Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 436856 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1525 on: 18 January, 2016, 04:03:21 pm »
I ran the Country to Capital yesterday (68km). Very cold early on, although that's not so much of a factor when you're running and did at least mean that the muddy bits were fairly solid. Nice and bright and sunny and some wonderful frosty views over the Chiltern hills. We did encounter some icy patches on the lanes we crossed, but just walked those.

I was going pretty well in good company down to where we joined the towpath on the Grand Union Canal just after Denham, and only started to struggle with dead quads and a sore stomach in the final 8km. Annoyingly my tracker failed soon after the start so my official finish time is just an estimate, I timed myself at 6:22:54, 39th overall and 4th M50. Stairs are a bit of a problem today but it looks as though I don't have any major tweaks or creaks so the build for London Marathon can start in earnest soon.

Nice one  :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1526 on: 18 January, 2016, 08:19:53 pm »
I ran the Country to Capital yesterday (68km). Very cold early on, although that's not so much of a factor when you're running and did at least mean that the muddy bits were fairly solid. Nice and bright and sunny and some wonderful frosty views over the Chiltern hills. We did encounter some icy patches on the lanes we crossed, but just walked those.

I was going pretty well in good company down to where we joined the towpath on the Grand Union Canal just after Denham, and only started to struggle with dead quads and a sore stomach in the final 8km. Annoyingly my tracker failed soon after the start so my official finish time is just an estimate, I timed myself at 6:22:54, 39th overall and 4th M50. Stairs are a bit of a problem today but it looks as though I don't have any major tweaks or creaks so the build for London Marathon can start in earnest soon.

Well done indeed.

Given you're coming down in distance is time for some speed work:)

Really impressive run - from another v50.

My coaching charge managed to complete her 'normal weekly mileage' last weekend. Hope able to do the hard stuff this week...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1527 on: 04 March, 2016, 06:30:31 pm »
Cycling has been dire recently due to too much business travel, but did manage to run from the Stucki Hotel to Germany over Sankt Chriscrona on Wednesday night, 19km, 280m ascent 1hr 34 min, which was 4 mins faster than the same route in October.   The driving sleet at the top was entertaining.  V pleased given it was the first proper run of the year.  Back to Basel again so may try to get to Gempen on Monday night as I'd prefer to run on potentially snowy roads rather than cycle.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1528 on: 05 March, 2016, 01:41:54 pm »
Don't know if anyone is interested, but I have an entry for the Coniston 14 on 19 March that I will be unable to attend.

Free to anyone who wishes to compete as a V50 and promises not to winner my name (accidentally picked up  that T-shirt when I was 28 and it's not a little embarrassing)

Mike

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1529 on: 08 March, 2016, 09:25:57 pm »
Gempen was a no go last night because of snow, didn't fancy battling sliding cars.  So ran along the Weise to Lorrach and back instead this morning.  So an international cross country run before breakfast.  :smug:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1530 on: 27 March, 2016, 09:21:31 pm »
Lost my Pangbourne Parents' title in the week, but the runner that beat me is in the England age group cross country squad.  I thought that, when he let the front group he looked like a useful runner and I made the wise decision not to keep up with him.

Had consolation today by finding a new route from the caravan in Selsey that only had about 3 miles of tarmac in 16.5.  The 2.5 miles on shingle from east of Bracklesham to Wittering was a proper test of strength.  The merry lad with a bottle of Woodpecker Cider cheered me on from the top of the shingle bank.  The footpaths inland were very well way marked, completely unlike those around Basingstoke.  It was a bit eerie running past a several acre greenhouse full of lettuces being grown for planting out, that will be a good proportion of the salads that end up in British supermarkets later in the spring, courtesy of Natures Way Foods.

The last two miles were hard, mostly into the wind, and although my cadence remained fine, I could feel the stride shortening, but I was back exactly on my target time of 2 hours 15 minutes, so I might well have a go at something like the Clarendon Marathon in the autumn.

« Reply #1531 on: 01 April, 2016, 08:47:28 am »
I went for a run for the first time in over a decade at the weekend... and really enjoyed it!

I've never run seriously before but stopped all high impact knee activities around 7 years ago, so no more football, squash or badminton. 

In the meantime I've learnt to better manage my knees and the muscles are certainly a lot stronger than they were because of the amount of cycling I do.  I'm hopefully that this won't mean knee pain returns as I increase running frequency.

