Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1630548 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16800 on: 25 November, 2023, 04:08:51 pm »
Cats!  While it is a Good Thing that you are outside taking the crisp autumn air rather than moping around the Schloß trying to persuade me that it's time for MOAR cat fud I need to go out.  Get your act together, you furry hellspawn :demon:
Me thinks you protesteth too much Mr L. I think you are rather enjoying your spell of cat sitting.  :demon:

Inasmuch as it means I haven’t yet turned the heating on in Larrington Towers.  Also Sleepy Sussex appears to have no need for those new-fangled police helichopters…

Louisifer, though, is a bloody nuisance when he gets it into his stupid great stupid fat stupid head that it’s dinner time.  Which starts immediately after lunchtime and goes on until bedtime.  And he's just picked a fight with a rug.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16801 on: 26 November, 2023, 09:10:40 am »
CSI: Hastings investigation exonerates cats from sound of Things falling from Great Height onto floor of room above my head; finger of blame pointing squarely at Gravity pulling shelf out of wall, hurling Stuffs to the floor and breaking Miss von Brandenburg's small glass octopus  :'(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16802 on: 26 November, 2023, 10:54:37 am »
Hah!  Back before we were married we bought MrsT's mum a small glass octopus. She showed it to her execrable Boston Terrorist, which immediately leapt at it and knocked it out of her hands, naturally breaking bits off.  We were then compelled to crawl round retrieving small lobster-red bits of glass in case the wretched animal ate one and croaked.

I think that was the only dog I ever detested, and it was only like that because she teased the life out of it. It was eventually put down for biting too many people.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16803 on: 26 November, 2023, 11:09:37 am »
Octopus appears possibly not irreparable.  Other b0rked Stuffs possibly less so..

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16804 on: 26 November, 2023, 02:18:23 pm »
As excuses go, ‘I wasn’t in The room at the time’ sounds a bit weak, even if it is true.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16805 on: 26 November, 2023, 04:17:12 pm »
I was asleep.  Well, half-asleep.  The alarm was snoozing while I put off giving the cats their brekkie.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #16806 on: 26 November, 2023, 05:48:49 pm »
Your fault then, for forcing them to take measures to punish you for not feeding them on time!  Insufficiently experienced cat-wrangler...
Wombat

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16807 on: 26 November, 2023, 05:54:09 pm »
Was it just gravity, or did the cats give it a helping hand to fall off the wall?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16808 on: 26 November, 2023, 07:31:14 pm »
Just gravity, on account of the door being closed with the cats on the opposite side.  Of it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16809 on: 26 November, 2023, 09:03:13 pm »
Having had a chance to consider this, it is quite plain to me that Charlie the builder is to blame. Had he not been on the estate with his hammer wielding minions, the fabrics of the building would not have been disturbed enough to reject the fixing responsible for holding back the effects of gravity being exerted upon the glass octopus.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16810 on: 26 November, 2023, 10:09:29 pm »
I shall put this to Charlie the Builder tomorrow but he'll probably hit me with his hammer* while the cats point and laugh.

* Lie

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16811 on: 27 November, 2023, 06:24:43 pm »
It's been getting more bolshy over the last few weeks but this weekend we were unable to lock or unlock the new garage doors from the outside.
So today I messaged the guy that supplied and fitted it and he said "I'll be in touch before Xmas"  >:( Oh really.
Think I'll be watching the installation videos and seeing if I can adjust it myself then.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16812 on: 27 November, 2023, 06:29:22 pm »
Let him know that you’ll be holding him liable for any thefts from the unlockable garage until he comes and fixes it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16813 on: 28 November, 2023, 02:43:53 pm »
Was it cold when I went out yesterday evening at seven o'clock? Yes it was. Did I put my gloves on? Yes I did. Was it even colder when I came home two hours later? Yes it was. Did I put my gloves on again? No I did not. So did I ride home with bare hands? Yes I did. Did my hands get cold? Yes they did. Fortunately it's only a ten minute ride. But why did I not put my gloves on for the ride home? Because I could not find them.  :( I think I must have left them on the bike. Or dropped them somewhere. Anyway, I have other gloves at home, so it's not the end of the word nor even of warm fingers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16814 on: 28 November, 2023, 04:54:06 pm »
Quote from: Cudzoziemiec
But why did I not put my gloves on for the ride home? Because I could not find them. 
Umm. Have you checked your jersey pockets?  I only ask because err, um a friend of mine did something similar once and when he took his jersey off at home he found that they'd been keeping his kidneys rather than his hands warm.  He was quite pleased though, cos it meant he hadn't lost them.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #16815 on: 28 November, 2023, 05:29:51 pm »
I lost one glove for months till I found it had velcro-ed itself inside my jacket.
At least I had kept the other one....

