Author Topic: This is not a tour 400  (Read 1729 times)

This is not a tour 400
« on: 16 August, 2017, 11:19:31 pm »
Saw this today whilst browsing things for next year.  I have limited knowledge of Wales, and although I've ridden some of the roads before, I definitely have no experience of any of the non sealed sections.

Pondering equipment, so wondering how long and how rough any of the non tarmac bits actually are.  Usual scouting of Google maps didn't help much.

Looks rather challenging

Hoping others can give the benefit of their experience.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: This is not a tour 400
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2017, 12:02:13 am »
Does sound very interesting.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2017, 12:17:17 am »
This ride is one of a number of events happening on the weekend of 2nd/3rd of June 2018.

There will be a range of event distances from 100km to 600km. There will also be long distance populaires.

All rides are a tribute/homage to Mike Hall, so to get some idea perhaps have a look at what he encountered on The Tour Divide. Then translate that into the Welsh countryside.

All procedes for these rides will go to charities.

Rather than getting carried away with this topic, can we wait a few days, then all will become a bit clearer.

We have an experienced team working on this on multiple platforms, Thanks.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2017, 04:45:40 am »
This has certainly piqued my interest, and I'll be looking out for the full programme.

I'm also awaiting news of Mille Cymru in 2018, which I saw some reference to elsewhere. Not sure if that was just wishful thinking, or actually being worked on.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2017, 08:22:19 am »
Definitely sounds like a weekend to get in the dairy, look forward to hearing more details, I'm sure it's going to get a lot of interest!

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2017, 11:19:44 am »
I looked at this, and the others, and have to say I was very interested. I love that part of the world and the Hirnant Pass in particular. Was a little put off by the multi surface aspect of it but maybe it's time to buy a gravel bike. Oh, and those hills, need looooooow grears.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2017, 12:24:17 pm »
Yup, sounds lovely. It's funny that we discussed Hirnant in that other whosatthewheel's thread about the Bwlch-y-Groes "Cingles". Well here's what Mark's new event will do:

"Rising out of Dolgellau [presumably over Cross Foxes climb??] on through Dinas Maldwydd to tackle Bwlch-y-Goes en-route to Lake Bala.the ride then ascends Hirnaunt Pass before dropping down to picturesque Lake Vyrnwy"

;D

Anyway, awaiting further details. should be great ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2017, 12:43:51 pm »
Calendar marked  :thumbsup:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2017, 02:20:29 pm »
Sounds superb will be there if at all possible