I've decided to stick to trail running too, my theory being it should a) be kinder to my knees, and b) develop more muscle groups due to the uneven nature of the surface.

I live on the edge of the Peak District so I'm really spoilt for choice for trails to run.
Up the hills and round the bends

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1532 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:56:17 pm »
Almost enjoying my running training as much as cycling at the moment.  Had 90 minutes while CET Junior 2 was at his trampolining training so headed for a 11.5 mile route to the east of Alton.  I set off in balmy 5C and it started raining, the sort of rain that can find its way into any nook and cranny in cycling waterproofs.  In running shorts I just got wet.  The St Swithun's Way was muddy and the rain freshened up the mud so that anything uphill was distinctly slithery and downhill was interesting. 

I passed Rawles Motorsport, where they restore Austin Healeys, and got a hello from a couple of the guys working there, as well as a glimpse of some cars well beyond my means, then it was into the hill sections, three short steep climbs, the last of which is on tarmac and I know from cycling where I require the granny ring unless I am going really well.  The rain got heavier.  Running into Well from the east a couple of guys on bikes passed me and we had a bit of a chat.  I felt like I was going well and followed them into the top of Quarry Lane before turning off into Frog Lane.  This followed the clay-with-flints layer on top of the chalk and had become a stream bed with a surface of flinty pebbles. 

Further on there were various arrows which I guessed marked out different routes for Lord Wandsworth college cross-country routes.  Trampled detours had been made around several deep waterholes.  Then it was onto the main tarmac section from Sutton Common over the top of the downs towards Golden Pot.  As I was running along I heard familiar voices.  It was the two cyclists, who had dropped down Quarry Lane and presumably laboured up the hill from Lower Froyle.  It spurred me along the last of the tarmac section.  Unfortunately the next track had been four-wheel-driven and so would have been virtually impassable if I'd cared about getting my feet wet.  My hamstrings were starting to tighten so I just ploughed through the mud and water.  The next footpath was even worse, they'd set up a smart paddock which just drained onto the footpath, which had become a quagmire.  After that it was just hard and gloopy, with a difficult descent down the scarp of the downs back to Alton.  92 minutes for 11.6 miles felt like good going in conditions that were enough to have called off the horse racing at Newbury even before the recent rain.  Having said that it would have been miserable on the bike.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1533 on: 24 April, 2016, 01:30:32 pm »
Great run by Oranj today with 3:03:50  :thumbsup: That's entry for 2017 sorted.

I'm hardly doing any running (because of touring so not a bad reason!) but I'm still sad not to be doing London marathon today. Instead I've done some international ParkRun events which has been good fun. I'll be able to enter London 2017 with my marathon time from 2015, so I'll see Oranj on the start line!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1534 on: 27 April, 2016, 09:46:52 pm »
No running for me at the moment, achilles tendonitis recurrence  >:(
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1535 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:24:45 pm »
Going in the ballot for VLM 2017  :thumbsup:  I've only got a 3:23 to show for the one marathon that I've done, but I think under 3 is achievable if I have a good run of it.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1536 on: 14 May, 2016, 05:16:44 am »
I did my ParkRun this morning in Grafton  :thumbsup:  But I missed the course record by a few seconds :(
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #1537 on: 14 May, 2016, 11:37:24 am »
Early this morning, before getting up for our parkrun, I was trying to work out how you'd managed to finish yours by 5.15 am.
Then I remembered your in Oz!
Congratulations!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #1538 on: 14 May, 2016, 12:32:20 pm »
Congrats!

I missed my parkrun PB by 1 second this morning ...... on a day when I really didn't feel like doing it when I woke up. Go figure .... ???
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1539 on: 14 May, 2016, 01:38:57 pm »
  But I missed the course record by a few seconds :(
No prize for that!    ;D

Went out on the bike this morning @0930. I wasnt thinking about the time, and complettely forgot about parkrun ... whose course I cross about 100m after setting out  :facepalm:

Luckily its about 4.7km in, and the backmarkers were pretty spread out. No incident to report <wipes brow>

[still too injured to be running 5km currently :( ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1540 on: 14 May, 2016, 02:02:10 pm »
My time is now in (after it looked as if the parkrun website was taking a hammering; 503 errors all over the place).
Best time this year. In fact, best time since June last year. So feeling pretty happy about that.  :smug:
Shame I'll miss the next two weeks.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1541 on: 21 May, 2016, 02:07:18 am »
I did Varsity Lakes ParkRun this morning and it happened to be their 3rd anniversary run, which meant bonus cake at 7.30am :thumbsup:. (The runs here start at 7am to avoid the heat.)

