Author Topic: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?  (Read 103189 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #375 on: 23 June, 2013, 09:39:32 pm »
In just before 9. Brutal. It would be a very hard ride on a good day.

With conditions like we have faced with the wind and rain, I am amazed we all made it!

There is no doubt this is the hardest 600 in the land. An incredible mix of climbing, long stuff, short sharp stuff, stuff that shouldn't be a road.

Amazing.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Phil W

« Reply #376 on: 23 June, 2013, 10:14:57 pm »
Well done all, looking forward to ride reports. On my list for when it next runs.

« Reply #377 on: 23 June, 2013, 10:31:41 pm »

Simon at Robin Hood Bay - the sun explains my red face in the next pic - very sunburnt.

With Simon and Reg at the end. Is Simon asleep?

This is my smug face. Set myself the goal of not walking any of it. Got up Hardknott (and Wrynose) despite drivers from both directions being pretty assertive.

« Reply #378 on: 23 June, 2013, 10:42:15 pm »
Some scary photos of your head there, Dr M. ;D

Well done, everyone, finishers and those who fell by the wayside.

« Reply #379 on: 24 June, 2013, 12:01:58 am »
Is Bob OK, does anyone know?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #380 on: 24 June, 2013, 12:12:14 am »
Is Bob OK, does anyone know?

Sure Andy will update fully, but from my understanding, he was okay physically but was being troubled with issues trying to repair the tyre?
Right! What's next?

« Reply #381 on: 24 June, 2013, 12:40:53 am »
marcus, thanks for that - and well done!  I'm looking at the riders mentioned so far and I'm wondering if any vets rode at all.  I can think of one or two who might get round it - but not many.

@ Simonp

I'm imagining your SR and it looks something like this:-

200  perm          2.25 AAA
300 Yr Elenydd  3      AAA
600 BCM            8.25 AAA
600 Pendle       10     AAA

That is some series - well done!

Hillbilly

« Reply #382 on: 24 June, 2013, 06:57:55 am »
What a pussycat of a ride.  At least half of it was downhill. And we had a tailwind for half of it  O:-)

RR later. But this is the best 600 I've ever done.  Hard to fault.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #383 on: 24 June, 2013, 07:29:39 am »
What a pussycat of a ride.  At least half of it was downhill. And we had a tailwind for half of it  O:-)

Yeah, the downhills were dead easy as well. Not one scary hairpin with 33% gradients, rubbish surface etc.

My arms and hands are quite sore today from some of the crazier descents. I won't lie, lots of bits of me are quite sore today.
Right! What's next?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #384 on: 24 June, 2013, 08:09:20 am »
Cracking stuff m'dears  :thumbsup:

Am quite envious - which is odd in itself  ;D

H

« Reply #385 on: 24 June, 2013, 08:36:43 am »

Yeah, the downhills were dead easy as well. Not one scary hairpin with 33% gradients, rubbish surface etc.

My arms and hands are quite sore today from some of the crazier descents. I won't lie, lots of bits of me are quite sore today.

+1 to both. Care from Damon and Andy at the controls was wonderful.

I was thinking I need new shoes (sore feet, possibly going to lose both big toenails) and gloves (palms a bit raw from all the climbing / braking). Or maybe it's par for the course on this ride.

The combo of the wet and the braking has done for my brake blocks pretty much. The rear in particularly looks very sorry for itself having spent so long in drag brake mode. Other than that, and the saddle being somewhat less accommodating than I'm used to, new bike was a joy - no back or neck issues, despite the aggressive looking position. Bike fit paid dividends for me.

Forearms and face are really sunburnt. Showering wasn't fun.

Looking forward to seeing more photos from the ride. My memory goes into low-power mode on these rides. I said to Simon "Whinlatter pass was my favourite bit" - he replied something about the descent section being prettiest, and I realised I had no memories of it at all.

