Author Topic: BRM 1200 Bordeaux-Dordrecht  (Read 3405 times)

BRM 1200 Bordeaux-Dordrecht
« on: 19 November, 2019, 12:26:02 pm »
For 2020 Randonneurs Netherlands offers you a 1200km brevet from Bordeaux (France) to Dordrecht (the Netherlands). The start is in Bordeaux, the famous and pittoresque town in Southern France. The route leads you via the national park Limousin-Périgord to Paris, Lille, through Flanders and finally through the Netherlands before finishing in Dordrecht.

If you prefer a speedier finish, that’s possible but please bear in mind that we reserved the hotels for specific nights. The same for the support, dropbags and the reception at the finish. Our volunteers are only available at the scheduled nights. So if you want to press on, you’ll be on your own.

Transport to Bordeaux
Two touring cars are at our disposal to transport the 84 participants and their bikes from Dordrecht to Bordeaux. We do have space for a limited amount of recumbents and velomobiles. The bus departs from the StayOkay in Dordrecht at 21 CEST at may 19th 2020. We expect a travel time of 15 hours.
The scheduled arrivel is around noon on may 20th 2020, at the hotel in Bordeaux. You have the afternoon to get settled, resupply, recheck your bike (near the hotel are a good bikeshop and a large supermarket), visit Bordeaux city centre or other

Participation fee
The participation fee is € 385. This includes the bus transfer, 4 nights in hotels, 2 breakfasts (Bordeaux and Lille), dinner the night before the start, luggage transport (with a max of 40 litres) and the usual registration costs. The brevet will be homologated by les Randonneurs Mondiaux (LRM). There’s a maximum of 84 participants. If there are more than 84 interested riders, we’ll have a waiting list.

How to enter
Entry starts on Sunday December 15th at 00.0a CEST. Until December 21st 2019 (23.59 CEST) only Randonneurs Netherlands members can enter. After that date anyone can enter. We expect that there still we have enough places for non Randonneurs Nederland members. Entry is according to the ‘first come first served’ principle. After registration you’ll receive an email with detailed information within 2 weeks.

Further information on our website https://randonneurs.nl/1200b2d/

For a first taste of the route we have a short video: https://youtu.be/qDa9KCqIhLs

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: BRM 1200 Bordeaux-Dordrecht
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2019, 01:29:20 pm »
How to enter
Entry starts on Sunday December 15th at 00.01 CEST. Until December 21st 2019 (23.59 CEST) only Randonneurs Netherlands members can enter. After that date anyone can enter. We expect that there still we have enough places for non Randonneurs Nederland members. Entry is according to the ‘first come first served’ principle. After registration you’ll receive an email with detailed information within 2 weeks.

A digit seems to have got lost between when I wrote this and publication. Entry starts at 0001 on Sunday the 15th, so Sunday morning. Yes 0001 is chosen to avoid any ambiguity over when 0000 is...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2019, 05:46:15 pm »
The brevet is already on my calendar (or rather, I have made sure that I don't have work obligations). I am curious how it will turn out: usually I do (near) x-rated events where I set my own pace. Hopefully the "etapes" as planned work out. Personally, I would have started a little later and made the second day the longest day. But beggars can't be choosers ;) The organization of the event seems to be well thought out.

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2019, 05:54:22 pm »
I've also requested the week off (and that request has already been granted).

For me it'll probably only a short shower at the first hotel and then plodding on. Near Paris should be enough time in the bank for a couple of hours of sleep. I'll see if I have time for a kip in Lille before starting the final leg.

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2019, 10:49:55 am »
I had this pencilled in but I wasn’t planning on travelling to Dordrecht first. Hmmm. 

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2019, 11:43:48 am »
Presumably if you make your own way there and sort out accommodation yourself, the 84 person limit wouldn't apply to me.....? I'd just need the brevet card   :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2019, 11:50:21 am »
I had this pencilled in but I wasn’t planning on travelling to Dordrecht first. Hmmm.

Please email us to discuss.

Presumably if you make your own way there and sort out accommodation yourself, the 84 person limit wouldn't apply to me.....? I'd just need the brevet card   :)

J
--

« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2019, 01:45:47 pm »

J

There is a limit for non-competitive events in France of 100 riders (I used to think this limit was 50 but since taking on secretary duties my predecessor tells me it is 100) before you require declarations in prefectures. I don't know what governs the 84 person limit (perhaps hotels) but it is very convenient to stay under the field size limits that excite administrative vigilance.