« Reply #1542 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:14:16 pm »
I'm not a runner. I'm not built for running. Audax is easy even when carrying a bit of extra weight.

But somehow I've got in to running over the last couple of years.

I started off with a BMI of 29.

A few runs around the neighbourhood became a parkrun.
A few parkruns became bigger and bigger loops.
The loops became a partial commute (finished off by Boris bike).
The partial commutes became a full run commute (11.5k).
The full run commute became an extended run commute.
The long runs got longer.
The extended run commute became a half marathon extended commute.
The training runs got longer and training became more structured (one long run, one interval session, one tempo run, recovery/easy runs).

At one point I found myself doing 3 laps of Richmond Park. Without a bike. (It's 35km if you go round the outside of the Tamsin trail). Hmm. Ouch.

Suddenly I was at the start line of the Brighton Marathon (still with a BMI of 28, who says running is good for weight loss).

All went well until somewhere between mile 18 and mile 19 at which point my legs had had enough. 4:29:59 went out of the window and I jogged/walked the rest (including that soulless section out past the power station) and finished in 5h07.

But, I was happy and it certainly wasn't a "one and done" feeling at the end, handy as I've got Ironman Wales in 4 months' time.

I'm just coming out of my post marathon dip and a recent 2:06:24 in a local HM (including some fine muddy hilly trails round the back of Wimbledon Common) has me back plodding along. I should hopefully get that down to 1h55 by September which puts me on track for a sub-4h marathon (and therefore a 5h marathon at the end of an Ironman), just need to put the miles in.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1543 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:02:03 pm »
Up to 5km at the moment on my latest Achilles tendonitis recovery
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1544 on: 28 May, 2016, 03:22:47 am »
We've now been in Australia for ten Saturdays and I've managed to fit in nine ParkRuns. Today was South Bank in Brisbane that ran along the river. It was a good course, massive field (450 runners) and some bonus steps on and off a bridge.

Next up is west coast North America where the only ParkRun is San Francisco. I'll have to find some other events to keep my occupied.

« Reply #1545 on: 01 June, 2016, 02:36:50 pm »
Global Running Day!

(And I'm off on the bike to go to the swimming pool. Bad scheduling...)

« Reply #1546 on: 03 August, 2016, 02:00:14 pm »
It's all gone quiet on here . . .

I'm improving. I've given up on trying to go for a jog when I get home. Too often MrsC would say "Dinner's ready", or "I have no idea what is for dinner" (which is code for "You had better get in the kitchen and start cooking").
So I'm a lunchtime at work jogger. I can fit in a 20ish jog, a shower and still have time to eat.

Gone from doing 3km at about 6min 30s pace to today managing 4.2km at 5min 18s - the latter pace being my old reasonable longish distance pace back when I was in my 30s. If I can do 4km in 20min I'll be pleased - that is my target to achieve by Sept.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1547 on: 06 October, 2016, 04:56:23 pm »
Hot on using the home rower for the first time last night, got out on my first run outside since May (courtesy of brusing my sacrum at the start of the Tan Hill 600 walking to my bike).  Shortened a previous route to 4.4 miles of which 3.5 are off road.  Went surprisingly quickly but that might be having spent two weeks stuck in Sao Paulo with a national series 800m runner to put my running efforts into place and encourage discipline in gym sessions.  New trail running shoes worked fine.

Curiously - the footpaths in this 'vital open space' that the nimbys don't want anyone to build on aren't heavily used - so am currently seeking research on whether nettle stings aid performance.

« Reply #1548 on: 11 October, 2016, 03:15:50 pm »
VLM ballot outcome available online sneakily.

Hit the unsubscribe button from any of the emails you've had from London Marathon and look at the lists you're subscribed to.

If you see "VMLM 2017 unsuccessful notification" then guess the outcome...

No VLM ballot place for me but I've already got a Brighton place so I'll be focusing on that and trying to get the weight down this time.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1549 on: 15 October, 2016, 08:16:09 pm »
Now we're back in the UK it's time to think about getting run fit ready for VLM 2017. I've now done two ParkRuns & have pencilled into the diary a list of half marathons for spring 2017.