Author Topic: Pulling an active log from gps back to tracklogs problem  (Read 1715 times)

Pulling an active log from gps back to tracklogs problem
« on: 30 April, 2011, 07:53:57 am »
I'm having a problem with my Etrex Vista c  and tracklogs.

After doing a DIY by GPS  I pulled the active log into tracklogs then saved it as a gpx . 

The file has been saved with the Naismith algorithm imposed on it, so it is showing a 12 hour ride taking 44hours using the hillwalking setting  ( and no , Im not that slow!) and the file was rejected ( quite rightly) by the DIY organiser

I know the correct information is there as I have downloaded the fiile using GPSBabel and then extracted the information which shows all of the correct time points. But I cant get the summary to show correctly in tracklogs or a file produced by tracklogs ???

Anyone come across this before? Any ideas?   

Re: Pulling an active log from gps back to tracklogs problem
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2011, 08:05:15 am »
Have you tried using MapSource to transfer from the Etrex and save it to gpx?

« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2011, 08:20:38 am »
No  I dont use it and will have to install it on this laptop.  I'll dig it out out and give it a go.

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2011, 08:30:14 am »
Might be worth giving it a go. I know it's pretty naff for mapping / route planning but I just use it for transferring files to / from the Garmin and doing any gpx processing - it seems to do that very well, as it should since this was after all what it was designed to do.

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2011, 08:53:29 am »
Just heard back from the org that the gpx file downloaded with GPSbabel direct from the Etrex is correct and works so the problem loks like it is definitely with is with Tracklogs.

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2011, 09:06:09 am »
if you're talking tracklogs digital mapping can you not open it and change the algorithm? then re save it.
 when i've downloaded some of my 100 mile rides my walking algorithm shows on the stats but i usually just change it to anothet  or if it's important i select the 'use gps recorded data' and then re save it.
if it won't do it as a .gpx could you save it as a .trl ,change the algorithm or used the gps speed data and then save again as a .gpx?

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2011, 09:53:01 am »
if you're talking tracklogs digital mapping can you not open it and change the algorithm? then re save it.
 when i've downloaded some of my 100 mile rides my walking algorithm shows on the stats but i usually just change it to anothet  or if it's important i select the 'use gps recorded data' and then re save it.
if it won't do it as a .gpx could you save it as a .trl ,change the algorithm or used the gps speed data and then save again as a .gpx?

The algorithm can be changed, but it still applies, rather than actual recorded time. I need to remove it altogether

Where do you select the "use gps recorded data" ?  I cant find that option and that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve!

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2011, 03:17:48 pm »
when you import from the gps click on the profile tab. when thats on screen right click on the profile and then hover over time and speed data, this brings up a choice of using naismith or gps data.
i've never used it on a tracklog thats already saved but would think that anything is worth a try to get what you need. hope that it may work for you.

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »
theres always garmin connect which may give you what you need, it gives a few alternatives in file saving.

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2011, 05:49:11 pm »
when you import from the gps click on the profile tab. when thats on screen right click on the profile and then hover over time and speed data, this brings up a choice of using naismith or gps data.
i've never used it on a tracklog thats already saved but would think that anything is worth a try to get what you need. hope that it may work for you.

Thats great, found that and it does change it. :thumbsup:  Also didnt help that I downloaded the day after the ride and the gps must have got a lock through the window as it added to the active log.

All sorted now  many thanks