Author Topic: Kingdom of the East Saxons 400  (Read 14697 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Kingdom of the East Saxons 400
« Reply #50 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:07:05 am »
Many thanks to Tom and the ACME crew for putting on such a great event.

Thank you for your appreciation :thumbsup:...and just to add that some of the wonderful crew were poached from our lovely audaxing neighbours CC Sudbury and Audax Club Hackney. Also thanks to Kiwi Mama Alotronic for ably assisting in the kitchen at the start. The Silver Ball and Café on the Pier done good too, and we always seem to slip seamlessly into Sunday boozing and noshing at the Angel and Harp too.

A few mechanicals, the odd scrape but no serious accidents, 5 DNFs [commiserations], torrential rain, a wedding reception punch-up kicking off in Clacton [later riders reported police in attendance], beautiful sunrise and dawn chorus, mixing it with an early morning time-trial...Essex Audaxing Life!

We couldn't quite manage to stuff enough food down you all: some long-life left-overs will re-appear at a future ACME event; the perishables/short sell-by dates were gratefully received at Redbond Lodge, a local old people's home.

A merry evening of card checking and data-uploading awaits me...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #51 on: 04 July, 2016, 10:58:31 am »
Many thanks to Tom and the ACME crew for putting on such a great event.
This was my first 400 ride, and it was the perfect introduction to that distance. It was made all the more interesting when 5k in, my chain snapped and my well used chain tool, decided this was the one time to bend instead of moving the pin. I am forever indebted to the ACME rider who came back to lend me his splitter so that I could carry on (I'm sorry, but I forgot your name).
The pasta and hour's nap back at the hall was much needed at 1.30am, strangely I developed a bit of a sore throat and a 200 a day wheeze in the morning, so it was just survival mode from then on, but I think I stumbled back just after midday.
Once again, many thanks to the ACME crew.

Hi Paul - good to ride with you on the first leg to the cafe.  Great to hear you made it round.  I think it was Nik who helped you out with the fix.

I'm still recovering from the ride this morning, not sure where the 10 pints of beer it feels like I have drunk was... another audax on the "I enjoyed that" list....  especially helped by the company of Billericay Ricky and Sister Carlos and towards the end, Oaky.  I'll write more and add some more pictures later when I am more with it...

But more importantly, the TLC offered by Team ACME (plus ACH & other helpers) was epic from the valet parking service to the room service and luxury sleeping... I was quite overwhelmed

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #52 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:09:44 am »
How come the helpers look worse than the rider  :o
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #53 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:32:50 am »
Judging by the eyes, I think tippers must've been on his Columbian stuff overnight.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #54 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:59:38 am »
Judging by the eyes, I think tippers must've been on his Columbian stuff overnight.

That would explain a whole host of things.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #55 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:59:53 am »
First 400k for me and a great experience, especially as it was all in places where I had never cycled before (or actually even visited at all before).

Thanks for the photos, especially as you got one of all three of us from my club riding together.  Thanks to Tom and all the helpers particularly for the tlc back at base.  Nothing seemed too much trouble.  I just hope that whatever item(s) of crockery that went crashing at some point in the middle of the night weren’t too valuable!!

Not knowing what at all to expect I loved the mostly smooth country lanes that were the majority of the ride.  I don’t know why most of the housing estates have such horribly surfaced concrete though.  Not a great fan of off road riding, but they all added to the experience.  I couldn’t help being nervous on them though after a flat on the first railway path.  We seemed to just avoid most (not all) of the worst of the weather coming across roads that had obviously just seen rain and being able to experience most of a downpour while we were in the Harwich cafe.  Only real disappointment was not being able to have proper fish & chips at Clacton as all the chippies seemed to be already closed at 9:00pm.

Thanks again all!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #56 on: 04 July, 2016, 12:25:14 pm »
Well done Dave - I was following updates on your grupetto's progress!  :thumbsup:

So which 600 are you all doing?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #57 on: 04 July, 2016, 01:04:35 pm »

Thanks Matt.

Well... given where we live, a trip to Chester and back next year was mentioned. 

We have been promised that 600 is no more difficult than 400, just longer!