« Reply #386 on: 24 June, 2013, 08:54:40 am »
Admiration! That's some brilliant riding! Congrats to all.

simonp

« Reply #387 on: 24 June, 2013, 08:55:10 am »

@ Simonp

I never really set out with that intention this season and hadn't thought about the AAA points total. The Elenith is 5 AAA in fact. So it makes 25.5 AAA for the SR ignoring the other 200 we did on the tandem.

That ride was far harder than the Mille Cymru but the weather was a major factor. I repeatedly said never again but already I'm not so sure. One thing I am sure of: never on fixed!

« Reply #388 on: 24 June, 2013, 09:03:00 am »
Some pictures

The start

SimonP

Hexham, where it's hard to find fit birds.

Wrynose, from Hardknott.

Numbers, with the stones at the top of Hardknott.

The end

simonp

« Reply #389 on: 24 June, 2013, 09:06:04 am »
Hexham. Drunk kid (looked underage) appears next to us while we were eating asking us where the best place to get booze in Hexham was.  :facepalm:

« Reply #390 on: 24 June, 2013, 09:27:31 am »
I feel somewhat insulted that he assumed you and Marcus would know where the best place is for booze and fit birds in Hexham, but that I wasn't worth asking.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #391 on: 24 June, 2013, 09:29:50 am »
There is no doubt this is the hardest 600 in the land. An incredible mix of climbing, long stuff, short sharp stuff, stuff that shouldn't be a road.

haha, I think you've found the strap line for your Arrivee article there
With the weather predicted I wouldn't have even started.  Chapeau to you Mr Sexy Mudflaps

« Reply #392 on: 24 June, 2013, 10:29:27 am »

@ Simonp

I never really set out with that intention this season and hadn't thought about the AAA points total. The Elenith is 5 AAA in fact. So it makes 25.5 AAA for the SR ignoring the other 200 we did on the tandem.

That ride was far harder than the Mille Cymru but the weather was a major factor. I repeatedly said never again but already I'm not so sure. One thing I am sure of: never on fixed!

Yes, sorry, I know that really, having done every one of those 5 points myself!

But looking at Mekon's av. speed at Hardknott, I don't think I'd have a chance of getting round this.  Was there anyone over 45 on it?

Well done, everyone (again).

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #393 on: 24 June, 2013, 10:33:39 am »
Only ride I have ever done where seeing a 20% gradient sign was a relief.

Stage 2 to Robin Hood's Bay is a classic. Some of the most relentless riding I have ever done in my life.

I have to say, I was very concerned when I got there. The thought of another 420km of that and I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. Luckily, many of the next stages featured huge long, but shallower, climbs up above 500m, which are nowhere near as tiring as the 33% and 25% stuff!

Edited to add - though everyone focuses on hardknott and wynrose, they don't take up much time in reality (walking or riding). Pleased to have ridden up them both though! I did have to dismount and walk one bend on hardknott as the road was awash with oil and I didn't fancy testing the grip available.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #394 on: 24 June, 2013, 10:36:42 am »
That's ok, then.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #395 on: 24 June, 2013, 11:01:21 am »
I am terrible at judging ages, I won't name names, but there were riders over 45 for sure! Many of us are in our 40s.

Being 12, Jordan "The Kid" brings the average age down somewhat!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #396 on: 24 June, 2013, 11:03:30 am »
 :)

Regrettably, I am considerably over 45!  But I love the route.

Hillbilly

« Reply #397 on: 24 June, 2013, 02:56:41 pm »
<usual apols for length>

The wind cancelled out my momentum on the descent, the rain pricking my skin and stinging my eyes like a vapour of hornets.  I could hardly see through the cloud that enveloped me in the early morning light at 500m above sea level.  It was madness to descend Hartside at 5am in a storm, but to stop would have been even more foolish.  Darkness had been and gone, and there was the light of Langsworthy at the end of the tunnel.  Rarely have I been so abused by rampant and raw nature.  I eventually rolled towards the control where Andy stood outside; he had been concerned that I had gone missing as I was expected several hours ago.  I explained I'd stopped some 25km away in Alston at 2:30 out of habit, shivering in quasi-sleep in a Spar forecourt, deciding not to push on in the dark because my body (and speed) was slowing down.  Indeed, the gradual ticking down on the average speed on the GPS (20.3 tick 20.2 tock 20.1 tick) since Hexham was weighing me down over Alston Moor. 

