Author Topic: Yes! I've removed the DRM from my ebooks  (Read 11199 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Yes! I've removed the DRM from my ebooks
« Reply #25 on: 28 January, 2010, 12:53:11 pm »
And that all leads to Baen Free Books, and Webscriptions sites - which may need to be checked out. Looking like 2010 may be the year of the e-reader for me.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #26 on: 06 February, 2010, 04:57:59 pm »
I'll spare you the blog rant and just mention that I've stripped the DRM off this afternoon's Adobe Digital Editions downloads -- ironically I'd decided to just 'shut up and shop' when the DRM died.  Couldn't fix it, had to crack it.

Epic publisher fail.  Epic hacker community win. 

And that's the last DRM'd crap I'll ever buy.   >:(
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 25 February, 2011, 10:15:49 pm »
HarperCollins tell libraries that their DRM'd books will henceforth self-destruct after 26 lendings.

Librarians explode across the ebook-lending world.

Cory unloads both barrels, getting the Ford Pinto and Chekov's Gun in a fine, withering attack:

HarperCollins to libraries: we will nuke your ebooks after 26 checkouts - Boing Boing

OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 26 February, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »
In the end, we’ll pay a high price for this free-for-all | Sathnam Sanghera - Times Online
According to the Society of Authors, the average author earns less than £7,000 a year. If their work starts being given away free or stolen, there will be only three types of people able to write for a living: a handful of global superstars such as Dan Brown and J. K. Rowling, who can command huge audiences; those like Maureen Johnson, who don’t mind writing for nothing; and the very rich.
But that's always been the case. Most writers have always had to have day jobs, unless they happen to have a private income, aristocratic estates or be so dedicated to their craft that they don't mind starving in a garret. Just like musicians and artists, in fact.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #29 on: 27 February, 2011, 11:40:46 am »
I don’t much like DRM. It was probably the thing that most troubled me when I bought a Kindle, the paradigm of physical ownership is so strong. Equally, I think the parable that honestly will prevail if suddenly all DRM was dumped is disingenuous at best. I used to work with a software company which made the assumption that people would simply pay for their product. Why not, it wasn’t mass market, and was used by a small niche of professionals, many of whom would have struggled without it? Despite these, they generally didn’t pay. All kinds of excuses, many of them not unfamiliar, but only a depressingly small minority of customers reached into their pockets and handed over the licensing fee. So, the software died, there simply wasn’t enough money coming in for it to remain a viable product. Sensible licensing and pricing alone don’t always work. Once something digital is out there, it’s always out there, on the torrents, USENET, wherever, but it ain’t ever coming home. DRM, of course, isn’t there to flummox l33t h4x0r5 – it’s there to add a layer of inconvenience to the process, and make it a little less easy. I suspect that’s lost on some of the senior management for media and publishing companies.

I don’t know the solution. Certainly sensible licensing and pricing ought to be key. Availability too – the days of restrictive availability are over. End the twisting of copyright into a tool to protect future reselling rights, rather than those of the original author. And perhaps publishers should be seen to play fair, and thereby take the moral high-ground. Horribly restrictive licences, suing twelve-year-olds, the noxious ‘you wouldn’t steal a car’ ads that you can’t fast forward at the front of DVDs. To be quite honest, if that car belonged to any of the people behind that advert, yes I would steal it and torch it.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #30 on: 27 February, 2011, 12:44:37 pm »
As has been said many times, at least with a downloaded movie, you don't have to watch through all that crap.  What is it for Tangled, eleven minutes?  :o

This current flap, though, is about the keyholders changing the contract: and this is something that all DRM is vulnerable to.  You don't have the paradigm of ownership with a DRM'd product, you have the paradigm of licensed rental. 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 27 February, 2011, 06:08:47 pm »
Horribly restrictive licences, suing twelve-year-olds, the noxious ‘you wouldn’t steal a car’ ads that you can’t fast forward at the front of DVDs.
Interesting - you can fast-forward them on the DVDs you buy on the street in India!