« Reply #16816 on: 28 November, 2023, 10:22:49 pm »
I like Viyella shirts.  They are well made, last a long time & fit nicely.  I've a wardrobe full of them in various shades of check....

Recently I bought one in plain blue, with a herringbone weave & double cuffs so I can wear my snazzy cufflinks.  Supposed to be the same size as my others (17 1/2).  I wore it for the first time tonight.  It's OK at the chest & neck, but is Too Damn Short in the body.  It feels like it wants to escape from my trousers & expose my hairy midriff to the world....  :jurek:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #16817 on: 28 November, 2023, 10:51:38 pm »
Recently I bought one in plain blue, with a herringbone weave & double cuffs so I can wear my snazzy cufflinks.  Supposed to be the same size as my others (17 1/2).  I wore it for the first time tonight.  It's OK at the chest & neck, but is Too Damn Short in the body.  It feels like it wants to escape from my trousers & expose my hairy midriff to the world....  :jurek:

You need to do what professional dancers do, sew it to your pants.

« Reply #16818 on: 28 November, 2023, 11:42:20 pm »

You need to do what professional dancers do, sew it to your pants.

That sounds painful….. :jurek:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #16819 on: 29 November, 2023, 08:11:48 am »
I like Viyella shirts.  They are well made, last a long time & fit nicely.  I've a wardrobe full of them in various shades of check....

Braces FTW
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16820 on: 29 November, 2023, 08:58:28 am »

I hear you. I have the body of a 6-footer and the legs of a 5-footer. Back when shirts still had tails that wasn't a problem, but in recent years manufacturers have been making them shorter and shorter.

I just found a site where they make them to measure for a mere 60€...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16821 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:08:28 am »
Quote from: Cudzoziemiec
But why did I not put my gloves on for the ride home? Because I could not find them. 
Umm. Have you checked your jersey pockets?  I only ask because err, um a friend of mine did something similar once and when he took his jersey off at home he found that they'd been keeping his kidneys rather than his hands warm.  He was quite pleased though, cos it meant he hadn't lost them.
Alas, as I was not wearing a cycling jersey (ten-fifteen minute ride each way with two hours of civilianizing in the middle), no such pockets to check. But I did check all those I had, and my pannier, and all sorts of other conceivable and inconceivable places. Last night, wearing my supposedly less warm gloves, I didn't actually feel any colder, though I did realize that it's good for cycling gloves to be long in the cuff.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16822 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:32:57 am »

Shirt stays are what you need. Or to find a new brand of shirt that's less stingy on material. Or do what I do - polo shirts and fleeces.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16823 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:40:32 pm »
After fixing the upstairs chodbin three weeks ago, the downstairs one is leaking from the inlet valve seal (bottom-entry cistern).  Redundancy is definitely a good thing in toilets.  These are both age-related failures, as neither have been disturbed in my almost 10 years here.

Siphoned and dried out, and new valve kit ordered from Screwfix.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16824 on: 30 November, 2023, 12:22:09 am »
I have an horble suspicion that the least accessible light bulb in the whole of Larrington Towers is about to die >:(