Author Topic: Shipping a 'bent  (Read 1170 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Shipping a 'bent
« on: 30 March, 2020, 10:11:24 am »
in these uncertain times, how would one ship a 'bent, such as a streetmachine, do they fit in std bike box, are there different sizes of bike box etc,  or I just wait 2 months and collect.....but................. :P

dat

Re: Shipping a 'bent
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:15:38 am »
I shipped a speed machine in a normal box but took a lot of disassembling. IIRC, rear wheel (and derailleur), handlebars, boom and chain to stop scratching. I don’t know if you have already bought it but have you seen the grasshopper on eBay? Similar to the street machine but folds.

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:20:40 am »
As above they will fit but lots of disassembly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2020, 12:13:55 pm »
Do not, under any circumstances, consider undoing the suspension pivot of a HPVelotechnik bike in order to make it better fit in a box.  It will ruin your day.

LMT

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2020, 01:52:07 pm »
Get two normal bike boxes, cut one end out of each box, slide one box into the other and use copious amounts of Duck tape to seal the join and give the whole box a structure, ime four rolls do the trick.

IIRC the max length is 210cms, provided you don't exceed this length (and the width and depth) you can ship the bike still as non cargo. With this method, provided you move in the boom and remove the chainset you can probably place the bike in whole although you may well have to take the seat and tiller off.