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #58 on: 04 July, 2016, 01:39:21 pm »
A big thumbs up to those starters who braved the windy and torrential downpour conditions. :thumbsup:
Had much easier life sitting on other side of fence, assisting with ACME and ACH helpers, free food and drinks.  Certainly much cheaper and healthier than dining in a 'all you can eat buffet' outlet. Only did half shift and was tucked up asleep before Jibers took photo of Tomsk, Tippers, Tedshred at their twilight hours best.  Did 200km audax in Norfolk on Sunday with several of my fellow CCS brothers and Big Saxon.
CCS - Setting the Standards

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #59 on: 04 July, 2016, 04:16:03 pm »
I was wondering where you were!  I tried out Bounties on the ride... great fuel!
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 04 July, 2016, 05:56:40 pm »

Thanks Matt.

Well... given where we live, a trip to Chester and back next year was mentioned. 

We have been promised that 600 is no more difficult than 400, just longer!

I have a 600 in September...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #61 on: 04 July, 2016, 07:28:21 pm »
Finally got time to puts some words down...

Mid last week I hatched a plan to get my 600km ride in for this year’s SR.  I had signed up to ride the 400km ride out of Dunmow which also included a sleep control in a church hall… this removed the need to sleep in a bus shelter somewhere and meant I would be riding with others for two thirds of the 600km, so I purchased an extended calendar event brevet to add 200km on to the 400km and a plan took shape…

I loaded the bike up with a change of clothes, sleeping bag and a sleeping mat and rolled out of home around 07:15.  I’d planned a leisurely ride out to the start of the 400km calendar event to get as many kms in before so I didn’t have to do many after.  68km out through Writtle and along NCN1 in to a wearing wind then a section over towards Stansted airport and wiggle through some villages and in to Dunmow got me to the start for 10:30. The 400km started at 11AM and it was still sunny… The route up to the first Control at Silver Ball was familiar, and I rode it mostly with Cold Snail.  First bit of rain happened whilst I tucked in to B&T plus milkshake in the cafe and met up with Sister Carlos and was introduced to Bus Shelter Bertie.

We rode out with blue sky then the order of the day as far as the next control at Claire where we took shelter for 5 mins whilst the rain passed and then raided the Co-Op as a control and food stop.

It was then off towards Sudbury via Cavendish and across the Denham Vale via its scenic ups and downs which didn’t feel as bad as on the A&S ride, though this time I only had 200km ridden instead of nearly 400km of then. Over to Mistley and along the Stour estuary which was getting a good downpour, which we soon caught up with.  Our reward for enduring the edge of the storm was a large double rainbow arch we had to cycle towards but never through!

In to Harwich for control at the Café on the Pier, complete with Ricki recommended sautéed potatoes and then it was on to Walton as the sun set and then Clacton via the (flooded) coastal path to control at the Tesco Metro (pasty and milkshake), on wards giving the Wivenhoe trail a swerve as I thought it might be more wet and muddy than expected and making a fast dash along the main road in to Colchester with the odd bit of Essex night wildlife thrown in for good measure. It felt like a circular route around the countryside to arrive at somewhere I recognised, Tiptree… before we headed over to Dunmow where I managed 1 hour sleep. 

Great TLC and I was off to be treated to the sunrise as I left Dunmow, nice lanes down to Felsted and beyond.  I put the thoughts of another 200km left to ride to the back of my head with my slowest climb up TMNH where Bus Shelter Bertie joined me again and we headed over the Billericay to more delightful shop food, this time M&S branded! Now with Oaky in the group, we headed out to Burnham for an Info control and then up through Hatfield Peveral and past a steam engine back to Dunmow! 

I was worried I might be getting a bit of heat exhaustion as I had an unquenchable thirst but seemed OK after a quick pint of juice at the arrivee in the pub garden.

Finally it was off to finish the job of completing the ECE… Half a plan to stop at Greenstead Green for coffee was scrapped when I got there after they had closed due to my schedule overrunning – no kip in a field as I was worried about the time, mental capacity was limited and I was getting a little confused about how long I had left (how hard can be adding 4 to 6 be!). 

Another co-op raid to feed the engine at Kelvdon, this time managing to buy sparkling water instead of still! Then off up to Tiptree and the end of last night’s route in reverse which was a lot drier than the night time direction found it to be.  Eventually made it to The Hurdlemakers Arms for a quick half after enjoying the sunset on the way. 

