Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 421694 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2125 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:20:15 am »
I bought some hokas a few years back, when I was running 4-5 times a week. A dodgy ankle and hip were complaining a lot. The hokas took a while to break in, but from the start made a huge difference to shock absorption.
Mine seem very light as well. Despite the padding, they are lighter than the Karrimors that I was using.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2126 on: 20 April, 2020, 11:19:38 am »
Did a 4 mile trail run last night exploring some different local paths which I've not done before - largely because they're deep mud all winter and overgrown with nettles in the summer, but it gives some variety and one of them was a useful link between other paths.
Still suffering with calf troubles but seem to be able to run enough to keep fit if I don't push the distance or pace too much.  Which suits me as the weather warms up.

« Reply #2127 on: 21 April, 2020, 12:38:45 pm »
6km today, start of a build back up to 10km (adding 1km a week to the "long" run). Longest run and almost the fastest run since coming back from a b0rked ankle.

Felt good, the last 4 weeks of 3x5km is a nice, albeit minimal, base.

Looking forward to going back to my old 10km route although not sure it will be entirely suitable given social distancing considerations. Also got a long way to go on weight loss and that will help get the times back somewhere near where they were before.

[EDIT] So the target is to get back to a weekly 10k run by the end of May. From there I can go to ~15k in June and back to HM distance in July. This could set me up nicely for a marathon in 2021 (assuming I get the weight down - I said I wouldn't enter anything [other than the VLM ballot] until my weight began with a 7, which won't be until mid November at the current rate).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2128 on: 21 April, 2020, 04:25:34 pm »
Think tomorrow will CV13 having so far only missed one planned one since I started during lock down . The runs re all above 5km now but not really any changes in pace. Will try and extend the length but will involve getting up earlier

« Reply #2129 on: 23 April, 2020, 11:38:29 am »
Think I've turned a corner. Another 5k run today and felt good so pushed it a bit more and got my first sub-30m 5k since coming back from ankle trouble. Still got to find 1min/km to get back to my old pace, but I was 10kg lighter back then.

« Reply #2130 on: 23 April, 2020, 11:59:50 am »
Greenback I was confused for a minute by your weight comment but I still work in stones so thought my word 7 stone as a target weight then realised you probably deal in kg

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2131 on: 23 April, 2020, 02:30:16 pm »
so, i can feel a lack of meaning in my runs, mainly as i haven't set any goals to run/train for. therefore i declare (haha) that now i am training for a sub-1h30 half marathon which i will run at the end of may. an interim goal will be sub-40min 10k.

« Reply #2132 on: 23 April, 2020, 02:55:50 pm »
so, i can feel a lack of meaning in my runs, mainly as i haven't set any goals to run/train for. therefore i declare (haha) that now i am training for a sub-1h30 half marathon which i will run at the end of may. an interim goal will be sub-40min 10k.

Nice.

VDOT tables show that's about VDOT 51: https://fellrnr.com/wiki/VDOT_Results?Vdot=51&Weight=145&WeightUnits=Pounds&Mileage=40

That gives an estimated HM time of 1:29:57 and a corresponding 10k time of 40:32, so if you get down to sub 40m 10k you're definitely in the right place.

(Still aiming for VDOT 43 myself, that's a sub 1h45m HM and sub 3h45m marathon, but that's a long way away. Scrabbling around at VDOT 31 at the moment!)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2133 on: 23 April, 2020, 03:37:28 pm »
I was a bit worried about that VDOT calculator.  Based on my medicals my VO2 Max ranges between 47 and 50 but with 83Kg and a marathon PB of 3h20m it gave me a VDOT of 85.  Maybe there are some unit differences there. 

If it helps - when I ran my fastest half-marathon (Reading) in 1h26m something I went under the 10k done banner just after the clock ticked past 40 minutes.  But I was inspired to run faster in the second half by someone ahead of me running in a mankini, not a sight I wanted to follow for long.

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2134 on: 23 April, 2020, 06:02:33 pm »
I was a bit worried about that VDOT calculator.  Based on my medicals my VO2 Max ranges between 47 and 50 but with 83Kg and a marathon PB of 3h20m it gave me a VDOT of 85.  Maybe there are some unit differences there. 

You must have typed something in wrong. Weight isn't a component of VDOT, it's purely based on time.

3h20 marathon gives VDOT of 47.2: https://fellrnr.com/wiki/Calculator_Results?Distance=14&Hours=3&Minutes=20&Seconds=0&Temperature=&TempUnits=Fahrenheit&Weight=83&WeightUnits=Kg&Mileage=

But entering a weight will allow the site to guess how your times would change if you gained/lost weight.

