Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1619189 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10425 on: 13 October, 2018, 07:34:05 pm »
I’m beset by lurgy, which is never fun. Worse, Mrs Dan is being kept apart from a craft show and I’ve got bike bits that I need the time and energy to fettle.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10426 on: 14 October, 2018, 12:14:03 pm »
Power is off in the shop.  How am I supposed to indulge in the British passion for panic buying?
I was going to strip at least one shelf of bread and buy every roll of bog paper they have.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10427 on: 14 October, 2018, 12:45:50 pm »
Power is off in the shop.  How am I supposed to indulge in the British passion for panic buying?
I was going to strip at least one shelf of bread and buy every roll of bog paper they have.
It’s going to take more than a wodge of bog roll to mop that lot up!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10428 on: 14 October, 2018, 02:24:24 pm »
Rellies gave me a Beer52 voucher for my birthday, 3 month subscription of 8 beers a month.  That's not the grumble (far from it)

Beer52 require a credit card number from me in order to set up the delivery of the beer they've already been paid for.
Beer52 will auto renew my subscription at the end of the pre-paid 3 months.
To cancel I have to phone the shysters, can't do it online.
The beer choices are:
 - Light
 - Mixed light & dark (which contains a max of 2 dark beers a month)
At £3 a beer they ain't exactly giving it away.

No forking way are this bunch of charlatans getting a penny of my money.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

ian

« Reply #10429 on: 14 October, 2018, 04:16:20 pm »
Isn't that how all those things work? Free or discounted offer upfront – attractive as a gift – and then rely on people forgetting or not being bothered to cancel.

I have a Brewdog Fanzine thing from somewhere, I think I pay for it or it might just be one of the things that happen because I talked to someone once when I was drunk, but anyway, three beers every fortnight and they're usually an interesting and pretty good selection. That said, I'm generally happy to browse in a shop. Which is why I went out for a loaf of bread and wobbled back with 12 large cans of beers yesterday. I suspect some of them cost more than £3...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10430 on: 14 October, 2018, 05:37:59 pm »
Try bartering. If you want a pint of milk, swap a house for it!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10431 on: 14 October, 2018, 08:58:26 pm »
Looks like my dishwasher is dying. All the lights have fixed on and it seems to just want to run a drying cycle. It's hard to find out too much about it as it appears to have been MFI's house brand (Diplomat).
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10432 on: 14 October, 2018, 09:04:27 pm »
Shame you're at the other end of England! My Hygena (MFI house brand) worked fine when I last used it 17 years ago but it flooded the kitchen due to spent door seals. I don't use a dishwasher and couldn't be arsed to remove the beastie...

fuzzy

« Reply #10433 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:49:06 am »
I should be getting culturalised in Valletta right now.

Because broken ribs and punctured lung I am watching South East English rain.

Arse :-\

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #10434 on: 15 October, 2018, 12:25:19 pm »
Looks like my dishwasher is dying. All the lights have fixed on and it seems to just want to run a drying cycle. It's hard to find out too much about it as it appears to have been MFI's house brand (Diplomat).
I had one that did that. Something overflowed underneath the dishwasher, and stuck the float on that told it that it was full. Plus the circuit board was underneath as well and got drowned.

Short term solution was to tip the dishwasher to drain all the water that was triggering the pump but not actually getting pumped.

« Reply #10435 on: 15 October, 2018, 01:03:13 pm »
Everything hurts.  My twisted ankle seems to be aggravating an already twinging lower back. Now a YHA bed & pillow has given me a sore neck. I can see a few visits to the physio in my future.  I’m supposed to be marching in London on Saturday, that’s going to do me a lot of good  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #10436 on: 15 October, 2018, 01:10:40 pm »
Well if you make it to London, you can lean against me :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #10437 on: 15 October, 2018, 02:13:24 pm »
Well if you make it to London, you can lean against me :-)

You’re a handsome brute, but already married  ;)

I’m glad I bought a strong umbrella with me, it’s been useful for more than keeping the rain off.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10438 on: 15 October, 2018, 03:18:19 pm »
The 10 mm brad-point wood drill I just bought looks beautiful but the damned centre point is about 0.5 mm off-centre.