The last 30km was fairly straightforward, I was feeling fine until 597km when the engine went in to limp mode, not helped by realising I had put a loop in to ensure I made the 200km ECE.  The reward however was a great (real) wild life show, Munkjack deer, bats flying at the same speed as me in front of my helmet lamp but best of all was the barn owl sat in the middle of the road, he only flew off because of the noise on my front break as I stopped to take a picture!. 

Last section from 606km was slow as I came across a lady walking with a broken bike in the dark with no lights so I did the honourable thing and fixed her bike, lent her my spare rear light and rode with her to get her home safely…

Overall an enjoyable audax, paced well and eaten well and the usual good craic….  The riding with Mark, Carl and Ricki really helped me make it round as did the TLC from the team at the base...

I noticed some oddness about my HR as I was on the last 150km or so, it wouldn't seem to go above 136bmp irrespective of how much power I put out (though the power wasn't as sustainable as normal), my LHR is circa 146 and as the ride went on in this last stage, it sat between 110 and 120 till the end, perhaps this is how the body reacts as an endurance mode ? 

Just need to sort out my numb thumb and aching torso now!

Some pics on Faceache: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154297902354938.1073741881.814969937&type=1&l=f3f88b85cc
Also on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/629703646
Regards,

Joergen

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #62 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:16:18 pm »
BRAVO Jibers.  Great account and you have now cracked the SR mystery.  There's one more rung on left on the ladder.  LEL 2017........?  Glad to hear the choco bounties helped!
CCS - Setting the Standards

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:49:26 pm »
Chapeau jiberjaber ! :thumbsup:

Stopping on the final kilometres of an audax to help a damsel in distress, a true gentleman.

« Reply #64 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:01:40 pm »
Good write up there! Well done again, I am seriously impressed at all who ECE more than 50 each end.

That heart rate thing sounds familiar. I only really noticed it first on PBP.

ChillyPanda

« Reply #65 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:06:24 pm »
Many thanks to Tomsk and his merry helpers for putting on a great event  - my first 400.

Packed my Barley for all weather conditions, sun and rain, used it all. And surprising how cold it can get on a cloudless summer's night.

The tlc back at base in Dunmow at 268km was a treat. Lovely food, endless cups of tea and encouragement from team Tomsk. The candles were a nice touch. A warm glow in which to rest my eyes for an hour (didn't fancy a proper lie-down sleep).

Looking forward to the Flatlands in Sept.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #66 on: 04 July, 2016, 10:20:08 pm »
BRAVO Jibers.  Great account and you have now cracked the SR mystery.  There's one more rung on left on the ladder.  LEL 2017........?  Glad to hear the choco bounties helped!

Unfortunately not quite.... still need a 300 to complete the set, but its not long now! :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #67 on: 05 July, 2016, 12:31:34 am »
Nice one jibers old chap!

A fun ride, although I found it a bit gruelling during sections of the first loop.  In my defense, it was my first 400 on fixed (and the first ride in my attempt on a fixed SR this season) although I have done the Flatlands 600 on fixed.

I got to the hall around 10:40 after the ride over from Witham, to see a number of familiar faces, both riding and helping out.  The weather was almost perfect.  There was a distinct easterly wind, which would be in our faces to Reed (40km), but which would blow us all the way to Harwich (156km).

I was feeling pretty good on the way over to Reed, hopping in and out of a couple of groups, and so had a fairly quick stop at the Silver Ball for an Eccles cake and can of Tango.  Went quite well as far as Clare where I opted for the golf course tea room.  I didn't really feel like a proper meal at this point, so just had a coffee and some chocolate: a picnic bar and a bounty.

I started to get some twinges of cramp in my quads after this, on uphill out of the saddle efforts mostly, and put this down to possibly starting the day a bit dehydrated.  I swapped to the bottle with an alactrolyte tab in it in case that was the reason and upped my liquid intake a bit.  Later on I started to find the hills a bit if a struggle - the cramping in the quads had been joined by a similar feeling in my triceps (which is where it usually hurts me when climbing on fixed if I'm not fit and used to it) so I made the decision that whenever my speed dropped below walking pace, I'd get off and walk. I think I needed to do that three times in the end.