Davef

« Reply #2135 on: 23 April, 2020, 08:07:23 pm »
I might go for that for end of July, but I suspect I exceed you in  years and kg and therefore need a longer run up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2136 on: 24 April, 2020, 07:40:49 am »
this week's long run

« Reply #2137 on: 24 April, 2020, 09:16:59 am »
Well this morning was a pleasant surprise. Headed out into the countryside for a slightly longer loop and felt like I was struggling. Reassured myself I always find this road hard when cycling and distracted myself with wildlife watching. Lots of hares. Some hares pretending to be mud and some mud pretending to be hares. A little owl that is often in a particular tree and a couple out photographing the wild life

Got home and was my second longest run since I started my lock down running and average speed was sub 5 minutes per k for first time

« Reply #2138 on: 24 April, 2020, 09:39:05 am »
Not sure if I'm going to be able to continue running. Doing approx 6km at a bit over 5min per km and it takes 3 days for my hip to recover. For the next two days after a run I'm limping, unable to bend down or do a squat.

$%^$£&£$ arthritis
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2139 on: 24 April, 2020, 05:22:45 pm »
Bollocks.

Rolled my ankle 10k into a 14k route with Junior.
He ran on and came back inna car to get me home.

It's now elevated with an ice pack.
I can almost weight bear to shuffle around, but not easily.

Double bollocks.

« Reply #2140 on: 27 April, 2020, 03:56:03 pm »
Well that was Week 1 Day 1 of Couch to 5k. I haven't run bar being late for a train in a few years and even then I never did more than a couple weeks at a time.

Went fine, did 2.65 miles in 31 minutes in the end.

Knees grumbled for the first half and towards the end my lower back on one side was a bit twingy but that's gone now. Just doing a gentle warm down half hour on the exercise bike now.

Lots of tree pollen blowing about today.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Davef

« Reply #2141 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:16:29 am »
Well that was Week 1 Day 1 of Couch to 5k. I haven't run bar being late for a train in a few years and even then I never did more than a couple weeks at a time.

Went fine, did 2.65 miles in 31 minutes in the end.

Knees grumbled for the first half and towards the end my lower back on one side was a bit twingy but that's gone now. Just doing a gentle warm down half hour on the exercise bike now.

Lots of tree pollen blowing about today.
Easy does it. You need to build up slowly. This is particularly true if you are fit but not used to running. Build up too quickly and you will be taking 10 weeks off.

« Reply #2142 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:22:02 am »
That's exactly why I'm doing C25K. In the past I've gone off too far/too fast/too soon given my cycling fitness being there.

Easy does it.

Davef

« Reply #2143 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:32:21 am »
I thought week 1 day 1 was about 1.7 miles total.

« Reply #2144 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:40:44 am »
5 minute brisk walk to warm up. Twenty minutes of alternating 60sec jog/90sec brisk walk. And then a final 5 minutes brisk walk to cool down.

I'm a pretty fast walker so that probably accounted for the bulk of the distance.

Legs feel alright today. A little tight on the front of the thigh. But then I did weightlift three days in a row over the weekend.

Doing half an hour on the exercise bike before work but going fairly gently, just getting a bit of blood flowing through the legs.

« Reply #2145 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:50:34 am »
Distance is not important for C25K.  Most people who graduate are not running 5k continuous when they do.   The aim is to increase continuous time on your feet whilst gradually introducing you to running. 

We all walk and run at different speeds.  Experienced runners just like experienced audaxers tend to forget that there are people with lesser capability.

I am happily and comfortably able to do a 7k run now.  Lockdown has been a positive benefit to me in this regard.

« Reply #2146 on: 29 April, 2020, 07:00:01 am »
6k this morning. First time I hsd to force myself to go out but missed Monday as wife's birthday. Damp and hard work but OK in the end. Usually run Friday next but might go tomorrow, might even treat myself to an after work run as just shy of 60km for the month so be nice to pass that

« Reply #2147 on: 29 April, 2020, 07:08:08 am »
5k easy run for me this morning.  Have been running alternate days for the past couple of weeks and had a day off on Monday after doing 6.2k for the 2.6 Challenge last week.  Would have run yesterday but the rain was relentless.

75k for the month.  Best month in terms of distance that I have had in over two decades. 

I am now planning to go back to three runs a week and mix things up with intervals, a short session and a long, slow run each week.  A bit of a change to what I was originally planning but I'm doing it to keep me motivated.

« Reply #2148 on: 29 April, 2020, 05:19:07 pm »
And that is W1D2 done  :thumbsup:

The plan was to go out this morning as the forecast was cloudy but ok up until lunchtime and then rain afterwards. Well after faffing with work emails and just one more tea-ing I decided to get ready to go out, upon which it started raining  :facepalm:

As the weather radar reckoned I'd have a dry spot if I waited an hour I put the kettle on again.

And lo the rain did stop and I grabbed my GPS watch and my mp3 player. To find that I'd left the mp3 player on and whilst it had gone to sleep it had also nonetheless flattened the battery  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

It would have been very easy to say sod it especially as it was now sounding quite windy but I gave the player a quick ten minute charge and that was enough to get me round the run. The wind was a bit chilly for shorts and a t-shirt for the warmup walk but I was ok once I got going properly. I definitely need new trainers though.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2149 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:03:42 am »
intervals yesterday, 10k run today, intervals tomorrow.

i plan to do three races (itt's) in may - 5k on the first weekend, 10k on the middle and half marathon on the last.