Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400589 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2350 on: 30 August, 2020, 04:31:22 pm »
I'm impressed that you had dogs that could run for 25km, particularly at 5min pace. That isn't slow.
Jasmine has dog(s?) that run canicross. They're canine athletes.

« Reply #2351 on: 30 August, 2020, 06:58:03 pm »
I'm impressed that you had dogs that could run for 25km, particularly at 5min pace. That isn't slow.
Jasmine has dog(s?) that run canicross. They're canine athletes.

They are indeed! They're collies (with a bit of kelpie) so will run for days. More importantly, I actively train them to run. Building up distance for dogs is similar to building up distance for people, so they've been increasing with me.

I've got into bikejor of late, which really does work the dog, and is a fairly bonkers.

Davef

Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2352 on: 30 August, 2020, 07:11:23 pm »
There are some beasts in canicross. My dog is on the right !

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2353 on: 11 September, 2020, 08:04:00 am »
consistent training is working - did a 5k pb today of 18:31 (3:42/km). should i ease off training and maintain my current fitness or aim for a sub-18 5k? it doesn't seem out of reach now!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2354 on: 30 September, 2020, 03:15:23 pm »
easy 8k watching sunrise, for which there's no need to wake up early these days. many people out there running and enjoying the weather before the gloom arrives.

« Reply #2355 on: 01 October, 2020, 11:10:44 am »
A single run of 5.09km in September.

Had some symptoms similar to sciatica (never had any back/nerve problems before) so binned running (apart from 5-a-side football).

Had also lost interest in running (which generally happens when I start to increase the swimming and cycling) but starting to miss doing it now so I'll start up again next week and get back into the routine now that my body has got used to the increase in other exercise.

Still too heavy though, but that'll sort it self out eventually if I keep doing the right things (mostly).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2356 on: 01 October, 2020, 11:49:05 am »
47 miles for the month for Sept, giving me 500 for the year so far.  August/Sept have mostly been an exercise in injury management and I'm trying to gently ramp the miles back up with a view to one day running a full marathon distance.  500 miles is way more than I've ever run in any year so the consistency will gradually pay dividends and I'm on track for perhaps 650+ for the year.  My VO2max is up to 48 (according to Garmin) which appears excellent for a 51 year old chap. 

Periodic injury has at least encouraged me to spend more time on the bike, and I've flipped my strategy of ducking out of working from home for a run during the day, and then working late in the evening, to one where I go out at 06:30 and then just work a sensible day.  That's helped the work-life balance by keeping work "in its place" a bit better.

Happy running everyone (and cycling, obviously ;D )

« Reply #2357 on: 04 October, 2020, 01:28:17 pm »
VLM 2021 Ballot is open: https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/how-to-enter/ballot-entry/index.html

(It's planned for October next year, not April...)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2358 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:57:50 pm »
CET Junior 2 is trampoling coaching for an hour on Saturday mornings in Alton, which is a 30 minute drive from home.  So that's just enough time to fit in a 10km trail run while I wait.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Davef

Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2359 on: 04 October, 2020, 07:23:13 pm »
Having not done much running at all in recent months (for me it is an October to April activity) but being quite fit from cycling and swimming I thought I would do the virtual London marathon. Much like kipchoge the first 17 miles were fine. The last third deteriorated very quickly. I am now experiencing more pain then I can ever recall.

« Reply #2360 on: 04 October, 2020, 08:44:06 pm »
Oh yes, as the saying goes: The marathon starts at mile 20.

(It's usually 28k for me, so around mile 17. That's where all of my runs >26k have run into trouble.)

Well done though!

« Reply #2361 on: 04 October, 2020, 11:30:31 pm »
Having not done much running at all in recent months (for me it is an October to April activity) but being quite fit from cycling and swimming I thought I would do the virtual London marathon. Much like kipchoge the first 17 miles were fine. The last third deteriorated very quickly. I am now experiencing more pain then I can ever recall.
Congrats.

Completing a marathon (or longer races) seems to be more about the ability of your tendons, ligaments and joints to take the constant pounding.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2362 on: 06 October, 2020, 07:19:31 am »
Been going further. Averaged 70KM a week for the last month, weight dipping below 71kg. Will do a 40km run and maybe a 50km run this month. Going over 35km was uneventful. Motivating myself by exploring the Peak District from my front door. Been over Cut Gate, up to Back Tor, over to Margery Stones and High Stones. Planning to make it as far as Bleaklow Stones (where there's a crashed plane) this month. Last night I ran over Ewden Height and looked up at Pike Lowe (the Strava heatmap suggested no clear path, but on the ground there was literally nothing, and light was fading).

I've joined the FRA and LDWA and also joined Dark Peak Fell Runners. All an excuse to buy some more kit. Some pics from the last month. All between Wharncliffe Crags, Derwent and Langsett.

« Reply #2363 on: 06 October, 2020, 01:36:19 pm »
Lots of envy from here DrMekon!

I broke a toe two weeks ago (clumsy not running), which has rather got in the way of building my running back up. I fear that I also need new trainers but nipping to the local running shop at lunch is harder than it used to be.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2364 on: 06 October, 2020, 01:51:45 pm »
Been going further.
<...>

lovely photos and great to see you smile!

my running is currently on hold, as i'm waiting for my pulled left hipflexor (if i'm correct) to heal, planning to resume in a week or two.