On crossing the A12 just before Dedham, I spotted a garage just off the route, and headed down there for a hot pasty, some more water and a lucozade sport, one of the raspberry ones (I'm quite wary of these though since my forst 600 where I think I overdosed on them only to throw up tons of purple stuff in the loo at a petrol station in Biggleswade -- oh the glamour of it all)!.  Pasty onboard, and bottles filled with a mix of the lucozade and water, I set off towards Mistley and Harwich.

I started to feel a bit better, although my climbing legs still weren't anywhere to be found.  Shortly afterwards,  the sunshine was replace by cloud and then the rain started.  I was approaching the L@T ont the A137 between Dedham Heath and Manningtree when the heavens really opened.  I pressed on briefly, then found a bus shelter just after the T to shelter in.  I tried to get a picture of the heaviness of the rain but my phone camera didn't really pick it up.

But I was treated after this to a fantastic double rainbow directly ahead which persisted pretty much until I reached Harwich.  The sun was back out for that stretch but I could see and hear weather in the distance off to the southeast somewhere (dark clouds, lightning flashes and thunder rumbles).

In Harwich I found a couple of ACME regulars, jiberjaber and carlosfandango in the Cafe on the Pier, tucking into some hot food.  I was also introduced to Bus Shelter Bertie.  I found out that at this point I was the second to last rider out in the field.  The lanterne Rouge arrived just as we were getting ready to make a move.

We rode on together for a while, although eventually carlos and I drifted off the front (jibers had a strict ride plan to avoid overcooking himself on the way to his 600 ECE).  carlos and I rode together (drifting ahead or behind occasionally) until just after Clacton where (drunks mostly avoided and an emergency vegetable samosa purchased for the overnight stretch).

Sometime after this I dropped back from carlos and went back to solo riding.  I only saw one other rider on the way from there to Dunmow, just after a hedge stop on the Wivenhoe trail, a rider appeared from behind.  We barrelled along there (as much as you can barrel along on that surface in the dark) for a while, then a pair of muntjac appeared just ahead and ran along ahead for what seemed like an age (although probably only 10 seconds or so) before disappearing into the undergrowth.

I carried on, again solo for a while, until the same chap (not sure who it was) passed me again whilst I was donning my extra layers and tucking into my emergency samosa (and $LOTS of wine gums for dessert).  He also slowed to check if I was alright in one of those very-Audax cameraderie moments which reminds me why our calendar events are so pleasant to ride.  It's a testament to the conditions we had that it wasn't until after Kelvedon, at 20 past midnight, that I felt the need to don any extra clothing.

I arrived at Dunmow just after the bulge (but considering where I was at Harwich, was surprised not to be outrigh Lanterne Rouge).  I was still well ahead of my pre-event, hastily constructed schedule, by 80 mins, and was planning an hour's stop in Dunmow, so decided to grad a brevet card stamp, a banana and a caramel wafer and press on in order to divert off-route to home (Witham) for a longer break.

Arriving home at 03:20, I decided to set my alarm for 2 hours later before doing anything else.  A shower, some food, some ibuprofen and a sleep in the spare bed was well incredibly refreshing, but I really didn't want to get up when my alarm went at 05:20.  I put on some fresh kit, breakfasted and was on the road by 06:00 for the last 74 miles. 

North Hill is very familiar to me, the foot is only 6 miles or so from home and I've ridden hill repeats on there on fixed a number of times in the past.  Despite this, I was already resigned to walking some portion of it for the first time ever.  Sure enough, my "walking pace" rule kicked in where the road get's a little steeper above The Rodney, and I walked a couple of hundred metres to where the gradient eases off a little wher ethe cars are perpetually parked on the left.

Very familiar roads took me to the outskirts of Stock, and less familiar ones to Billericay.  At the garage, I found jiberjaber and Bus Shelter Bertie again and rode most of the rest of the day with them.

The day was heating up, and when I mentioned in passing that Radar Hill was still to come, jibers mentioned that he'd tuned the route to avoid it.  My ears pricked up, particularly as I wasn't keen to walk up a hill when people were watching ;) , so I followed him on the jibered version.

It's only the second time I've ever been to Burnham, despite living relatively locally.  Both times I've been on an Audax and on a schedule so haven't really looked around properly but it seems like a lovely place.

