Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 421702 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2075 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:19:19 am »
Wasn't as pleasant this morning with the clocks changing. 6am BST was a lot darker then GMT had been

« Reply #2076 on: 30 March, 2020, 05:02:28 pm »
One of the usual 5k routes today. Time down a bit and HRavg down a bit. Dodged the rain.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2077 on: 01 April, 2020, 07:07:30 am »
CV5 today, numbering my return to running during what's going on. Chuffing cold - 3 when I got home but the sun was coming up and everything was crisp and quiet apart from when I took to the road to overtake someone walking and the runners coming the other way had to cross the road. That was all three people I saw in one go. Probably saw two moving cars and around 50 rabbits.... Now where are my snares

« Reply #2078 on: 01 April, 2020, 08:55:07 am »
I've found a nice loop from home, 4km off-road, 2km on road. Running on rutted, hummocky ground is so much harder than the road - but oddly it doesn't bother my damaged hip as much as road running. Maybe it is the impact (although I run in super-cushioning Hokkas).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2079 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:50:19 am »
Been working from home for 3 weeks and have concluded my shoes have now done enough miles to warrant replacing for anything but speed work. Only 260 miles, but they are light - New Balance Zante Solas

The Inov-8 X-talon 190s are still fine

« Reply #2080 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:52:38 am »
I’ve also managed a couple of point to point 10 milers by hitching a lift with Sue, who has had to travel to look after vulnerable Mim (87 yo). A nice quiet off road run.

« Reply #2081 on: 02 April, 2020, 10:47:42 pm »
Just under 6 miles tonight in a new pair of Hoka Rincons. A fair bit softer and more resilient than the NB, but seem fine. They still feel a bit big at the heel though. I'm in two minds about big cushioned shoes, although the brand beginning with N show that they can be more faster than the difference between athletes...

I think the Rincons work on longer and slower/medium runs nicely. I'll work out if they've got speed covered later, but I've got some racier shoes on order too.

« Reply #2082 on: 03 April, 2020, 06:42:13 am »
Cv6 this morning. Went a bit further as wife's snoring woke me up a bit earlier. Had a little bit longer before I went out as well which seemed to help. A few cars and vans mostly being driven too fast, one dog walker, one guy litter picking I think and one guy on a bike who needs to give his bike some attention. Heard him coming long before he was passing me on the road

Davef

« Reply #2083 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:03:20 am »
Busy on my normal loop yesterday. No people though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #2084 on: 04 April, 2020, 07:00:30 pm »
12 miles very steady this afternoon. Mostly off road and some nice views.

Too many ‘Private - no entry’ signs around for my liking though. Gives a real impression that the estates continue to try and enclose land and keep out out the commoners today as for hundreds of years.

« Reply #2085 on: 04 April, 2020, 08:01:53 pm »
Pulled a hamstring last week during a sprint session  ::-) so taking a few days off.

Around here (fairly central London) there has been an explosion in running.  Literally 10 times the usual number.  Everytime I look out the window there are runners - mainly young, running singly, in couples or with young kids.  On the pavements and (traffic-free) roads and in those parks that are still open.

This is very unusual.  One of the lockdown by-products might be few hundred thousand new runners who may get the habit & will continue.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2086 on: 04 April, 2020, 08:33:19 pm »
Pulled a hamstring last week during a sprint session  ::-) so taking a few days off.

Around here (fairly central London) there has been an explosion in running.  Literally 10 times the usual number.  Everytime I look out the window there are runners - mainly young, running singly, in couples or with young kids.  On the pavements and (traffic-free) roads and in those parks that are still open.

This is very unusual.  One of the lockdown by-products might be few hundred thousand new runners who may get the habit & will continue.

Similar here in North Yorkshire. Lots more runners, many young. There aren’t so many out where I tend to go, but I like off road and away from it all. Hopefully they’ll stick with it a lower future diabetes and mortality rates.

« Reply #2087 on: 06 April, 2020, 08:10:21 am »
Been out this morning for my first run beyond 5k.  Allowed myself to take it easier than usual and all went to plan.  Very happy with that.

I notice that there are more early morning runners out now.  I wonder if the behaviour of a few less friendly scrotes locally towards runners has changed people's running times.

I will chase sunrise now until October.

« Reply #2088 on: 06 April, 2020, 12:28:02 pm »
Cv7 this morning. Had a bad night sleep and a couple of beers last night which I think contributed to it feeling really hard. Warm though and beautiful with sun coming up. Few people about, lots of rabbits a deer and a huge cat that I actually thought was a badger to start with.

