Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 336772 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #550 on: 05 July, 2015, 08:12:13 pm »
ITV4. NOW. 'Slaying the Badger'.

A story of the 86 TdF LeMond/Hinault battle . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #551 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:09:10 am »

Dead good, that was, though I have to take issue with their statement that Hinault was the last Frenchman to win le Tour.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #552 on: 07 July, 2015, 12:06:41 am »
Fignon? no one since that i can think of.
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #553 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:53:04 am »
Fignon indeed.

« Reply #554 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:08:40 am »
No Fignon's wins were 83 and 84 he was injured in 85 when the Badger won his last TdF and then famously beaten by Lemond in the final time trial in 89 when he was back to full strength. Hinault's last win in 85 was therefore after Fignon's wins. It's odd given their relative ages but that's the way it worked out. Had he not been injured in 85 Fignon might well have gone on to win a couple more TdFs or perhaps not who knows.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #555 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:35:03 am »
You are right.  I had wrongly thought that he had won while Lemond was off sick after being mistaken for a turkey but that was the Roche versus Delgado era.  I can't even blame Strong Drink, so will go for Galloping Senility instead.

fuzzy

« Reply #556 on: 07 July, 2015, 02:03:21 pm »
You are right.  I had wrongly thought that he had won while Lemond was off sick after being mistaken for a turkey but that was the Roche versus Delgado era.  I can't even blame Strong Drink, so will go for Galloping Senility instead.

S.A.G who got it wrong?

<fuzzy commences his escape and evasion protocol due to likely introduction of The Bear>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #557 on: 07 July, 2015, 02:22:29 pm »
Last night I watched a couple of episodes of Cordon, in the BBC4 forrin drama from abroad slot.

One day someone will make a programme where people actually do what they're told, apply common sense, and healthcare professionals follow strict infection control procedures even when things get a little bit dramatic.  The outbreak will thus be contained with minimum loss of life, and there will be much rejoicing (at least amongst the scientists and medics in the audience).

That aside, it's a reasonably watchable example of the genre.  The smart money is on the fat kid with spikey hair[1], who got given a detention for being bullied and is now locked in a library with nothing better to do than read about epidemics, as being the most likely to walk out of it alive.  Pregnant Girl is top of the list for having to give birth in gruelling circumstances later in the series.  Old Man Who Breeds Rats is neck and neck with Anxious Primary School Teacher for the Typhoid Mary award for lack of common sense.  Sensible 1337 h4xx0r woman is most likely to do something tragically stupid because of political intrigue and/or her polite ossifer boyfriend later in the series.  And Important Doctor Guy is most likely to be accidentally shot, assuming his implausible failure to use latex gloves appropriately doesn't kill him first.

[1] In a US series, he would be cast as the bully.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #558 on: 07 July, 2015, 02:33:16 pm »

Lemond, even in retirement, seems to have that rather annoying "I wasn't crying, I had something in my eye" sort of character that many top sports people have.

He shouted his wife down every time she said something like "...and that really upset us.." or "...Greg was really hurt...".

Let it lie Greg, let it lie.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #559 on: 07 July, 2015, 02:41:54 pm »
Given the way he was royally f***ed over by LA,Trek & the Merkin Meedja, I think he might have a touch of justification. Nevertheless I really enjoyed the footage of REAL bicycles, some of them were(still are) works of art. Fragile and beautiful...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #560 on: 07 July, 2015, 02:51:06 pm »
Last night I watched a couple of episodes of Cordon, in the BBC4 forrin drama from abroad slot.
I enjoyed the first episode. I know they're only suppositions, but now I've read your prognostications they seem obvious.  We'll have to wait to see if they were really should have had spoiler tags.

« Reply #561 on: 07 July, 2015, 02:52:38 pm »

Lemond, even in retirement, seems to have that rather annoying "I wasn't crying, I had something in my eye" sort of character that many top sports people have.