Andy and Damon did a great job of fussing on my arrival in Langsworthy, but thankfully not too much.  After some tea and toast I stole away behind the stage for another hour and a bit of sleep.  My rain sodden clothes dripped and sizzled on a radiator in the main hall, whilst I drifted off.  I woke to clear skies and a much diminished wind, the descent now feeling like a story to tell.  Optimism blossomed in the fertile ground of my esprit de corpse; I would finish this character building ride despite the doubts I had previously.

How different the experience was the previous day.  I was brimming with nervous energy in the start HQ in Pendleton, having been apprehensive about the task ahead and being found wanting.  Pride on the line and all that jazz.  The first stage was a fast paced dash to the Yorkshire Dales at Plately Bridge where I'd done a 200 a couple of weeks previously.  The area was as scenic and hilly as that ride suggested - Jonah evidenced this as he "timbered" to the ground on a particularly steep incline (one of the perils of riding fixed).  Bob Bailek appeared determined to make a breakaway from the peleton on this stage, pushing ferociously on the pedals on descents, his escape having been frustrated on uphill roads.  After about 40km, normal order asserted itself as Veloboy and Swiss Hat glided effortlessly into the distance on the run in to Ripon.

The next stage was a relatively benign run out to the Yorkshire Moors, and then some ferocious climbing in the indistinct sun.  I suspect Yorkshire County Council has made a mistake in the past and batched ordered only two signs for gradients: 25% and 30%. Being Yorkshire, allegedly filled with people who have deep pockets and short arms, they couldn't face spending more money and scattered the surplus signs around the area.  The Moors were quite stunning to ride through, and whilst tough, offered a fair challenge.  Rosedale was challenging in both directions (I stopped to help a rider who had misjudged a hairpin and gone over the side, lucky to only have superficial lacerations to the face - perhaps Bob Harding?  Beard with a Calder CC top?)  and the rest of the stage had several hard gradients.  But the pay off was the descent to Robin Hood Bay, a stunning coastal view.  Only the arrival at Portland Bill on the Porkers 400 has matched it this year. 

All those I saw at the Candy Cafe appeared to be in good humour - SimonP and Dr Mekon looked as if they were on their holidays - a tailwind having helped progress such that we were well up on the closing time.  That was to be a useful buffer for what was about to come.

The tailwind had pushed us from Lancashire to the Yorkshire Coast, and turning westward it was clear that unless it dropped the next 300km were going to be tough.  The road from Whitby was a long drag made dispiriting by the constant wall of air, and the rest of the third and fourth stage to Barnard Castle was relatively open; some flat, some rolling.  On a clear day, this would mean making solid progress against the clock.  As it was, the headwind frustrated progress.  I made up no more than 30 minutes on the two stages (would have been more, but there was an enforced 5km diversion due to closure of the A67) which evaporated on stopping at the garage control to take on some fuel. Marcus and I chatted knowingly about the headwind, and he confirmed that I hadn't imagined that Andy had poked his head out of a car window to give encouragement.

I had a handful of hours until the sun extinguished itself on the second longest day of the year.  As such, I saw much of the Northern Pennines in their dusk infused glory, the altimeter reaching the heady heights of 500m twice.  The area was relatively hushed, and having turned slightly north the headwind was less of a hinderence.  Progress was being made on the way to Hexham, but I was starting to feel a bit groggy, being slightly worn down by the past 100km.  Having tackled at least one 20% slope in the dark after Bellingham, wheel bouncing against the road in tempo with my pedal strokes, I scouted out a bench/monument around 10km outside Hexham to clear the head, lay down to power nap and was woken by the tickling sensation of light rain on my face.

I descended to Hexham for a quick ATM receipt (it was pub clearing out time in the North, which means randy lassies - I was honoured to get the attention of one fine specimen! - and simmering blokes - fortunately I didn't see anything kick off!) and then headed out into the wilderness. 