« Reply #2089 on: 08 April, 2020, 06:58:04 am »
CV8 this morning and my first 5k run in years. Relatively warm although a bit of damp in the air. Saw guy with the badly maintained bike again but from where I saw him this time I suspect he may just be out for a ride as the two locations I've seen him in aren't a logical route to anywhere.

Also saw three deer, one jogger. One guy with a mug of tea and loads of rabbits. Did a extra little loop as Strava was showing 4.8km at the point I normally stop to walk the last little bit home

« Reply #2090 on: 08 April, 2020, 07:38:10 am »
Chasing the sunrise and the miles, I was out just before sunrise this morning.  Another 5.5km, another satisfying start to the day.

Looking forward to coffee and porridge before a shower and a special parcel all the way from Hong Kong...

« Reply #2091 on: 08 April, 2020, 08:02:27 am »
I have a regular 6km loop, 4km on hummocky grass and 2km on the road. Pancake flat (this is the fens). 
Felt fit yesterday, so pushed myself a little bit. Dropped average speed from 5 30 to 5 06 per km. Still slow for some people but a lot quicker for me. Main thing slowing me down is that my leg muscles aren't conditioned for running.

Can only manage 2 runs a week. Each one leaves my bad hip hurting for a couple of days. Shame, as I'm enjoying the running and would do more (and further) if I could.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2092 on: 08 April, 2020, 06:20:45 pm »
Chasing the sunrise and the miles, I was out just before sunrise this morning.  Another 5.5km, another satisfying start to the day.

Looking forward to coffee and porridge before a shower and a special parcel all the way from Hong Kong...

Really good to ‘see’ you getting out regularly. Hope you’re keeping safe and well?

« Reply #2093 on: 08 April, 2020, 06:21:27 pm »
I have a regular 6km loop, 4km on hummocky grass and 2km on the road. Pancake flat (this is the fens). 
Felt fit yesterday, so pushed myself a little bit. Dropped average speed from 5 30 to 5 06 per km. Still slow for some people but a lot quicker for me. Main thing slowing me down is that my leg muscles aren't conditioned for running.

Can only manage 2 runs a week. Each one leaves my bad hip hurting for a couple of days. Shame, as I'm enjoying the running and would do more (and further) if I could.

Even twice a week helps to stave off the cabin fever - right off for a run

« Reply #2094 on: 08 April, 2020, 06:33:10 pm »

Really good to ‘see’ you getting out regularly. Hope you’re keeping safe and well?

Very well thanks.  Yourself?

I'm into a routine now so I should be able to keep going provided that I avoid illness, injury or an attack of the lethargy.

My push for 10k seems far less daunting than getting back to 5k ever did.

« Reply #2095 on: 08 April, 2020, 06:37:20 pm »

The parcel arrived.  It is a Logitech webcam ordered from HK as things got sticky.  It cost 1/3 less than from a UK supplier, was actually in stock and was mis-labelled so I didn't get stung for import duty.

Not sure if my conscience can cope with the latter ...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2096 on: 09 April, 2020, 07:48:30 pm »
did a first 10-miler after more than a year. it's getting too hot to run, will only go out early mornings or evenings going forward. thames river was brimming today, water splashing on the thames path in places.

« Reply #2097 on: 10 April, 2020, 10:45:57 am »
After the BBC unhelpfully shared some information which is neither peer reviewed nor scientifically verified in any way claiming that runners should in fact social distance by at least 10 metres, I fear that the local chav loonies will inevitably target runners even more because of such unbelievable stupidity.

I may be being irrational but regardless, I got up at 5:15a.m. today and was at my local rec for 6:00a.m. for my run.  There were no other humans there but I shared the time with the sun slowly breaking through the line of trees on the east side and creeping it's fingers across the deserted football pitches and children's playground.  The usual snarl of engines and noxious belching of exhausts being replaced with the dawn chorus and clean, fresh air.

Just as I was finishing approximately 35 minutes later the first other person appeared, a dog emptier with a white terrier which seemed delighted at having so much space to bound and frolic in.

So, thanks Aunty for your David Icke moment of sheer stupid lunacy.  You did at least give me a wonderfully clean and empty space to enjoy whilst I push on in my quest to Bridge 2 10K.

« Reply #2098 on: 10 April, 2020, 10:51:57 am »
I missed that bit of stupidity, PB.  Where/when was it posted?  I may want to write a stiff email!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2099 on: 10 April, 2020, 11:04:52 am »
It was in the BBC's worship bozo daily thread yesterday evening.  I note that the Torygraph has it today too.  I cannot bring myself to read the Torygraph tripe.