Author Topic: RIP Skip Bike. Long live son of Skip.  (Read 2827 times)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
RIP Skip Bike. Long live son of Skip.
« on: 15 August, 2008, 08:39:27 pm »
Skip bike is officially dead.

Riding back from the Ut's trip last Saturday skip bike scared the s**t out of me by developing a high speed wobble coming down a hill in the wet.

SO , discretion being the better part of stupidity, everything got stripped of skip bike and transfered to my Dawes Audax frame.  Fiting the wheels with 32 section tyres proved to be a little challenging.

Initial test rides suggest that son of skip bike has potential, but there are one or 2 challenges to sort out.

In the meantime, anyone want a Carlton Corsa ?? frame.  Needs a respray among other things.  Recent new headset and cartidge BB.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: RIP Skip Bike. Long live son of Skip.
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »
Skip bike is officially dead.

Riding back from the Ut's trip last Saturday skip bike scared the s**t out of me by developing a high speed wobble coming down a hill in the wet.

SO , discretion being the better part of stupidity, everything got stripped of skip bike and transfered to my Dawes Audax frame.  Fiting the wheels with 32 section tyres proved to be a little challenging.

Initial test rides suggest that son of skip bike has potential, but there are one or 2 challenges to sort out.

In the meantime, anyone want a Carlton Corsa ?? frame.  Needs a respray among other things.  Recent new headset and cartidge BB.

700cc wheels isn't it? mmmmmmmm

RogerT

« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2008, 03:21:11 pm »
700c wheels in a 27' wheel frame.  Fitted with Tektro long reach brakes ( or was, it is just a frame now )

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2008, 06:58:37 pm »
Does it have butted tubing?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

RogerT

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2008, 09:25:22 am »
Rog

Not sure, the frame is very light for its age.

But..I am not convinced that the rear frame alignment is correct. It had a lovely compliant ride, much better than the Dawes 531 frame that is replacing it.