Author Topic: iPhone and photos on SD card  (Read 1585 times)

iPhone and photos on SD card
« on: 01 December, 2017, 09:51:45 am »
I know it's possible to import photos from a SD card to the iPhone's internal memory using the SD card reader (I have one) but is it possible to do it the other way round, i.e. move photos from the iPhone to the card, either using the phone's built in features or with a downloaded app?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: iPhone and photos on SD card
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2021, 01:18:57 pm »
Hmm - I came here on the off-chance that my issue might have been raised. Sorry to hijack your almost-4-year-old thread yoav.

I have a 128GB Sd card with a load of photos on it, which I want to transfer. I have the Panasonic app on my phone and ipad, and I normally get the ipad to link to the camera's wifi hotspot and transfer them wirelessly. This morning, the app starts to transfer a few photos then reported an error. This happened several times.

I now have the SD card inserted into the right orifice on my Mac Mini. Finder fails to report that the SD card is there but I get a chastising message if I remove the card from the slot. Disk utility can see that there is a card there and allows me to unmount it, but it seems that the card has no name and I'm wondering if that is the reason that Finder can't see it.

I don't want to erase the card as there are about 2 days' worth of photos I haven't managed to download yet.

Is there a way in disk utility to name the card or otherwise make Finder see it without deleting its contents?

Thanks in advance.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2021, 01:25:47 pm »
Sounds like the card isn’t formatted in a format that the Mac can read. I assume you don’t have access to a Windows machine that you could try?

Otherwise will it work transferring the pictures one at a time? It might be that the process is crashing because of a corruption in either the picture file itself or the area of the card where it’s stored.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2021, 01:32:12 pm »
Which OS  OSX or OSXI?

Also, Disk Utility has an option to 'Mount' which might work? Big Sur has been playing havoc with my SD card mounting...
It is simpler than it looks.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2021, 01:36:08 pm »
Try another card reader. Make sure it supports SDXC.

Or try a USB cable from the camera to the Mac.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 14 February, 2021, 02:00:22 pm »
Which OS  OSX or OSXI?

Also, Disk Utility has an option to 'Mount' which might work? Big Sur has been playing havoc with my SD card mounting...

I think it's down to Big Sur.

Under previous manifestations of the OS, any SD cards would show up in the top level of the Finder window. Now you have to look down a level by clicking on the name of the computer it's plugged into. I have just found this by accident.

In my case, the computer is called "Pie".

That doesn't explain why the iPhone Panasonic app couldn't transfer the files.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 14 February, 2021, 02:17:26 pm »
No problem wowbagger. I would do what the others suggest which is keep the card in the camera and use a cable to transfer the photos to the computer. Assuming the camera can read all the photos without issue.

And in reply to my own 2017 question, it is now possible using the Files app. The photo can be transferred from the photo album to Files as one of the share options. Inserting a SD card into the lighting to SD card adapter will cause it to appear on the Files app as a location and the photo can be moved to it.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #7 on: 14 February, 2021, 06:31:09 pm »
Under previous manifestations of the OS, any SD cards would show up in the top level of the Finder window. Now you have to look down a level by clicking on the name of the computer it's plugged into. I have just found this by accident.

Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Locations > External disks > Tick

Although I think they just display lower down than they used to.