Author Topic: Cherry tree advice please.  (Read 1611 times)

Cherry tree advice please.
« on: 01 May, 2010, 05:23:03 pm »
The one outside my house is the weediest in the street and I'm wondering if it's worth trying to feed it up on the wormery runoff.

I've googled unsuccessfully for how the roots grow on them as there's strip of turf that I could water if I knew where best to aim for. Or even if it's worthwhile doing? Thanks.

Re: Cherry tree advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2010, 09:29:02 pm »
Watering is not really an option unless you're prepared to put vast amounts down regularly.  A mulch of something nutritious might help, but it could be just a weedy specimen.

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2010, 09:55:04 pm »
I've got the runt of the street obviously, I'm new here, it's noticeably smaller and has less buds than the others.
Just wishful thinking then?

I'm no horticulturist and just remember being told that tomato roots are split into two types and each is better at taking up either water or nutrients. So totally irrelevant really.

Edit: I can see plenty of big roots which grow almost horizontally under the turf, some are very big in proportion to the tree, which is what got me thinking along the different roots for different uptakes line.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2010, 08:27:38 am »
Tree roots generally spread about as far as the crown.  How old is the tree?  Cherries don't live all that long - maybe 40 years.  Eventually they split under their own weight (the reason yew trees live so long is thought to be because they are one of very few trees that are tolerant to splitting).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2010, 09:51:13 am »
I don't know the age of the trees, the rest are as high as the guttering on the houses, mine a bit smaller. They're not young ones.