and actor these days. Still prone to a little zany humour but I'm not sure Pipi and Popo, Lolo etc quite fit his profile these days.

Eurotrash was indeed (deliberately) trash television, but with a charm. The interplay between de Caunes and JP Gaultier was amusing. 

Edit: just looking at t'web, it apparently ran for 16 series over 11 years. I didn't realise it had that longevity. Goes to show I guess that there's always a market for puerile!
Yeah, de Caunes & Gaultier back doing their double act, older & greyer.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2016, 11:29:36 am »
They are both looking a bit old these days. I guess because arguably they are; JP is 64, de Caunes 62.

Antoine has got the distinguished French intellectual look going on (minus Gauloises)...

ian

« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2016, 11:38:06 am »
Eurotrash was one those things, like dodgy doner kebabs, only appreciated after a significant number of drinks. It's not going to work sober.

Andrew

« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2016, 11:59:33 am »
Eurotrash was one those things, like dodgy doner kebabs, only appreciated after a significant number of drinks. It's not going to work sober.

;D Indeed not!

(And in a single sentence, you caused memories to come flooding back!)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2016, 01:44:28 pm »
Eurotrash was what we had in the 90s instead of mindless NSFW link propagation in social media.  It seems utterly redundant now.