Author Topic: N+1 = Spa Audax Mono  (Read 14413 times)

Re: N+1 = Spa Audax Mono
« Reply #25 on: 15 March, 2023, 02:49:05 pm »
Well it seems you can’t move for Blue Spa Audax Mono’s on audax events. I count three so far!

Julian christened his one day before mine arrived. Dai outdid us both by building his last summer and fitting disk brake forks and 32mm tyres with mudguards. The 32mm tyres took some cunning and skulduggery.

Much as I would love 32mm tyres - I’ll stick with 28mm. The redshift stem and seatpost add 200g of weight, but they make 28mm tyres feel very plush.

If the stars align, the mono will do its first 200km next month. It’s a rolling ride (2000m), with nothing spiteful.

I’m on 42/16 (70.5”) which I really like. It is much less frantic downhill. Time will tell if that is too long for my tired legs in the last 50km of a 200km audax.

Today we rode for two hours around West London landmarks - passing the Museums to the East and as far south as Barnes bridge. I know it’s a cliche - but fixed works really well in London. And if you can pick the quiet roads and cycle ways - people will not believe that its the most relaxing cycling I know of.

« Reply #26 on: 15 March, 2023, 05:14:14 pm »
Warning a long ode to fixed follows..

—

Fixed has taught this old dog new tricks and injected new enthusiasm into a life long joy. To the untrained eye it’s just a bicycle. It looks like all the other bicycles, and yet it is an entirely different experience. A trike or recumbent looks different. They are different, and all the better for it. You expect them to be different. The difference is clear for all to see. But not fixed. It hides in plain sight.

I really love it.

The biggest difference is the lack of freewheel - a single gear isn’t a big deal, strangely. But  pedalling ALL the time is entirely new to anybody that has cycled for the last 45 years. We’ve always ridden freewheel. What is this crazy business. I see in very old adverts that bicycle forks had stirrups for your feet when going downhill. Old folk were tough. They thought nothing of crashing - it was par for the course. Brakes didn't work, so they regularly head butted walls, people, horses, trees. We’ve become soft…

It reminds me of driving on the opposite side of the road for the first time - everything is familiar, and yet you can’t trust your unconscious skills: You are plunged back into the chaotic and overwhelmed world of a beginner. It’s fine when things are going well - but the instant something urgent occurs, the legs stop moving! Or if you leave a cafe after a long break, and set off pedalling, then reach back to adjust the bag - of course stopping to pedal.  The tyres screech, your legs are thrown into confusion, your bum jumps off the seat, and finesse leaves on a one way trip to Timbuktu. It’s like walking awkwardly across a busy town square with a massive tray of overfilled beer, and then an air raid siren wails at full blast. Goodbye beer, hello panic.

Eventually you remember, but it takes many repeats of the refrain  “Keep bloody pedalling oaf!” - the steering wobbles a bit, and self-inflicted crisis is averted. Until the next time…

Did I mention that I love it?

If you are feeling jaded, the miles feel samey, the roads overly familiar. You’ve lost the desire to do shorter rides. Why not try fixed? It’s like introducing a puppy to an older dog. There will be grumbling. There will be rolling of eyes. There will be constant complaints. And yet - the twinkle in the eye will return. The colours feel brighter. The sounds more nuanced. This new interloper is really annoying… please get rid of them… tomorrow. Or the day after… or maybe the day after that…

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #27 on: 15 March, 2023, 06:39:26 pm »
It is great fun to ride. I am new to fixed, so I keep finding random situations where my muscle memory is to stop pedalling: This creates moments of unplanned excitement  ;D

I've been riding a fixed gear Pompino as my main transport bike for the best part of 20 years and I still forget to stop pedalling sometimes if I've been out on one of the other steeds.

Just one of those things.

Sam (it has been 0 days since I forgot to keep pedalling)
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #28 on: 15 March, 2023, 06:48:06 pm »
Ha ha. I love the idea of an accident board that says “X days since I stoped pedalling”. I must be able to make 1 day!