As Fuzzy observed above, arse.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10439 on: 15 October, 2018, 03:33:11 pm »
The 10 mm brad-point wood drill I just bought looks beautiful but the damned centre point is about 0.5 mm off-centre.

As Fuzzy observed above, arse.

I have a several of similarly dubious drill bits (mostly the spade type), to serve as a reminder not to buy important drill bits from Wilko.

They're adequate for making rough holes in plastic enclosures that are going to be filed square or hidden by a generously flanged panel-mount connector, so I can't quite bring myself to bin them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10440 on: 15 October, 2018, 04:07:48 pm »
Yeah. Not keen on spade bits - brutal.  I'm ordering a nice Fisch replacement but I couldn't wait for a week. My blunt old 10 mm got through without too much smoke.

Heh - yesterday my cordless drill batteries were both flat, one from use and the other from internal discharge (piece of rubbish), so I resorted to my 1960s Woolworth's hand-drill, also cordless.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10441 on: 15 October, 2018, 05:17:22 pm »
Heh - yesterday my cordless drill batteries were both flat, one from use and the other from internal discharge (piece of rubbish), so I resorted to my 1960s Woolworth's hand-drill, also cordless.
I bet that didn’t smoke too much either  :D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #10442 on: 15 October, 2018, 09:36:01 pm »
I should be getting culturalised in Valletta right now.

Because broken ribs and punctured lung I am watching South East English rain.

Arse :-\

If it’s any consolation it’s been pissing it down and howling a gale across the med today. And the forecast for Valletta over the next week is more of the same.

I came here to have a moan about the various crap Storm Callum has shat on my current trip but having seen Basil’s pictures I’ll STFU.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10443 on: 16 October, 2018, 08:33:55 am »
I bet that didn’t smoke too much either  :D

No, but I steamed a bit.

« Reply #10444 on: 16 October, 2018, 10:15:46 am »
Everything hurts.  My twisted ankle seems to be aggravating an already twinging lower back. Now a YHA bed & pillow has given me a sore neck. I can see a few visits to the physio in my future.  I’m supposed to be marching in London on Saturday, that’s going to do me a lot of good  :(

Rode into work today , very nervous about putting the foot with the damaged ankle down.  Using my own bike with clipless pedals would be a no-no, unclipping would hurt!

I've always avoided working from home, I like to keep the two parts of my life separate , and I'm very easily distracted, so would probably get nothing done.   However its looking like I'm going to need to get myself set up with a remote login.   This will probably necessitate going into the loft, where I think I've a spare monitor, keyboard & mouse, I'm not using the ones on my work laptop.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10445 on: 16 October, 2018, 10:25:47 am »
Running out of decent wood and the bloody shops don't stock any these days. :(

« Reply #10446 on: 17 October, 2018, 06:48:56 am »
Running out of decent wood and the bloody shops don't stock any these days. :(

Decent wood is something I buy from sawmills, not from shops. Okay, it's a lot of trouble, as you will need 1) to buy a large amount, 2) a van, 3) time and room to store the wood and let it dry properly, but in the end, believe me it is well worth all the trouble!

A

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10447 on: 17 October, 2018, 09:49:48 am »
Got all those except the time and the money.  Oh, I could use a planer/thicknesser too.

Yesterday I ended up cannibalising the leg of a mahogany table that was made in Uganda around 1960. It was as ugly as a broken brick and the missus has been telling me to kill it for the last 30 years.

« Reply #10448 on: 17 October, 2018, 11:22:46 am »
Yesterday I ended up cannibalising the leg of a mahogany table that was made in Uganda around 1960.

:o

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #10449 on: 17 October, 2018, 12:56:48 pm »
Yesterday I ended up cannibalising the leg of a mahogany table that was made in Uganda around 1960. It was as ugly as a broken brick and the missus has been telling me to kill it for the last 30 years.

Some years ago, in a house move, I acquired a gate leg extending oak table - the postwar Utility table IIRC.

We used if for a few years, until MiL passed on and we acquired hers, and the Utility table  has kept me in small bits of seasoned oak for a good few years since.  In fact, may have to go to a saleroom and get me another for a fiver.