Don't badmouth him please - Lemond means the world to me.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #562 on: 07 July, 2015, 05:18:52 pm »

Very good. Shame he can't spell his own name properly though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #563 on: 07 July, 2015, 06:38:09 pm »

Eye-thanyooo
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #564 on: 09 July, 2015, 12:11:47 am »
National Park Stories.  It's about offroaders versus local people in the use of green lanes.  It's like 'On The Road' on this forum.  Drivers of offroad vehicles and motorbikes wanting to drive on the green lanes, local people finding them all a blasted nuisance.
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #565 on: 09 July, 2015, 02:24:57 pm »
National Park Stories.  It's about offroaders versus local people in the use of green lanes.  It's like 'On The Road' on this forum.  Drivers of offroad vehicles and motorbikes wanting to drive on the green lanes, local people finding them all a blasted nuisance.

I watched that, to sum it up: Locals people getting miffed, 4X4 drivers know their legal rights.  Local people try appealing to TPTB's sense of right and wrong, 4X4 drivers wave their legal rights in TPTB's face.  Local people run off, crying.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #566 on: 09 July, 2015, 03:02:19 pm »

I watched that, to sum it up: Locals people getting miffed, 4X4 drivers know their legal rights.  Local people try appealing to TPTB's sense of right and wrong, 4X4 drivers wave their legal rights in TPTB's face.  Local people run off, crying.

Wot, no spoiler tags?   ;D

Pretty much the whole thing there Phil.  The mess created on the lanes was rather shocking, I'm not surprised the locals get fed-up.  But, legal rights and all that.  Plus a vocal and rich group with support probly garnered from forums much like this one.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #567 on: 09 July, 2015, 09:47:22 pm »
The problem with those legal rights is that they are based in a time where off-roading didn't even exist.  These were historic routes which were actually used for basic movement of essential goods and - well, anything, really.  They fell into disuse with  the successive arrivals of canals, railways, then metalled roads.  There has never been, as far as I know, a specific right for off-roaders.  What is actually needed is a change in the law or regulations, nationally, so that National Parks cannot make up their own minds about this.  As it stands, they really have no choice but to bow down to the powerful lobby.  We are not talking about the odd quaint little green lane; Mastiles Lane in the Dales, was a colossal thoroughfare from East Yorkshire over to Malham and beyond.  Not too long ago it was easily rideable on a bike.  I'm pretty sure it isn't now, except possibly in a drought year.

Peter

PS I didn't watch more than a couple of minutes; it was obvious what the result would be and it's just too distressing.

tiermat

« Reply #568 on: 10 July, 2015, 11:27:30 am »
Re-reading what I posted, I realise that it is, possibly, painting an incorrect image of where my sympathies lie.

As early as 1998, up on the old drovers roads round Pately Bridge, I noticed this kind of damage.  It's horrible to see and makes some places impassible, even on a full suss mountain bike.

However, the locals got it ALL wrong and their requests were uniformly thrown out because of it.  Until they hit upon the TRO order thing, then it started to go in their favour.

The guy from the Peak District National Park, with the short hair and earring, was a complete and utter dick.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #569 on: 10 July, 2015, 11:38:26 am »
The guy from the Peak District National Park, with the short hair and earring, was a complete and utter dick.
This is a repeat from about six months ago? I thought at the time that he was dick that was in a position where he could never please anybody.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #570 on: 10 July, 2015, 02:27:03 pm »
Yes, I wondered if it was a repeat.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #571 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:20:02 pm »
clarion's Pappano's Classical Voices

Last episode now available.  This one was my favourite (though I may be vocally biased).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #572 on: 22 July, 2015, 11:21:06 am »
Currently on Fox, Marvel's Agent Carter.

Not your usual Marvel TV series, it is well written and funny.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #573 on: 22 July, 2015, 01:54:33 pm »
Since we don't have a thread for what's not worth watching, I'll post this here:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week31/flockstars

(It was either that or in the why-we-should-have-a-BBC debate.)

It occurs to me that if you'd gone back to the 90s and explained to someone that in the future Come Dancing was one of the BBCs most popular shows, they'd sarcastically suggest that One Man And His Dog was also getting great ratings.

fuzzy

« Reply #574 on: 24 July, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »
BBC1 are rerunning Operation Wild.

1st episode was last night