The wind was back.  With a vengeance.  There was light drizzle and what I thought was 4 to 5 hours to the sanctuary of the overnight control.  The speedometer suggested that was optimistic.  I had been chasing Marcus' tailight up Alston Moor, passed him in the village and promptly turned for a rest at the Spar.  I woke at 4am and then had a torrid next 2 hours.  Still, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger they say.

My stop in Alston meant I stumbled into Langsworthy at 6am.  I couldn't quite fathom why Andy and Damon asked repeatedly if I was okay.  A look in the mirror showed why: glowing face from sunburn and wind and crimson eyes which looked ready to burst.  To be honest, the descent from Hartside made me think about packing.  If the wind/rain had still been lashing down at 7am, it is touch and go whether my ride to Penrith would have been to catch a train.  As it was, Andy provided reassuring words to the effect that you could leave an hour after closing and still make it round in time (he was right of course) and I saw Marcus making a move and remembered his words on the forum about having climb more AAA hills than anyone else this year.  This gave me a bit of self-belief and I ventured out having changed clothes to those I had been carrying (the socks were soon soaked again though, due to still wet shoes).

The ride along the A66 was slow but steady.  Traffic was light because of the hour, but the rolling road coupled with the westerly wind, meant determination was needed as I cycled past Penrith and then Kendall.  I passed Marcus after Kendall, and he didn't seem to be in the swing of things yet. 

The turn to Whinlatter was a relief, as it meant I was back in the hills rather than exposed roads.  I'd never done Whinlatter pass before, but it was gorgeous.  Almost Alpine in the way that it curls up the side of the hill through welcome tree cover, with several expansive and quite stunning vistas opening out.  And coupled with a fantastic gradual descent down the other side. 

We then rolled through lanes to Seascale, interupted only with another quite marvelous climb and descent from Ennerdale to Calder Bridge (with Damon capturing me in my element...)  The sea at the west coast was being beaten into a froth by the gale, much to my relief because the next 150km was to benefit from its impulse.  I gleefully tucked into a second breakfast at the friendly cafe next to the suggested control, and then ventured out towards Hardknott and Wrynose.  I dislike these passes and wouldn't wish them on my worst enemies.  Not because they are hard (which they are) but because the roads are spoiled by passing cars and motorbikes which steal from their stark beauty.  Still, it is what it is, and I got over them by nook or by crook, reconnecting with modern life after Ambleside on the traffic laden A592(?) and then left it behind after Barrow on a less travelled A-road which really benefitted from mighty Zehpyr.

SimonP looked knackered when I saw him at the Truckhaven in Carnforth. DrMekon less so.  Marcus simply looked ravenous as he tucked into Sunday lunch.  I was keen to finish without lights, so quickly wolfed down a nomtastic baked potato and picked my way down the A6 to Lancaster.  The hills started again in earnest, but by God they were wonderful.  I can't remember if I'd ever pedalled the Trough of Bowland before, but if ever there is a finer more contemplative way to wind down a ride I can't think of it.  It is like an area time has forgotten, with a river running through it, bordered with heather covered slopes.  The area allowed me to reflect over the previous day and a half, and I felt an emerging rush of accomplishment from something that is hard fought to obtain.  There was one final vicious climb (L at some inn; only 14% but felt like more) before a generous descent towards the the finish control and the congratulations of Andy.

Sitting at home now, I am sore and slightly shell shocked.  This was a very hard ride, no bones about it.  But it is a fair ride.  Yes there are a lot of hills, many of them challenging, but those can be built up to and are manageable both physically and mentally.  I suspect Andy put this route together to enthrall rather than inflict.  As such, the route mixed hard stages with others that allow you to recover.  In the hands of a more deranged organiser, this could be significantly harder but significantly less enjoyable.  I guess that's me saying "thanks" for putting the event on Andy (and also to Damon for helping on the day).