« Reply #29 on: 15 March, 2023, 09:54:24 pm »
It is great fun to ride. I am new to fixed, so I keep finding random situations where my muscle memory is to stop pedalling: This creates moments of unplanned excitement  ;D

I've been riding a fixed gear Pompino as my main transport bike for the best part of 20 years and I still forget to stop pedalling sometimes if I've been out on one of the other steeds.

Just one of those things.

Sam (it has been 0 days since I forgot to keep pedalling)

Equally amusing is going back onto a single speed freewheel and having your legs insist that they have to keep going round and feeling for the backlift when there isn't any!

« Reply #30 on: 15 March, 2023, 10:01:37 pm »
Looks really nice. Lovely paint colour

« Reply #31 on: 17 March, 2023, 06:42:46 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:

We had smashing weather this afternoon. Spring at last!

So we trundled along the Thames and Richmond park.

It has been 2 days since I forgot to keep pedalling...

« Reply #32 on: 25 April, 2023, 12:27:37 pm »
Equally amusing is going back onto a single speed freewheel and having your legs insist that they have to keep going round and feeling for the backlift when there isn't any!
I had a short flirtation with a geared bike and the utter terror as it rode off without me pedalling nearly had me walking!
I am immune to this effect on laidback bikes/trikes.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #33 on: 25 April, 2023, 03:57:49 pm »
Looks great. The spa frames are filling a bit of a hole in the market, very few fixed/SS frames about now with full mudguard and bottle cage mounts, the Genesis Flyer has turned into a Single Speed gravel bike. Look forward to the ride reports (once you've tightened the chain ;)).

Thanks Jon.

I almost overlooked Spa to be honest, even though I've bought my Elan from them. After Christmas they were selling the framesets for £270! Which was an unbelievable price for a nice 725 main triangle and all the audax'y options you list. I did plan to built it up myself - but when I totted up the item cost, the Spa complete bike was £50 more.

I shall wind the chain SOOO tight, that the chainstay starts to bend ;D

Just to make 100% certain; frame and forks for 275£? Could be tempted at that price.

« Reply #34 on: 25 April, 2023, 04:35:18 pm »
Not anymore - it's £375 - but I saw it drop to £270 £290 in the depths of January.

https://spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p4602/SPA-CYCLES-Audax-Mono-Frameset

Even the normal Audax (geared) was £275 until very recently - I was tempted to swap most of my cheap Triban onto a steel audax frame - but I'll wait till the prices drop again!

I'm hoping I haven't ruined for everyone by saying they are great value for money  ;D

*EDIT: Optimistic memory of price.

« Reply #35 on: 25 April, 2023, 05:44:38 pm »
Not anymore - it's £375 - but I saw it drop to £270 in the depths of January.

https://spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p4602/SPA-CYCLES-Audax-Mono-Frameset
Well yes, but now I know it was sold at some point at that price, I can haggle.

Geometry charts anywhere?

« Reply #36 on: 25 April, 2023, 06:37:20 pm »
It's the same geometry as the normal Steel Audax - knock yourself out:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/smsimg/uploads/audaxgeometry.jpg

« Reply #37 on: 26 April, 2023, 11:52:31 am »
A price correction - I double checked my spreadsheet from 10th Jan, and the frameset price was £290 for both the mono and the normal steel audax.

The way back machine doesn't sample Spa's webpage very often - so nothing to substantiate that other than I was pricing things up keenly and writing down what I saw.

To be honest - even at the current price: It's a nice 725 frame, decent carbon forks, no-nonsense in design, nice colours and significantly cheaper than a Condor Tempo frame and the same price as Dolan FXE frame. The Dolan FXE was also much cheaper over winter - and I suspect Spa track their pricing as closest competitor.

« Reply #38 on: 30 April, 2023, 04:05:47 pm »
Been waiting for months for the Condor Tempo to come back into stock ! I’m going to save the best part of £600 and Order a Mono , that blue colour looks great !