« Reply #32 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:26:01 pm »
You can also skip them if you play your DVDs on your computer with VLC. In fact it can be quite good at detecting such nonsense and automatically take you directly to the DVD menu without playing any of it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:42:49 pm »
Ah, we always play DVDs on the laptop, though with a program such as Power DVD, so maybe it's the program rather than the "street discs" making the difference. I'll have to try one on Dad's DVD player to find out.

« Reply #34 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:56:12 pm »
Ah, we always play DVDs on the laptop, though with a program such as Power DVD, so maybe it's the program rather than the "street discs" making the difference. I'll have to try one on Dad's DVD player to find out.

Unlikely. PowerDVD is commercial software and has "DVD" in its name, so doesn't have the luxury of not playing by the rules coz its authors could get sued.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 28 February, 2011, 11:05:07 pm »
I can't remember where we got the PowerDVD player from, but we certainly didn't have to pay for it! A lot of free software came with the computer (cos we bought it from a friend who has a computer shop... ) Anyway, it always tickled me that pirated discs included anti-piracy ads. Though sometimes, of course, they did not actually include what they claimed to, or if they did it was of almost unwatchable quality. Some, OTOH, are excellent.

« Reply #36 on: 28 February, 2011, 11:18:43 pm »
... it was of almost unwatchable quality. ....

Going round a film nut friends always makes me chuckle.

Huge plasma HD TV, plugged into the PS3, and watching fuzzy bad quality torrented downloads  ;D

I prefer to watch legit stuff cos the quality is there.   But if it's just removing DRM so I can read a book I've bought on all devices I own... I see no issue.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 28 February, 2011, 11:23:18 pm »
I can't imagine ever buying pirated discs in Britain, or indeed elsewhere in Europe, but in India they are the default option. They are cheap enough (50 rupees - about 70p) that if they don't work you haven't really lost anything. And if you are worried about the morality of 'royalty evasion' you can balance that with the knowledge that your cash is supporting a family far more in need of it than anyone in Hollywood.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #38 on: 01 March, 2011, 09:54:14 am »
I can't imagine ever buying pirated discs in Britain, or indeed elsewhere in Europe, but in India they are the default option. They are cheap enough (50 rupees - about 70p) that if they don't work you haven't really lost anything. And if you are worried about the morality of 'royalty evasion' you can balance that with the knowledge that your cash is supporting a family far more in need of it than anyone in Hollywood.

Ah! Altruistic Piracy..... :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #39 on: 01 March, 2011, 10:04:46 am »
To avoid the annoying "must watch" stuff on DVD trailers, after you press play and it is into its stuff, press stop, stop, play on the remote. If that doesn't work, press stop, stop, stop, play.

Mostly one or the other works to take you to the title menu.

« Reply #40 on: 01 March, 2011, 12:32:53 pm »

Or you can balance your 'morality of royalty evasion' with what is often actually happening behind the scenes: Terror groups move into pirated DVDs as profits overtake drugs | UK news | The Guardian
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 01 March, 2011, 12:40:50 pm »
Perhaps you should send that link to the Indian police then, as pirated DVDs are for sale quite openly on every main street there. If the police really considered it a problem, it would not be hard for them to do something.

« Reply #42 on: 01 March, 2011, 01:01:02 pm »
Perhaps you should send that link to the Indian police then, as pirated DVDs are for sale quite openly on every main street there. If the police really considered it a problem, it would not be hard for them to do something.

I don't need you to justify why you choose (or chose) to do it, or why you think it may be ok because of the lack of policing. I'm just pointing out it's not all happy, smiley and victimless as it may look. The families on the street corner may be in it because it provides a necessary income and is relatively risk free, but the people supplying them with the dodgy DVDs will be in it for more nefarious reasons.

Like drug dealing, there's little point going after the people at the bottom of the chain because they're expendable and easily replaced. Getting to the suppliers and higher up members of the pyramid is the tricky bit, and it'll continue as long as there is demand for dodgy DVDs.

Just don't think you're doing anyone a favour by buying a dodgy DVD.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #43 on: 01 March, 2011, 05:16:24 pm »

Or you can balance your 'morality of royalty evasion' with what is often actually happening behind the scenes: Terror groups move into pirated DVDs as profits overtake drugs | UK news | The Guardian

Yeah, right. I'd like a bit of evidence to go with that 2004 article before I start placing any credence in it. Particularly as it is merely a churned press release from, in the article's own words "the DVD industry" - promoting an IPR campaign.

Terrorists do things like placing bombs on crowded commuter trains in the hope that this will lead to the return of the Caliphate.
Dodgy crooks import DVDs from Chinese hack factories in the hope of making a quick tax-free profit.
The IPR industry places stories in the press that the two are the same, in the hope that we'll believe it if they repeat it enough.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #44 on: 01 March, 2011, 05:20:19 pm »
To avoid the annoying "must watch" stuff on DVD trailers, after you press play and it is into its stuff, press stop, stop, play on the remote. If that doesn't work, press stop, stop, stop, play.

Mostly one or the other works to take you to the title menu.
While this is helpful, I still resent having to mash buttons like I'm five just to see the film I bought when I want to see it.  That's not unreasonable, is it?

« Reply #45 on: 01 March, 2011, 05:27:58 pm »

Yeah, right. I'd like a bit of evidence to go with that 2004 article before I start placing any credence in it. Particularly as it is merely a churned press release from, in the article's own words "the DVD industry" - promoting an IPR campaign.

There's plenty if you search for yourself (google:terrorism piracy DVD). Here's an Indian one: Buying pirated DVD? You could be helping D-Company

I'm not interested in trying to convince you or anyone else, and further debate on this should probably continue in P&OBI.

[EDIT] Here's the thread for the last time it came up, including a link to the UK TV Advert about it: Login

Back to removing DRM from legitimately purchased e-books and wanting to skip adverts on DVDs...

« Reply #46 on: 05 March, 2011, 10:33:43 pm »
Um. Can I make it clear that I can use a laptop to surf the internet and send emails? I can sort of use it to rip CDs and put them onto my iPhone but that's about my limit and even that is usually a struggle. :-[ So reading this thread has left me none-the-wiser, and neither has the eReader thread (the point where Mal Volio suggested something about a Deep Sleep in the BioS made me wander into the bathroom and look for the ferret's sedatives in case they'd come in handy). When I first plugged my Kindle into my computer I had to Google to understand what on earth the doom-laden warnings about "eject device before unplugging" were blathering about.

So, bearing in mind the shallowness of my home-computing skillz, please can someone explain how I can get the iBook "Life of Pi" which is on my iPhone as a readable eBook on my Kindle? ???

My issues:

1) The iBook is on my iPhone. I don't know how to get it on to my computer (iTunes will no doubt be its unco-operative self).

2) Instructions like these are not written in a language I understand. It talks about things like "scripts" which are what actors use, so I don't know how one could "run" one.

3) I do not regularly download Stuffs from the internet. I have no idea how I tell what is a trusted source. I am pretty sure I have a couple of virus checkers and maybe even something in Firefox that scans downloads to tell me that they're safe, but I don't know how they work. Therefore telling me to "go and download a BlahBlah from somewhere - you can Google to find it" is not an instruction I am confident following. How do I know that the file called BlahBlah is BlahBlah, as opposed to some virussy thing masquerading as BlahBlah?

Soyeah. My lack of computer knowledge has probably got most of the techies here rolling around laughing (or, more probably, turning pale and wincing). Sorry. Still, I frequently find myself amazed at most people's misunderstandings of biology, so I guess we all have our weak spots.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #47 on: 05 March, 2011, 10:47:50 pm »
Kathy you can't. iBooks are not compatible with any other devices bar Apple kit. Apple uses the open standard Epub format but then adds their own DRM on top of it and I don't think it's been cracked yet. You can convert other formats to Epub and read them on your iPad using iBooks but you cant do it the other way around not with books bought from the Apple store anyway.

It's one of the reasons Amazon are outselling Apple on ebooks by about 60:1. The Amazon format has DRM as well but at least they have a reader application for WInodows, OSX, Kindle and iPAD.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #48 on: 05 March, 2011, 11:01:52 pm »
Ta - at least I understood your answer, which is more than can be said for any of the answers I found on Google.  :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #49 on: 05 March, 2011, 11:04:29 pm »
Kathy, do I really need to give you the answer?

Ruddy apple, iplod and itunes and single format unusable crap?