Oh, my reflection in the Trough of Bowland was this.  The Pendle is by head and shoulders my favourite 600.  Period.  I feel priviliged to have ridden it and completed it.  Everyone who aspires to audacity should put this ride on their wish list.  By being bold, and enduring the challenge to the end, you will achieve a sense of satisfaction and reward that money simply can't buy.

« Reply #398 on: 24 June, 2013, 04:00:20 pm »
Bravo, bravo...sounds truly epic! Extra hat off to Justin on fixed, I'll want gears with a dinner plate/satellite dish size cog on back if I ever try this one.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #399 on: 24 June, 2013, 04:04:47 pm »
^^^ Great RR, Hillbilly

Regrettably, I am considerably over 45!  But I love the route.
I'm over 45 (what constitutes considerably ???), and I love the route too!

That was for sure a hard weekend of riding, but immensely rewarding too. My first Audax up north, and well worth the trip. It is a superb event with a sense of purpose and ambition.

After hearing the rain during the night, I was very relieved to find that it had stopped by the time I got up at 4, though the much more predictable wind was still evident.

The first 2 eastwards legs to Robin Hood's Bay via Ripon were great, especially with the strong tailwind. I think everyone was keen to build up some time in hand, knowing that it would hard to create any more on the westward legs to follow. It was lovely sitting in the sunshine at the cafe on the sheltered coast, but we couldn't hang around for too long.

Hooked up with simonp and Dr Mekon for the next  2 legs, to try to make better progress as a unit, but we got a bit separated at times, and more so on the next leg up to Hexham, when I was starting to slow up, though I leapfrogged them and Marcus by not stopping to eat. I expected them to catch me on the stage to Langwathby, but in the end I rode the rest of the event solo.

The ascent of Hartside was ok as I entered the cloud, but it was quite thick at the top, and started to rain at the summit, making the descent very hairy. I'd normally use the central road markings in this situation to give a margin for error on either side, but road repairs meant that they kept disappearing. It's at times like these that a GPS can be a real benefit so that you know which way the road is going to go, and where the hairpin bends are. Like many others I got very cold on the way down, but decided that the proximity of the hall (which was lovely and warm) meant it wasn't worth trying to layer-up any more.

I'd expected to ride this event on no sleep, and as I was feeling that I was slowing down I decided to stick to that plan, so rolled back out into the rain at about 4:30. The almost constant headwind made it hard going, but the aero bars made it more manageable. It was a great relief to get to Seascale, and the anticipation of side/tail winds for the remainder of the ride made me turn around quickly rather than stop to explore its obvious charms.

The challenges of the Hard Knott and Wrynose passes were next, and they were unlike any other road riding I've done. I walked to two sections of hairpins on the first (I think if I had more experience of anything that steep, I probably would have had more confidence to try them), but rode all of Wrynose. Managed the descents slowly and without too much drama, but stopped halfway down Wrynose to let everything cool down a bit.

Traffic became more of an issue between here and Lancaster, perhaps magnified by quietness of the roads up to there. I was looking forwards to Andy's promise of a more benign end to the route after Kendal until the climb out of Lancaster, but then glanced at my coursepoints on the GPS and saw that there were climbs of 200m and 125m still to come. In fact I really enjoyed the Jubilee climb in sunshine and with a strong wind on my back, but perhaps a little too much as by the time I got to the bottom of the descent I found that my legs wanted to end the ride there. Struggled through a dozy few km which I think must have included the last climb, but regained my senses to find that if I pressed on I could squeeze in to finish in under 35h, despite 2 visitations on the way round (if you don't know why I wrote more see my post from last weekend's National 400).

Last night my knees were quite achy. Today I feel pretty good - much better than after any of my other (3) 600s. I put this down to a combination of preparation (this ride concludes my 2nd AAA-SR of the season) and finally getting to grips with my own needs around pacing and nutrition etc.

Many thanks to Andy for putting on this special event, and to Damon for assisting. Thanks also to HyperSi for encouraging me last year to think about tackling this ride.

Well done to everyone who started. Special mentions to Gadget who tackled this as his first 600, and also to Marcus and Jonah for completing their Hyper SR series.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies