Author Topic: Fixed Frame with plenty of Mudguard and Tyre Clearance  (Read 8571 times)

Fixed Frame with plenty of Mudguard and Tyre Clearance
« on: 23 December, 2015, 10:55:02 am »
Morning All

Back on the Steamroller for the first time after a bit of fettling and a couple of years of it languishing in the back of the shed.
Recent riding has been on a LHT with nice fat tyres and relaxed geometry. Going back to the Steamroller is quite a shock to the system and gives a hard and harsh ride in comparison on skinny high pressure tyres. Unfortunately there just isn't a lot of room for guards and tyres bigger than 700x28's. So I've now started looking at other frames with bigger clearance.
Obvious choices at the moment look to be a Cross Check or All City Nature Boy. Does a Pompino have decent clearance?
Ideally looking for something that will take 45mm guards and 35mm tyres

Cheers

Chris

Chris N

Re: Fixed Frame with plenty of Mudguard and Tyre Clearance
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2015, 11:27:09 am »
Lots of disc braked gnarmac bikes out there that'll take fatter tyres, some with eccentric BBs and/or adjustable dropouts OK for fixed.  Frame only options a bit more limited.  Cotic Escapade has track ends and can take 45mm tyre but disc only.

If you want to stick with rim brakes then there don't seem to be as many any more.  Pompino definitely has space for 32mm + guards, probably could go a little bigger (FWIW, On One say 35mm will fit)

« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2015, 12:00:49 pm »
Thanks for that Chris. Definitely rim brakes as would be just swapping over components. Emailed On One to see what they say about clearance as £130 for frame and fork seems a bargain!

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2015, 12:01:18 pm »
Genesis Day One will take 32mm + guards.

Or for frame only with big tyres:
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/frames/longitude-frameset
<i>Marmite slave</i>

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2015, 03:51:52 pm »
I've run my Surly Karate Monkey fixed.  Disk brake only, will take 55mm tyres with guards (yes, I've done that).  Currently on 28mm as they are better for commuting on

I haven't run the Inbred fixed but it has horizontal drop outs and that has the 55mm tyres on it now

Next year in the larger than 25mm tyre dept the tubeless Schwalbe S one or G one will be making an appearence at some point I reckon

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2015, 04:43:05 pm »
I've run my Surly Karate Monkey fixed. 

Been looking at the KM and Ogre. What chainring clearance do you get and what chain line do you have?

« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2015, 08:27:50 pm »
Bombtrack Arise? Claims clearance for 42c tyres.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #7 on: 23 December, 2015, 09:10:36 pm »
I'm riding a cross-check with 42mm Conti Touring Plus tyres with guards. Very cushy over cobbles, and reasonably sharp, no-surprises handling.

The bike scores highly on versatility too. If I feel like a change from ss/fixed I've just bought a 10 speed back wheel that should work well with the 42T chainring and switching to a 1x10 configuration should be a quick job using the brazed on DT fitting for the gearchange - just add gear lever, cable, derailleur and swap wheel and chain. This is of course irrelevant if you don't care about versatility!
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2015, 10:06:04 pm »
I miss my Surly Steamroller like crazy (nearly 2-years since she was removed from me) - I found the geometry quite relaxed and moved my saddle further forward to compensate - I used to run 28mm with full guards and 32mm with none - I remember it being described as a 'modern track frame' but I suoose this just means a compromise between track and road?  My newer road specific frame is much more comfortable but it doesn't have a small dent dent in the top tube, a welded R rear stay, or a smudge of black spray paint on the seat cluster.

Perhaps you could try one of those Yankee style Audax bikes?  I don't know any names but they look mighty cool and I notice that they always run much fatter tyres than Europeans - not sure if Salsa bikes would fit that mode but I don't think they do a horizontal drop out?

« Reply #9 on: 23 December, 2015, 10:22:06 pm »
I bought a Pompino to have space for studded tyres, which are very large. Think mine are 35mm plus studs, and I have guards fitted. Obviously most of the time I use normal tyres.

« Reply #10 on: 24 December, 2015, 09:32:33 am »
Bombtrack Arise? Claims clearance for 42c tyres.

That is beautiful. Just trying to find out where I can get hold of one!

« Reply #11 on: 25 December, 2015, 06:13:17 pm »
Wiggle did have them

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12 on: 25 December, 2015, 08:02:07 pm »
Like drossall said, the Pompino has plenty of clearance.  I used to run 35 mm M+ with guards on mine without any tight spaces.

« Reply #13 on: 25 December, 2015, 10:15:10 pm »
Like drossall said, the Pompino has plenty of clearance.  I used to run 35 mm M+ with guards on mine without any tight spaces.

Emailed On One and they reconned that clearance was ony 28 + guards but have seen plenty of posts in various places to the contrary. Planet X sent out a mail yesterday with a 20% discount code so can pick one up for £108!! Whats not to like?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 25 December, 2015, 11:05:08 pm »
I have a Pompino with Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres and mudguards as a fixed commuter. The limiting clearance is at the chain stays, which is tighter than I'd prefer but acceptable.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15 on: 25 December, 2015, 11:07:58 pm »
Web site says 32C, but also says that there has been a change in geometry. Maybe it's not quite as spacious as it was?

Gratuitous link to the Pompino thread.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #16 on: 26 December, 2015, 02:23:13 am »
Yes, there have been several versions of the Pompino frame over the years. Not sure about clearance with the current frame. I think the Pompetamine had a bit more space, but seems that is no longer available.

You can get more clearance by putting the wheel a bit further back in the dropouts.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #17 on: 26 December, 2015, 01:02:44 pm »
another option (often overlooked) is adapting an old steel frameset that was built for 27" wheels. the majority of 27" wheels were used with 32mm (or 1 1/4") tyres by default, with mudguards, so by installing 700c wheels you gain extra 4mm clearance. the trick is to find a decent frame, as quite a few of them are rusted, don't have bottle cage mounts, have seized parts..

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 26 December, 2015, 02:30:54 pm »
Though fitting 622s to a 630 frame can lead to bad language and/or power tools when trying to get the brake blocks to use the rim as a braking surface rather than the tyre.  DAMHIKT.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #19 on: 26 December, 2015, 03:16:38 pm »
Though fitting 622s to a 630 frame can lead to bad language and/or power tools when trying to get the brake blocks to use the rim as a braking surface rather than the tyre.  DAMHIKT.

you would need to use appropriate drop calipers, obviously. otherwise neither language or tools is going to get the results. i've had this setup working no problem fwiw, 700x28c tyres with mudguards and ~1.5cm clearance in between.

« Reply #20 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:36:35 am »
Well I've had the tape measure out on the Steamroller before making a decision on what to do. The frame definitely has loads of room for bigger tyres and guards, I think the main restriction is the brakes. Been doing a bit of research and Tektro do a 'widemouth' caliper to facilitate larger guards and tyres or could go old fashioned centre pull. Think I might order a set of brakes and do a bit of fiddling around to see what's what.
Failing that, it may turn in to a Cross Check or All City Space Horse.

« Reply #21 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:07:05 pm »
Thread highjack !!! ( sorry Christophe )  The Verenti isolation cx 1.2  for £ 329.40 , @ Wiggle looks to good to be true . Would this be a better buy as a long term commuter .Than  an On one Pompino .( 10 mile each way  4 miles on clarty cycle track )  htpp:/wiggle.co.uk.verenti-isolation-cx12-2015
Its More Fun With Three .

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:48:56 pm »
Disappointed to note that the Cotic Roadrat frame is now disc-only and that they seem to have dropped the Roadhog fork with its disc mounts on the RH leg ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #23 on: 29 December, 2015, 11:00:35 pm »
Thread highjack !!! ( sorry Christophe )  The Verenti isolation cx 1.2  for £ 329.40 , @ Wiggle looks to good to be true . Would this be a better buy as a long term commuter .Than  an On one Pompino .( 10 mile each way  4 miles on clarty cycle track )  htpp:/wiggle.co.uk.verenti-isolation-cx12-2015
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-isolation-cx12-singlespeed-2015/ - not sure about too good to be true, but too good to be still available.

ETA: or so I thought - see below
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #24 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:33:44 am »
Bugger !!!  Their were  8 large framed  Verenti isolatoin bikes when I tried to post the link . He who hesitates is fu?ked , I mean lost  comes to mind .  ( EDIT) I Have just tried the link again and if you select the size it tells you 8 are available  so I am still not sure if the isolation ( what a crap name ) are the donkeys knob or rubber crank .
Its More Fun With Three .