Onwards to Maldon.  I was feeling the heat a bit by this time, and briefly considered taking off my base layer.  In the end, I couldn't be bothered, and pressed on with Bus Shelter Bertie.  jibers, riding well within himself with an eye on his ECE homeward leg, arrived as we were locking bikes up to visit Costa.

A sandwich, some juicy water and a short rest later we set off towards Dunmow for the last 21 miles.  These were very familiar roads (and I'd ridden most of already once in each direction already on my way to the start and on my way home for my sleep stop) and actually seemed to fly by comapratively.  My legs still creaked on every little rise, but it finally felt like I was definitely going to finish.

One thing that struck me throughout was that a combination of the weather, the timings and the sundial effect meant that I spent a huge proportion of this ride pedalling towards my shadow.  :)

The off-road sections were "interesting" :) (Tomsk and the other ACME folks will know my legendary love of COR).

Huge Thanks to Tomsk, Soupy, the tippers family and all of the other helpers.

I only took one photo on day 2.  Bus Shelter Bertie showing the glamorous side of Audax in Burnham-on-Crouch (or Sunburnham-on-Crouch, perhaps):-

Strava: day 1 day 2
Some random pictures, mostly day 1: (dropbox gallery)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #68 on: 05 July, 2016, 07:46:19 am »
Top reports and photos from this ride here and elsewhere.

Chapeau to all the riders, and the organiser and volunteers.

I really must ride more over that way. This has to go on the to-do list if it runs again.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: 05 July, 2016, 09:45:13 am »
I really must ride more over that way. This has to go on the to-do list if it runs again.

:thumbsup: I think it will! Same time of year - it'll be few weeks before LEL...

I might up the cap on numbers a bit: 35 starters out of 50 entries and the hall wasn't too packed at night during the 'bulge', though some opted for a car/campervan kip instead. A couple of riders went home to sleep, as well. All the larger halls are either very expensive or are out of action on a Sunday with church commitments. At least we can fairly easily transfer across to the Angel and Harp - that operation mid-arrivee was the thing that caused me sleepless nights, but as it turned out we only had a couple of faster finishers come in during the 20 minute transition [and one totally zonked DNF on the floor], so it went pretty smoothly. This was when I was most glad of the many [by now quite tired] helpers.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #70 on: 05 July, 2016, 01:20:27 pm »
On the basis of this picture of tippers:-

I fixed the below for you:-

This was when I was most glad of the many [by now quite wired] helpers.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #71 on: 05 July, 2016, 01:26:41 pm »
Well.....the littlest Tipper awoke from sleeping under the Control table (and about 45 minutes on a mat) had a quick stretch and proceeded to carry on with Cartwheels, back and front walks overs and round offs.....oh to be 8 years old again!

JB

« Reply #72 on: 05 July, 2016, 05:08:45 pm »
Cross posting this from LFGSS, but:

Kingdom of the East Saxons was great - as Tom's rides always are. Was on my own for basically the entire thing and found myself at the front of the field. The ride was a series of two loops, both starting/ending in Gt Dunmow. It started at 11AM and I finished the first 268k at 22:20. The route was brilliant, almost entirely lanes and there were even some off road bike paths in there - they were like hard packed dirt, which was a nice change of scenery. From Harwich to Clacton there was a miserable, miserable head wind on the sea front and a full on thunder and lightning storm happening directly over my head, so that was a bit crap. By the time I finished I thought it was too early to get any sleep so I decided to head back out. By the time I'd left for the second loop, nobody else had shown up so I was at least an hour in front of the next guy - very lonely stuff indeed. As always, I suffered from the dozie's quite bad at around 1.30-2, so had to neck an iced coffee from the Billericay service station, which was a control and a bloody good one at that. Woke me right up! Was pretty much plain sailing after that. Finished at 5.25 in the end which I was pleased with. My Super Randonneur is now complete too, which I am really happy about.

Only picture that I took - sunrise at 4.52:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #73 on: 05 July, 2016, 06:37:18 pm »
If you are only going to take one picture then that's the one to take :)

I think we crossed paths when you were on your way back via the quiet lanes around Felsted. 

Congratulations on the podium :)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #74 on: 05 July, 2016, 07:34:53 pm »
Steve and Sarah at The Café on the Pier, Harwich say: "...Our pleasure. It was really fun working and looking after such nice people. Look forward to next year"

:thumbsup: