Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1630306 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5475 on: 18 November, 2014, 07:28:03 pm »
How about 'bucket'?  Just make sure they top it up. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5476 on: 18 November, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »
"Unless you've started selling gallon buckets" is my stock response to "A pint?"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #5477 on: 19 November, 2014, 08:18:44 am »
My stock response is " If it holds a pint and doesn't leak, I couldn't care less what it looks like".

Which begs the question, why do some people get upset if their pint is served in the "wrong" glass? If you ordered a pint of Doom Bar and it comes in a glass with London Pride on it, does it make the beer taste different or summat ???
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5478 on: 19 November, 2014, 09:02:33 am »
It's perhaps more important with the varieties of Belgian and German beer glasses, though a lot of that is pretension.

I don't give a stuff if my drink is served in a glass with the 'wrong' logo on, but I'd much rather not have a logo at all.
Getting there...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #5479 on: 19 November, 2014, 09:11:50 am »
Ditto, but I would object if my beer was served in a glass that was for a Fullers product.  I've had a severe downer on Fullers since they bought our local brewery and closed it down, thus causing redundancies in the major employer in the poky townlet in question.  Then selling "Horndean special bitter", made in London with London-ish water, is just plain lying.  I'd been drinking that stuff since before I was legally able to, but I stopped the day they closed the brewery.  We did buy the last known case of Prize Old ale, though  ;D ;D (Yes, I know they still sell stuff called Prize Old Ale, but its not real...)
Wombat

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5480 on: 19 November, 2014, 09:15:49 am »
gigsandtours.com

Your site blows goats!

You set up a pre-sale, for a stadium tour of one of the largest selling rock bands around at the moment.

It starts at 09:00 today

By 09:00:01 the site is down!

GAH!

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5481 on: 19 November, 2014, 11:02:32 am »
My stock response is " If it holds a pint and doesn't leak, I couldn't care less what it looks like".

Which begs the question, why do some people get upset if their pint is served in the "wrong" glass? If you ordered a pint of Doom Bar and it comes in a glass with London Pride on it, does it make the beer taste different or summat ???

I reckon the publicans are wary of brewery spies who would give them stick for getting it wrong.

Back in my beer-drinking days I liked the old barrel glasses with a handle, but some people used to kick up shit to get it in a straight glass. "It tastes better". ???
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5482 on: 19 November, 2014, 11:03:18 am »
Damn. Came in here to grumble about something else and now I've forgotten what.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5483 on: 19 November, 2014, 12:26:24 pm »
Which idiot left his Cinnarazine at home?

I really can't be arsed wobbling to the chemist and lying to get them to give me travel sickeness pills, must be cinnarazine, honest I want them for travel sickeness not vestibular problems guv ('cause if I say they are for vestibular problems they are not allowed to give them to me without prescription, what a load of bollocks).

Guess I better shift myself and go to chemist.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5484 on: 19 November, 2014, 06:32:10 pm »
There are mice in our flat. :(

« Reply #5485 on: 20 November, 2014, 11:02:45 am »

About 15 years ago Wife and I go into a pub in Nth Wales. Pint and a half of bitter please I say. Barman pours the pint into a dimpled mug and then picks up some stupid tulip shaped thing for the half.

"Excuse me but can I have the half in a mug as well please?"

"I'm sorry sir, we don't serve ladies beer in mugs"

"The half's for me"

;D
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #5486 on: 21 November, 2014, 08:43:35 am »
My favourite brown suede boots are approaching the point of no return.  They need resoling & the colour is starting to fade. :-(
I ordered some leather dye to try & revive them but have just noticed some stitching is going as well...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5487 on: 22 November, 2014, 11:41:55 am »
When you have finished reading your book in the bath and place it atop the bog for safekeeping while you wash your hair, it is a good idea to ensure that the lid is closed first :(

For sale: The Fire Witness ~ "Lars Kepler". Paperback, 600pp, only slightly damp. £1 or exchange for clean F430 Spyder.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5488 on: 22 November, 2014, 12:07:29 pm »

Other than branding, some of the glasses are designed to affect the beer, for example narrowing at the top to increase the depth of the head, or scratches in the glass to ensure a steady stream of bubbles. I don't think one of those sorts of glasses would do any favours to a proper beer.

I reckon the publicans are wary of brewery spies who would give them stick for getting it wrong.

Back in my beer-drinking days I liked the old barrel glasses with a handle, but some people used to kick up shit to get it in a straight glass. "It tastes better". ???

Personally I prefer bitter in a "handle" and lager in a "glass", but that's probably just to do with the thickness of glass at the lip. However, it is a provable fact that things do taste different depending on what they're served in - there are repeatable experiments showing that hot chocolate tastes sweeter in one colour mug and more intense flavour in another.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5489 on: 22 November, 2014, 05:26:54 pm »
Dear people who make those those metal strips for Disciplining carpets in doorways!

Plz to not be making ur fixing screws out of Delice de Bourgogne.

kthxbai

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5490 on: 22 November, 2014, 06:14:44 pm »
Dear people who make those those metal strips for Disciplining carpets in doorways!

Plz to not be making ur fixing screws out of Delice de Bourgogne.

kthxbai

While we're on that subject . . .

Do not use drywall screws to affix said metal strippage to caberboard or similar. They exhibit a brittleness which surpasses all that is brittle even when made of brittle peanut brittle. 
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #5491 on: 23 November, 2014, 11:35:06 am »
Bad cat. Again. Her latest attempt at flight resulted in a nice tendon-deep gash on her back leg (the blood everywhere is another grumble). Now she's supposed to wear a collar to stop her picking at the stitches. That's not working out. Her attempts to remove said collar have included:

• pushing head into collection of wires behind computer before yowling and pulling everything out
  • pushing head into collection of wires behind TV before yowling and pulling everything out
  • wedging head between chair back and dining table and then flinging her body off the side before yowling loudly for rescue
  • running backwards around and around the living room / bed room / bathroom / hallway dragging said collar along walls and floors while yowling
  • attempting to reverse downstairs in the hope that the steps will pull it free with predictable bump bump bump yowl results
  • generally knocking everything over, she clambered on a kitchen counter and went through everything like a feline snow plough. While yowling

Anyway, she's going to kill herself so I took it off (according the German locum vet we saw yesterday that 'was very unauthorised') so now I'm supposed to sit around and supervise her otherwise I expect a knock on the door from the very stern teutonic vet. And no, cat, you're not going outside (the rain, at least, is conspiring to dissuade her). Also those collars. Seriously, the fastening, did anyone involved in the design of such thing contemplate that threading an awkward strip of plastic through several slots while holding a wriggly creature that is 90% bitey scratchy is a bit difficult? Surely some kind of stud fastening would have been a million times easier.

Also, in no particular order, I'm having to drink black coffee because my antibiotics are the 'no milk' ones and I don't like black coffee. I'd put in some almond milk but hey, it's full of calcium too. Three fucking weeks of dodging dairy twice a day. It's probably marginally better than fighting off the navigationally-challenged abdominal narwhal and the evil testicle imp and his pointy stick of pain.

In-laws, you wish to attend a concert in London on Tuesday night. Come and stay Tuesday night. Why do you need to arrive Monday morning (because you 'don't want to drive and go out on the same day')? You were here a week ago. Oh and wife, don't do the old 'well, I'll tell them not to come if you...' because you're as annoyed as I am.

Other cat. It's raining. I know. It's not something I can control so stop looking at me like it's my fault you won't go outside.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5492 on: 23 November, 2014, 01:15:07 pm »
My vet does internal stitches cats can't pick at. Tell your vet to do better sewing lessons.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5493 on: 23 November, 2014, 01:29:18 pm »
My vet does internal stitches cats can't pick at. Tell your vet to do better sewing lessons.

<Visions of Blue Peter sewing instructions: "And then turn it right sides out again">
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #5494 on: 23 November, 2014, 01:35:52 pm »

Because reasons. Something to do with exposed tendons and the size and unruly nature of the wound. She had to debride the edges and stuff and then pinch it all up. £300's worth of gruesome. Apparently had it gone deeper and through the tendon we'd likely have a tripod cat. And an unlucky cat paw keyfob.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5495 on: 23 November, 2014, 01:42:46 pm »
Dear lady, I have not an inkling of where 11 Compton Place is, because I am not your landlord.  So your leaking ceiling is of no interest to me.  If I was your landlord you'd know not to ring me up during the F1 championship decider.  And if you had half a brain you'd listen to the outgoing message on my answering machine before leaving a peevish message.  On it.

You are a doltard with the intellect of a pot of overcooked vermicelli.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5496 on: 23 November, 2014, 03:11:53 pm »

Because reasons. Something to do with exposed tendons and the size and unruly nature of the wound. She had to debride the edges and stuff and then pinch it all up. £300's worth of gruesome. Apparently had it gone deeper and through the tendon we'd likely have a tripod cat. And an unlucky cat paw keyfob.
Poor kitty.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5497 on: 23 November, 2014, 03:25:16 pm »
Bad cat. Again. Her latest attempt at flight resulted in a nice tendon-deep gash on her back leg (the blood everywhere is another grumble). Now she's supposed to wear a collar to stop her picking at the stitches. That's not working out. Her attempts to remove said collar have included:

• pushing head into collection of wires behind computer before yowling and pulling everything out
  • pushing head into collection of wires behind TV before yowling and pulling everything out
  • wedging head between chair back and dining table and then flinging her body off the side before yowling loudly for rescue
  • running backwards around and around the living room / bed room / bathroom / hallway dragging said collar along walls and floors while yowling
  • attempting to reverse downstairs in the hope that the steps will pull it free with predictable bump bump bump yowl results
  • generally knocking everything over, she clambered on a kitchen counter and went through everything like a feline snow plough. While yowling

Anyway, she's going to kill herself so I took it off (according the German locum vet we saw yesterday that 'was very unauthorised') so now I'm supposed to sit around and supervise her otherwise I expect a knock on the door from the very stern teutonic vet. And no, cat, you're not going outside (the rain, at least, is conspiring to dissuade her). Also those collars. Seriously, the fastening, did anyone involved in the design of such thing contemplate that threading an awkward strip of plastic through several slots while holding a wriggly creature that is 90% bitey scratchy is a bit difficult? Surely some kind of stud fastening would have been a million times easier.

Dogs are always howling
Cats are always yowling
But gibbons only like to sing and dance

You should get a gibbon.

ian

« Reply #5498 on: 23 November, 2014, 04:37:21 pm »

Poor kitty.

She's doesn't seem bothered other than having to go to the vets and (briefly) wear the collar of shame (I'm going to have nightmares with Teuton-vet yelling 'this is most unauthorised!' at me). Both cats regularly injure themselves in their hairbrained schemes (the other one once managed to nearly disembowel herself). I think this one an attempt to leap from the balcony down onto a tree stump in next door's garden like she was some kind of flying squirrel. She's probably building a glider in the attic as I write this.

On the subject of gibbons, our cats' mortal enemy is the GGMFC (that's the Giant Grey Monkey Faced Cat) which does look suspiciously like a baboon. I liked it better when all we had to contend with in the garden were the bears.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5499 on: 23 November, 2014, 05:20:34 pm »
It's perhaps more important with the varieties of Belgian and German beer glasses, though a lot of that is pretension.

I don't give a stuff if my drink is served in a glass with the 'wrong' logo on, but I'd much rather not have a logo at all.

Certain beers have a prestige prize and I have taken that price to include the vessel it comes in, especially if it is interesting.