Author Topic: N+1 = Spa Audax Mono  (Read 14405 times)

Re: N+1 = Spa Audax Mono
« Reply #50 on: 12 June, 2023, 10:10:20 pm »
The addiction is beyond hopeless. We went for another audax around North Wessex downs, "Up the Downs".

This is Combe Gibbet...

... it was so hot I was willing the thundercloud closer!

« Reply #51 on: 16 June, 2023, 08:25:33 pm »
A nice review of the mono in the press.

https://road.cc/content/review/spa-cycles-audax-mono-301575

I'm glad it isn't just me that finds these things so addictive.

« Reply #52 on: 08 August, 2023, 10:42:18 pm »
Another gratuitous photo - but it is a smashing blue colour!

This time at the end of this months 200km ride, waiting for the Liz line back into The Smoke.

And at the top of Chute's causeway - a smashing valley in the North Wessex Downs.

For some reason, I felt it necessary to ride up every hill - which was a novelty for me: I normally prefer to join the ramblers on a steep hill. And chute's causeway took some determination to keep turning VERY slow circles. But we pedalled up everything on this ride - which was rather satisfying.

« Reply #53 on: 30 August, 2023, 05:57:36 pm »
I’m seriously thinking about getting one of these, that’s the easy part, decision made. Now to justify it 😂🤔

sam

« Reply #54 on: 06 September, 2023, 04:35:59 pm »
I've got a 52cm Elan which is really comfy - but I went with a 54cm Mono.

As others say, 52 and 54 mono have the same effective top tube, which is about the same size as the 52cm Elan. I wanted less stem showing so I went with 54cm. It fits really well. The stack isn't too massive with bar and seat at the same height.

Can I ask how tall you are?

« Reply #55 on: 06 September, 2023, 05:07:32 pm »
I've got a 52cm Elan which is really comfy - but I went with a 54cm Mono.

As others say, 52 and 54 mono have the same effective top tube, which is about the same size as the 52cm Elan. I wanted less stem showing so I went with 54cm. It fits really well. The stack isn't too massive with bar and seat at the same height.

Can I ask how tall you are?

Of course - I'm 5ft 8in. 31 inch leg inseam.

I like the riding position so much for audax, I'm saving up for a geared Audax frameset (54cm, in sparkly red) that I can use as my geared Audax bike for the really long and/or hilly stuff.

The Elan is comfier, and 35mm tyres give great confidence. But the much more upright position, and extra 2kg are noticeable on a long ride. It's a much better touring, bylane, luggage carrier - so still has a firm place in the shed.

sam

« Reply #56 on: 06 September, 2023, 05:26:26 pm »
Thanks.

Btw I liked your ode to fixed (though I'll never change my freewheeling ways).

It reminds me of driving on the opposite side of the road for the first time - everything is familiar, and yet you can’t trust your unconscious skills: You are plunged back into the chaotic and overwhelmed world of a beginner.

I found that the mantra "left is life, right is death" helped when I came here from the States.

« Reply #57 on: 06 September, 2023, 09:37:22 pm »
Thanks.

Btw I liked your ode to fixed (though I'll never change my freewheeling ways).

It reminds me of driving on the opposite side of the road for the first time - everything is familiar, and yet you can’t trust your unconscious skills: You are plunged back into the chaotic and overwhelmed world of a beginner.

I found that the mantra "left is life, right is death" helped when I came here from the States.

My "mere" ode is no match for your manifesto  - I shall try harder, or maybe just shout louder ;D

PS. I also love freewheeling - preferably on a long, gentle downhill, with no annoying things to brake for - just clicking along at 20mph with not a care in the world.

PPS. I'm actually very tempted to build a bike that NOBODY will like - and that is a triple front, but a single speed rear. None of this close ratio non-sense. I shall christen the gears:
  • Cruising
  • This is a tad lumpy/windy
  • You can stuff your chevron where the sun....

« Reply #58 on: 07 September, 2023, 11:31:54 am »
PPS. I'm actually very tempted to build a bike that NOBODY will like - and that is a triple front, but a single speed rear. None of this close ratio non-sense. I shall christen the gears:
  • Cruising

It exists.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-internal-hub-gear-brake/sturmey-archer-s3x-3spd-fixed-hub-silver-130mm-oln-36-hole/

« Reply #59 on: 07 September, 2023, 12:06:37 pm »
  • Cruising

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-internal-hub-gear-brake/sturmey-archer-s3x-3spd-fixed-hub-silver-130mm-oln-36-hole/

Funny you mention that...

As I pushed the "post" button my brain went "Wait - wouldn't a 3 speed hub have the same gear range as my triple chainrings?"

felstedrider

« Reply #60 on: 23 September, 2023, 04:48:38 pm »
Found a crack in the green Dolan which had been out of action for a few months.  I note that the price of the FXE has gone up quite a bit.

The mono is currently on sale at £375 and they have a 52cm in bronze.   Currently procrastinating but I think I might make a purchase.

felstedrider

« Reply #61 on: 29 September, 2023, 08:24:14 am »
Found a crack in the green Dolan which had been out of action for a few months.  I note that the price of the FXE has gone up quite a bit.

The mono is currently on sale at £375 and they have a 52cm in bronze.   Currently procrastinating but I think I might make a purchase.

And the box arrived yesterday.  A 52cm mono in metallic bronze.  The build is a bit of a project as the bits need to come off 2 bikes.

« Reply #62 on: 29 September, 2023, 08:38:15 am »
Smart! Enjoy the build  :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 11 October, 2023, 02:57:27 pm »
A fabulous October day in the downs for this months brevet.

Eton is very familiar to me - but as I age, I understand the extraordinary history of this place.

Chute's Causeway is a rod for my own back - it hits 13% at times - but I've got up before with no foot fouls, so that is the new standard!

felstedrider

« Reply #64 on: 11 October, 2023, 07:19:57 pm »
Smart! Enjoy the build  :thumbsup:

Picking mine up Friday morning.

« Reply #65 on: 24 December, 2023, 03:36:43 pm »
Time for a new chain. They don't last long, 2500km. But I suspect I've run it a smidge too tight at times - by not finding the inevitable tight spot, and setting the tension for that.

It is still a very handsome beast: The svelte steel tubes, with sparkly blue metallic paint, and the classic shiny silver drivetrain. I like it very much... still.

« Reply #66 on: 28 December, 2023, 07:00:03 pm »
What's the basic weight of your SPA Audax Mono please trundle, just as a matter of interest. Apologies if you've revealed this upthread already and I've missed it.
Finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind

« Reply #67 on: 28 December, 2023, 07:27:14 pm »
Funny you should ask; I've spent happy hours building complicated weight wheeny spreadsheets this xmas holiday instead of watching junk on TV.

It's a knats whisker over 10kg as I have it - but I've got strong wheels (1.9kg with skewers), spd pedals, full mudguards, full redshift suspension stem (280g) and seatpost (500g), and gel pads (100g!) under tape, 28mm schwalbe tyres and butyl tubes.

I reckon without the suspension it would have been 9.7kg out of the box with standard SPD pedals, mudguards etc. But I didn't weight it then.

It would be easy to get it under 9kg without mudguards, lighter wheels, tpu's tubes. And if you went mad with carbon bits - I'm sure it could hit 7.5kg - and break into a thousand splinters on the first pot hole  ;D

« Reply #68 on: 29 December, 2023, 04:50:55 am »
Thanks for that info, I've never been a weight weenie but do think a decent lightweight steed makes all the difference when riding a fixed gear. I've an old Raleigh 531 frame which I use fixed and have it at around 10 kg without much trouble or expense. I'd like to get it down to around 8.5 kg but that would mean building up a set of wheels at around £200 for the components and splashing out on a pair of GP5000's. Maybe a project for the early Spring. Cheers.
Finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind

« Reply #69 on: 30 December, 2023, 05:32:22 pm »
Exploring more London alleyways, from https://bluecrowmedia.com/products/london-alleyways-map map. Around Charring Cross.

This is Craven Passage - made famous by Sherlock Holmes. The red pub at the top of the steps is one pub, in two separate buildings split by the passageway.

Around the back of St James park.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #70 on: 31 December, 2023, 08:50:35 am »
Looks lovely, and quite tempting. They don’t seem to do a larger frame with steel forks, maybe they would swap them out. I have a mistrust of carbon forks, that will not go away.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #71 on: 04 February, 2024, 03:03:52 pm »
This is reviewed in the latest CTC wearecyclinguk rag.

Unfortunately the reviewer doesn't mention:

1. The difficulty of using track ends with full mudguards
2. Whether the chainline is good - it often isn't on production bikes

Also, 42 x 18?  That's lethal!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #72 on: 05 February, 2024, 04:53:40 pm »
1. The difficulty of using track ends with full mudguards
It is a pain which is alleviated to a degree by the use of SKS quick release clips that are normally used on the front guards - I've got these on my Ridgeback Solo commuter. Overall I do agree which is why I prefer the forward facing dropouts on the Condor Tempo and which were available on the Genesis Flyer but this model is now produced as a disc brake single speed with no fixed option. The other advantage is that the angle of the forward facing drop outs means that when moving the back wheel backwards or forwards the brake pads stay aligned (if a rear brake is used).

2. Whether the chainline is good - it often isn't on production bikes
I'm not sure it enters into the thinking when putting bikes together. I've bought two fixed gear bikes second hand but with the origignal drivetrains and the chainlines have been very suboptimal.

Also, 42 x 18?  That's lethal!
Why lethal? is it that it's a low gear? Looks to be about 63" which I've used on long hilly rides (with a rear brake)

I've seen quite a few of these bikes on audaxes, they do tick a lot of boxes, e.g. fittings for bottle cages and mudguards. I've not met anyone disappointed by them and they are very good value for money.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #73 on: 10 February, 2024, 01:48:09 pm »
Yes, 63" is better with a rear brake.  Not great without one, though, if you find yourself on a long downhill.

I'm a bit obsessed with chainline.  Even if it's not noisy, a bad chainline wears the chainring and sprocket in a way it shouldn't (it's constantly pressing on one side of the teeth), it increases the risk of breakage, and it also increases the risk of throwing the chain if you let it get as slack as in a Fixed Gear Gallery photo.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #74 on: 12 February, 2024, 08:32:09 pm »
Spa have a clearance model for sale, bronze, 54cm - £575.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s221p5217/SPA-CYCLES-Audax-Mono-Clearance-Model-%28Ex-Demo%29

No pictures yet - but considering the frameset alone is £375, and it comes with hand built wheels worth more than £200 - you are getting the rest of the bike for free!