« Reply #2365 on: 06 October, 2020, 01:53:39 pm »
Cheers @Dan

@Zigzag - I've been doing at least a 10 min yoga session every day to ward off hip flexor problems. I slipped on ice in 2018, and it wrote off months for me. Months led to months of doing nothing. It's been a long road back. And yes, happy with my new teeth :)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2366 on: 09 October, 2020, 02:51:37 pm »
VLM 2021 Ballot is open: https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/how-to-enter/ballot-entry/index.html

(It's planned for October next year, not April...)

final couple of hours to register, if anyone's thinking.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2367 on: 09 October, 2020, 05:18:43 pm »
Looking good Dr M :thumbsup:

I've been running very intermittently in the last couple of years, but Mrs ED has taken it up with a vengeance in lockdown, C25K and beyond, and has challenged me to a race.

I went out last night as the wind dropped (otherwise would have dreadmilled it) with an exploratory "let's see where I am" mindset. HR plan was 145 max, ended up average 148 and max 152 so a bit high. Set off too fast and pace dipped as a result to maintain the HR. Last km was at 6:52, average about 6:15-6:20, so much slower than when I was run-trained. I was worried about the effect on my lower back, but today that seems fine. left hip is a bit tight and quads are feeling it - it's surprising how sport specific fitness can be, cycling at that HR for an hour and I'd feel nothing.

Will aim to include one run per week at aerobic HR
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2368 on: 13 October, 2020, 02:10:09 pm »
I've found the Down Dog app amazing for keeping my body in shape for running. Head, heart and lungs don't struggle, but the rest of my body hates running. The down dog app let you specify where you want to focus in terms of strength or flexibility, then makes you a yoga workout to fit your time / style requirements. I'm finding I need to regularly work on my lower back strength, my ankles, and my hamstrings, and occasionally my quads, hips and hip flexors. I do a couple of 10m blocks a day, and a couple of longer ones (never more than 40 mins) on rest days. It's been a huge change in terms of making running sustainable for me, and done my head no harm either.

https://www.downdogapp.com/

If you sign up via email, they say they are absolutely fine with people sharing login details, which is very cool in my book.

« Reply #2369 on: 13 October, 2020, 03:58:23 pm »
Thanks for this DrMekon. I'm having difficulty with a strained achilles at the moment, so this might help me. I think I have the same as you - no cardio-vascular difficulty with increasing distance but my body isn't used to the bashing in my legs. I think maybe it might help me fall over a bit less too.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2370 on: 25 October, 2020, 09:28:09 pm »
15.7k run today, to celebrate a certain londoner's gt win!

« Reply #2371 on: 27 October, 2020, 06:20:49 pm »
Been going further. Averaged 70KM a week for the last month, weight dipping below 71kg. Will do a 40km run and maybe a 50km run this month. Going over 35km was uneventful. Motivating myself by exploring the Peak District from my front door. Been over Cut Gate, up to Back Tor, over to Margery Stones and High Stones. Planning to make it as far as Bleaklow Stones (where there's a crashed plane) this month. Last night I ran over Ewden Height and looked up at Pike Lowe (the Strava heatmap suggested no clear path, but on the ground there was literally nothing, and light was fading).

I've joined the FRA and LDWA and also joined Dark Peak Fell Runners. All an excuse to buy some more kit. Some pics from the last month. All between Wharncliffe Crags, Derwent and Langsett.

This is marvellous to see Dr M!!

I grew up in the white peak, but Bleaklow, Black Hill, Kinder and Mam Tor etc were my childhood ground. Have you moved? Seems a while!

Mike

« Reply #2372 on: 28 October, 2020, 01:13:29 pm »
4.5 miles this morning at a touch under 8 min/mile.  Happy with that as it was my first run since Sunday when I ran 15 miles - my longest ever and my 4th half-marathon (or longer) run of the year.  Should total nearly 90 miles for October.  In spite of niggles and set-backs along the way I'm really happy with how this year has gone. Several factors that have made it easier:

* running regularly, and lots of "easy" miles, rather than pushing pace or distance too hard. It's helped me minimise injury down-time and the long sessions have helped me get a feeding strategy in place and understand my body better.
* getting the OS maps app and using lockdown to explore more local trails.  Indeed, trails account for 50%+ of my mileage which keeps it way more interesting than pounding the roads.
* refusing the drive anywhere more interesting to go for a run on environmental grounds has forced me to run longer from home.
* getting a Garmin watch has allowed me to monitor longer runs without my phone battery dying and the geek in me has found the available data a brilliant motivator to go out and learn a bit more about the science behind fitness and performance.
* engaging with a friendly running community on Twitter keeps me motivated

Targets for the year slowly getting ticked off, and some might roll into 2021, but I've so far hit:
* sub 24 min 5k (23:39 PB)
* sub 2 hour half m (around 1:58 PB)

Still working on:
* sub 49 min 10k (PB is currently 49:59)
* completing a marathon (as a single run)

Happy running and cycling everyone :thumbsup:

« Reply #2373 on: 01 November, 2020, 10:16:44 am »
Last run was 5th September (although I have been playing 5-a-side twice a week) but with the pool closing and 5-a-side stopping it's a good enough reason to get back into it.

5km three times a week to begin with, then I'll add a fourth run on a Sunday which will be my long run.

« Reply #2374 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:21:56 pm »
Spin class cancelled this morning, really have no excuse not to go for a run this afternoon.

It's going to be a bit damp and muddy but that's what trail shoes (and showers) are for.

Let's see just how slow I've become in two months of not running...