« Reply #39 on: 30 April, 2023, 05:00:03 pm »
It's the same geometry as the normal Steel Audax - knock yourself out:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/smsimg/uploads/audaxgeometry.jpg

The smallest frame has an effective top tube of 56cm, which is not an actual "small" frame.

« Reply #40 on: 30 April, 2023, 05:08:33 pm »
Just looked at the sizing , I’m in between sizes 52cm and 54cm ( longish torso and short legs ) so not sure what size to Order ! The sizing does look a bit of an mis mash , a 135mm head tube for a 54 is small ?

« Reply #41 on: 30 April, 2023, 05:13:30 pm »
Spa sizing can be a bit individual!

I’m 185cm tall with (short) 83cm inside leg. I used to ride a 58cm Audax but would have probably been better on a 56cm. I have a 56cm Elan, which feels enormous - not uncomfortable just like a monster truck.

My daughter who is c. 162cm iirc rides a 50cm Audax

Mike

« Reply #42 on: 30 April, 2023, 05:16:50 pm »
I can get away with adjusting reach etc , I hate a short seat post as it look odd and I think makes the bike less comfy .

« Reply #43 on: 30 April, 2023, 07:20:16 pm »
I bought a 60cm mono, I’ve ridden up to a 600 on it, I think it is a great frame.  It’s got all the audaxy bits, is well made and the 725 seems to cope well and provides a comfy ride.  I’m 6’5 with long legs, so not really a standard size, I struggled to get the right reach/drop and get the saddle set back right.  I splashed out over 6 months ago on a 61cm tempo and have found the geometry far more suited to me.  The mono is now swapped about and used for a bit of off road fixed riding, fast group rides and commuting and works a treat.
I would describe the mono as a more road geometry and the tempo as a more endurance geometry.

Just on a side note, not big enough for me be maybe something else to consider -
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOMU/on-one-mulo-frame

« Reply #44 on: 30 April, 2023, 09:43:53 pm »
I've got a 52cm Elan which is really comfy - but I went with a 54cm Mono.

As others say, 52 and 54 mono have the same effective top tube, which is about the same size as the 52cm Elan. I wanted less stem showing so I went with 54cm. It fits really well. The stack isn't too massive with bar and seat at the same height.

I had enough seat post to fit a redshift suspension post. These transform comfort for me on bikes with narrow tyres.

« Reply #45 on: 30 April, 2023, 09:45:22 pm »
Just on a side note, not big enough for me be maybe something else to consider -

That's really interesting - is that basically an updated Pompino with bigger tyre clearance?

« Reply #46 on: 01 May, 2023, 01:53:05 pm »

That's really interesting - is that basically an updated Pompino with bigger tyre clearance?

I believe so!

« Reply #47 on: 14 May, 2023, 09:11:42 pm »
The mono completed it's first 200km, the Cheltenham New Flyer. It's not an AAA ride, but it doesn't spare the hills - including chevrons.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=125709.0

It's a fantastic audax, and it wasn't as hard as I imagined on fixed. Not easy - but with lots of hill walking, and longer breaks, we got around without drama. In fact I was only 16 minutes slower than last year! Granted, I ride for joy, which puts me in the back third - but I thought I might be an hour slower.

sam

« Reply #48 on: 07 June, 2023, 09:49:36 pm »
It looks good. If I had some money to spare I'd get one.

Spa sizing can be a bit individual!

I had a lot of trouble deciding between medium & small on my Aspire (which I know isn't technically a Spa, it's just that Spa bought Sabbath). They didn't have medium in stock at the time, so I opted for small, as it was advertised to fit someone my height (and of course there's a lot more to it than that...). It turns out small fits fine, but I kind of wish I'd had a chance to try a medium as well. Just to satisfy my curiosity.

« Reply #49 on: 07 June, 2023, 10:15:00 pm »
Sizing is pretty individual - there is a large Sabbath Mondays Child in the shed set up with no spacers and the short headset to cap. It’s pretty aggressive but fits me well and is a complete hoot - has gears though, so doesn’t belong here.

Mike