Author Topic: Pave tyres in the Giro?  (Read 1827 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Pave tyres in the Giro?
« on: 13 May, 2010, 03:15:07 pm »
Watching the Giro now, I'm surprised to see so many riders sporting the distinctive green treaded Vittoria Pave tubs - the tyre of choice for the cobbled classics, but rarely seen outside France & Belgium in April. Their standard width is 24mm (most would use the 28mm for Paris-Roubaix), which no doubt helps on rough muddy roads (I had a pair of the clincher version a few years ago and they were great.)

Considering they have Vittoria's range at their disposal, and in colours which would match the kit far better, why are they still riding these now?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Pave tyres in the Giro?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2010, 03:20:29 pm »
There IS a pave stage this week - it's not today, is it?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2010, 07:18:16 pm »
I didn't see any today, and I've seen those tyres on the Dutch stages as well.

I've posted a question on the Eurosport board, let's see if David & Sean answer it tomorrow...

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2010, 07:35:00 pm »
Think they mentioned it on the commentary today on Eurosport, after a question from a viewer!

Basically, they make tyres in loads of different colours now. Think they said that these vittorias may have been team issue only? They're not pave's.

Although, I'm not sure if I'd want any other colour, unless it's black. Salmon is interesting  :sick:
Continental Cycle Tyres UK

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2010, 10:43:19 am »
D'Oh! Must have been before I switched on yesterday.

Obviously, tyres come in every colour these days, but Vittoria have always kept the green Pave as distinct (Corsa CXs, Rubinos etc come in every colour except green as far as I know). Also, if they are some top-secret servizio corse prototype intended to give the team an edge over the competition, then surely they'd be in a less conspicuous colour? And the pros (or their mechanics) go to extraordinary detail to colour-coordinate their machines - these stick out like a sore thumb.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2010, 11:04:41 am »
Vittoria do sometimes make limited editions of Corsa etc in all kinds of funny colours, but yes green probably means Pave if they are Vittoria tyres (?).  Some other makes must have green options, surely?

I suppose the pro teams are as guilty of habit as much as anyone.  They stick with the devil they know... until a sponser pays them more to do otherwise!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2010, 11:19:13 am »
And when a sponsor pays them, they stick with what they know and put the sponsors stickers on! Wiggins is riding a HED trispoke on his TT bike that's been branded PRO

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2010, 12:06:19 am »
Well, these are clearly Vittoria Paves: Cycling News - Cunego's Lampre bike.

And as I predicted, prototypes are a stealthy black: Cycling News - Tyler Farrar's bike.

Still puzzled as to why Paves are so favoured outside of the Spring Classics though...  ???

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2010, 10:19:53 pm »
That was only one stage, the Paves were spotted earlier on when the roads were good and dry. I'd have been surprised if I didn't see them on the strade bianche.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2010, 01:30:27 pm »
That was only one stage, the Paves were spotted earlier on when the roads were good and dry.

Fair point. Maybe it's a comment on the state of Italian roads in general.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."