Author Topic: Portsmouth pavement pedaler clampdown  (Read 955 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Portsmouth pavement pedaler clampdown
« on: 22 November, 2012, 07:47:32 pm »
Article by a journo who' actually put a bit of thought into it:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/hundreds-fined-in-pavement-cycling-clampdown-1-4514128

Don't stray into the comments section, though.

Re: Portsmouth pavement pedaler clampdown
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2012, 08:13:41 pm »
When I got there the comments seemed more than usually balanced. Standards are clearly slipping in the bottom half of the internet.

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »
Figures show a total of 293 fines were given out by Hampshire police last year – a big chunk of the 449 fines given out across the county. And the numbers appear to be going up.

Nice to see a consistent policy across the Police forces.  65% of all "pavement riding fines" were in Hampshire !!!

I'm not condoning riding on the pavement (although I do it sometimes) but if you positioned a Policeman on the corner of any High Street with a video camera (I don't mean Police wearing deliberately conspicuous Hi-Viz you can see 2 miles away, I mean what is the point of a Hi-Viz under-cover operation?) you'd most likely get 100 motorists on their mobile phones.

It's easy to spot offences like these IF YOU MAKE AN EFFORT.

I reckon half of all cars on the motorway are travelling >80mph for lots of their journey.

Why do the Police not set up speed cameras and fine these motorists?  They'd get thousands every day and it would be more than self-funding.

People break laws because they think they'll get away with it.

In this case I suggest people cycle on the Pavement because they feel safer.  That should send out a clear message to the council.

Also, if there are any Portsmouth councillors reading this...pull your finger out and do a proper job of the cycle path into town (on the Langstone Harbour side).  It's half-baked, zig-zags all over the place and runs straight into lamp-posts.  Unusually there's plenty of spare land to play with, that the track runs through, that could be used for a perfect cycle lane.

« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2012, 08:32:19 am »
I'm not condoning riding on the pavement (although I do it sometimes) but if you positioned a Policeman on the corner of any High Street with a video camera (I don't mean Police wearing deliberately conspicuous Hi-Viz you can see 2 miles away, I mean what is the point of a Hi-Viz under-cover operation?) you'd most likely get 100 motorists on their mobile phones.

The police do exactly what you suggest.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=65392.0
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2012, 09:21:30 am »
Lets hope these fines get used for funding more speed cameras
;D