QG does this mean that I will see you on the road? Or are you on the hotel end of things?

« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2019, 04:07:01 pm »

J

There is a limit for non-competitive events in France of 100 riders (I used to think this limit was 50 but since taking on secretary duties my predecessor tells me it is 100) before you require declarations in prefectures. I don't know what governs the 84 person limit (perhaps hotels) but it is very convenient to stay under the field size limits that excite administrative vigilance.

QG does this mean that I will see you on the road? Or are you on the hotel end of things?

1 bus = 42 passengers.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2019, 10:57:35 am »

Yes.

I am hoping to ride the route check, and then I'll also be doing the controls etc... on the day.

J
--

« Reply #10 on: 25 November, 2019, 12:13:04 pm »

Yes.

I am hoping to ride the route check, and then I'll also be doing the controls etc... on the day.

J

PM me if you would like some company on the Dordogne or Charente sections when route checking. I'll try to be quick enough not to hold you up.
Ivo knows where I'm planning to be during the event, if you're doing controls I probably won't see you.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2019, 10:33:21 pm »

Those of you who are paid up members of Randonneurs NL, entry is open.

J
--

« Reply #12 on: 16 December, 2019, 09:48:07 am »

Entry seems to be open for everyone? Anyhow, I've entered (assuming that less than 84 members of Randonneurs NL entered before me).

« Reply #13 on: 16 December, 2019, 10:54:50 am »

Entry seems to be open for everyone? Anyhow, I've entered (assuming that less than 84 members of Randonneurs NL entered before me).

With slightly more as 200 members this would be a very unexpected result. Most members do actively ride but not all are in for a 1200 in may ;).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 16 December, 2019, 12:01:06 pm »
With slightly more as 200 members this would be a very unexpected result. Most members do actively ride but not all are in for a 1200 in may ;).

Doing an analysis of the homologations for RNL, it's interesting the make up of who rides, how often, and where they are from. Assuming people are correctly putting their ACP number in, 20% of members represent about 80% of all homologations.

We have more people who are not members of any ACP club (or can't remember their ACP number when signing up) riding, than we do riding from RNL.

J
--

« Reply #15 on: 16 December, 2019, 12:35:58 pm »
That's called the Pareto Principle. Also not surprising as there is a small group of riders who ride almost everything (myself included).

The fact that this ride is in May is actually one of the reasons why I entered. The weather tends to be more pleasant in (late) spring than in summer.

rob

« Reply #16 on: 16 December, 2019, 01:33:21 pm »
The weather tends to be more pleasant in (late) spring than in summer.

Now you've done it......

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 16 December, 2019, 01:37:53 pm »
That's called the Pareto Principle. Also not surprising as there is a small group of riders who ride almost everything (myself included).

Oh, didn't know there was a name for it.

The fact that this ride is in May is actually one of the reasons why I entered. The weather tends to be more pleasant in (late) spring than in summer.

I've got the job of doing it 2 weeks before you lot. I hope the weather isn't too bad then either.

J
--

« Reply #18 on: 16 December, 2019, 10:00:13 pm »

I can't talk for the rest of France but I have known two years when I was in the Cantal. The first beginning of may on an outfit going to an MZ do in the Cevennes. Temperature barely above freezing virtually the whole week-end, hail crossing the plateau of the Lozère and a temperature gradient of about 4° from one end of the Lioran tunnel to the other. The next a couple of years later cyclecamping in the Cantal later in may when I was in a heatwave, hardly any need for the tent. Probably better weather than in july or august in any given year but the index of pleasantness can be a bit variable. On the other hand crossing the south-west and up to the river Loire is definitely better before mid-june rather than after when the vegetation has dried up (north and east winds can be very hot and dry in the summer in sw France, north of the Loire is better).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: 22 December, 2019, 04:54:26 pm »

If you want to do this ride and haven't signed up yet, you need to do so asap. Not many spaces left!

J
--

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 22 December, 2019, 06:11:47 pm »
Just to avoid confusion for readers, Pareto was not invented to describe long-distance cycling demographics  :) I won't go on, google is there for the curious...

... haven't entered. (Long event a week before rules it out). Shame, looks very appealing - I look forward to ride reports, and a rerun!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles