General Category > Freewheeling

Steel - is it real?

(1/5) > >>

Stuart Anderson:
Not had a steel bicycle for over 25 years and don't suppose I ever gave this a second thought... But rusting. Is it worth the worry? The Internet being what it is, there's plenty of doom and gloom but I'm aware bad news tends to travel faster and further.

For no other reason I fancy a change/n+1 and have my eye on the Spa Elan 725 mk2 (when they come back in stock).

It'll be used for Audax and very regular commuting come rain or shine. Am I/it going to die!?

Thanks, Stuart.

Wowbagger:
I think steel is the best all-round material for frames. And no, rust is most unlikely to be a problem. My steel-framed Thorn has been a good friend for almost 18 years and I've done over 41,000 miles on it. Easily good for another 41,000 but I'm not likely to live anywhere near long enough to make much of a dent in that.

mrcharly-YHT:

--- Quote from: Stuart Anderson on 07 February, 2024, 10:03:47 am ---Not had a steel bicycle for over 25 years and don't suppose I ever gave this a second thought... But rusting. Is it worth the worry? The Internet being what it is, there's plenty of doom and gloom but I'm aware bad news tends to travel faster and further.

For no other reason I fancy a change/n+1 and have my eye on the Spa Elan 725 mk2 (when they come back in stock).

It'll be used for Audax and very regular commuting come rain or shine. Am I/it going to die!?

Thanks, Stuart.

--- End quote ---
I have a steel genesis in 725. It's been my main bike for years, neglected and not cleaned enough. Paint job is carp and there are lots of spots touched up with hammerite (reason 1 of why black is a good colour for frames).

The rust problem is overstated, I expect steel to outlast aluminium or carbon. Aluminum also corrodes, particularly from road salt. Carbon is susceptible to abrasion and crush damage.

The downside is that steel is heavy and not as 'lively' as carbon.

Hot Flatus:
As above. If you want something exciting and sporty, steel is not it. Aluminium is a good compromise between worry-free nature of steel and snappy ride qualities. Its cheap, and although it has a finite life you are unlikely to arrive at that point. Carbon can be, by some margin, the most exciting to ride, but it is expensive and far more easy to damage.

There's a reason why the old Ribble 7005 audax frames were so popular.

trundle:

--- Quote from: Stuart Anderson on 07 February, 2024, 10:03:47 am ---Not had a steel bicycle for over 25 years and don't suppose I ever gave this a second thought... But rusting. Is it worth the worry? The Internet being what it is, there's plenty of doom and gloom but I'm aware bad news tends to travel faster and further.

Thanks, Stuart.

--- End quote ---

I've got a mk1 725 Elan, and I expect it to give me at least 20 years cycling without worrying about rust problems. Component obsolescence will limit or stop play long before frame rust does, or I'll lose interest and sell it for something else - possibly with a battery if I become too feeble to cycle as long as I want under my own power.

With normal ownership, frame rust is not going to stop play. There are loads of decades old retro steel racing frames for sale on ebay.

Even tough/abusive ownership takes a while to rust an average steel frame - my 20 year old Dawes Galaxy is nothing fancy, but even rust didn't finish that: A weak spot at the seat stay did... made worse by carrying a heavy single pannier. It spent lots of time living outside. Some years not moving at all. Ridden in all conditions, road floods, turbo trainer sweat etc etc. and frame rust didn't kill it.

Your average N+1 bike probably lives a very cosseted life, so frame rust isn't going to limit its life IMHO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version