Author Topic: Crisp sandwiches  (Read 7824 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Crisp sandwiches
« Reply #50 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:14:04 pm »
Possibly a Russian slice as well.
Every now and again I see a Russian slice and fancy it. I had one about a month ago from Joe's bakery on Gloucester Rd (well where else?). I always vaguely regret it afterwards. It's one of those things that manages to combine just enough good to make you want it and just enough bad to make it not a pleasant experience.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:44:55 pm »
What is a Russian slice?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #52 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:54:41 pm »
What is a Russian slice?

Seems to be a way of avoiding wasting bits of cake that have gone stale*.

https://cedges.co.uk/2016/10/27/russian-slice/
http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/05/russian-slice-recipe.html

* Which to my mind, simply does not compute.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #53 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:58:31 pm »
What you really want is a sausage roll sandwich. Ingredients, one sausage roll (has to have very flaky pastry) preferably warm, one bread cake soft and floured. That's it.
TM Archbishop Holgates Grammer School York circa 1976.
There was a bakery just outside the school gates and that's how we spent our dinner money. Possibly a Russian slice as well.
I wonder if they still do that, the bakery is still there I think.

Justone sausage roll in a breadcake? Were the sausage rolls HUGE in your part of Godzone?   The breadcakes I remember were big enough to hold three or four sausage rolls.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #54 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:59:22 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #55 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:05:53 pm »
Boozy cake sounds good. As long as it is boozy and not booze flavoured.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:09:31 pm »
Pretty sure they're only booze flavoured in practice. And even that only in vague terms.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #57 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:18:14 pm »
Scotch morning bread roll, buttered, proper fried crisps preferably plain or cheese and onion.

Gert mint lush

fuzzy

« Reply #58 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:30:55 pm »
My staple diet from the <NOWDAYS DEEMED OFFENSIVE TERM>shop in Northern Ireland was 4 pan fried fish fingers in a buttered roll with a splodge (bigger than a dash but smaller than dollop) of tomato sauce.

Since upgraded to include chips.

ian

« Reply #59 on: 31 July, 2019, 09:46:42 am »
Like I say: sandwiches are heavenly. Sausage roll sandwiches are lovely. I've never had a pasty sandwich, however.

We really have no other kind of roll than a cob when I grew up. Even the introduction of brown flour raised a few hackles with the local National Front groups.

« Reply #60 on: 07 January, 2020, 12:13:32 pm »
Proper barm cake ideally i.e. one prepared using barm. Unfortunately quite rare these days.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #61 on: 07 January, 2020, 12:52:59 pm »
We really have no other kind of roll than a cob when I grew up. Even the introduction of brown flour raised a few hackles with the local National Front groups.

Hence the seminal track from Nottin'am's finest musical export Lawnmower DETH: Cobwoman Of DETH Meets Mr. Smellymop.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #62 on: 07 January, 2020, 01:05:26 pm »
Someone mentioned making a sandwich with mash - how about using toast? Nice crunchy toast, buttery mash with a bit of mustard - I reckon that would be alright.

One of my fav toasted sandwiches is cheese and mushroom. 's got to be cooked slowly, so the mushrooms soak up some of the fat from the cheese as it melts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rr

« Reply #63 on: 10 January, 2020, 01:42:08 pm »

Someone mentioned making a sandwich with mash - how about using toast? Nice crunchy toast, buttery mash with a bit of mustard - I reckon that would be alright.

Isn't that a close approximation to a vegetable samosa?
My Indian in-laws are experts in multilayered carbs, all soaked in fat, how about potato curry wrapped in a buttered roti?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk