Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87290 times)

Re: Beer!
« Reply #700 on: 08 June, 2019, 07:33:12 pm »
Black Sheep 54deg North small batch lager.

This stuff is really good !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #701 on: 25 June, 2019, 10:35:35 pm »
Nothing yet, but Untapped just introduced me to a whole stack of excellent looking pubs just in Prenzlauer Berg in Berlin that I didn't know existed, including a Helsinki brewery tap.
We're going this weekend. The problem is there are too many good bars to investigate.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #702 on: 05 July, 2019, 09:19:13 pm »
Prenzlauer Berg is Berlin's hipster central these days. It's pretty cool and I have the beard.

Beer. I forgot beer. A horrid oversight. I was going to go to Ghost Whale on the way home, but I wasn't thinking and went another way. I mean, we have lots of the beer but it's all in my wife's don't-drink-that-when-I'm-not-here category and she's not here. Basically, I have to drink the stuff I think she won't notice and risk the wrath. Or go out tomorrow and replace it before she gets back.

I found a couple of cans of Dead Pony as a temporary restorative while I work up my bravery. There's Bible Belt in the fridge... oh heavenly temptation.

« Reply #703 on: 24 July, 2019, 07:16:27 pm »
In this awful weather here is a Publick Service Announcement.    My local Co-op is selling Moorhouse Pendle Witches Brew at £1 for a 500ml bottle.  Yours may be doing similar.  It's not the best beer you'll ever drink, but it's perfectly quaffable, especially at half price.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/109/340/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #704 on: 16 August, 2019, 12:40:28 pm »
Went to the local good pub yesterday, The Albion in Kingston. Its bloody great. I don't know what breweries the beers I had were from but I bloody loved the cherry/blackcurrant sour and the raspberry wheat beer was astounding. And they do amazing burgers too. If you live in the area, go there!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #705 on: 28 August, 2019, 07:02:14 pm »
So. I have a confession.
With all this hot weather I’ve found myself reaching for the lager when I’ve gone to the off license. This is a worrying development.
Therefore in order to salvage some of my northern bearded sandal wearing credibility I feel I need to find some craft brewed lager. Please add your suggestions below.
Thank you.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #706 on: 28 August, 2019, 08:32:04 pm »
Cloudwater/Beavertown Good Night, Future Boy! (any of the Cloudwater lagers, you probably won't get this one because I drank it all, every single bottle)
Arbor Mega Mega White Thing
Lost and Grounded Keller Pils.

Any of the dry-hopped lagers have a bit more omph.

I don't mind a lager but I still find them hit and miss, it's a style that's hard to do well and not end up with something that's only good because the mass-produced competition is so bad and you might as well have plumped for a cheaper bottle of Budvar or Pilsner Urquell.

These days, for top refreshment, I mostly prefer a session IPA – there's a load but you can't go wrong with Magic Rock's Sourcery or Burning Sky's Arise. Wild Beer's Bibble and Fresh are also eminently drinkable and wildly available. Brewdog's Dead Pony Club, also – though I've never much rated their lagers.

« Reply #707 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:14:56 pm »
Vocation Pride and Joy too. Available in Morrisons ffs. I still cant quite believe that.

I'm on La Chouffe tonight after going into a french supermarket looking for rose jam as requested by my beloved but coming out with a fine selection of Belgian beers for me instead.

One current and one former yacf member will remember an evening in Amsterdam in 2008 when much La Chouffe was consumed under the assumption that it would be a standard 4 to 5 %. A mistake one only makes several times.

I have vague memories of earning a La Chouffe keyring for over-consumption.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #708 on: 06 September, 2019, 04:20:15 pm »
It is astonishing no one fell in a canal.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #709 on: 06 September, 2019, 06:04:15 pm »
Omnipollo Aniara Sour might be £5 for a third of a pint but goodness it's tasty.

And now a pint of Cloudwater Pale which is also tasty if somewhat less robust.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #710 on: 06 September, 2019, 07:29:08 pm »
I tried the low alcohol version of old speckled hen last night. It's vile.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

ian

« Reply #711 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:59:05 pm »
Vocation Pride and Joy too. Available in Morrisons ffs. I still cant quite believe that.

I'm on La Chouffe tonight after going into a french supermarket looking for rose jam as requested by my beloved but coming out with a fine selection of Belgian beers for me instead.

One current and one former yacf member will remember an evening in Amsterdam in 2008 when much La Chouffe was consumed under the assumption that it would be a standard 4 to 5 %. A mistake one only makes several times.

I have vague memories of earning a La Chouffe keyring for over-consumption.

Vocations Heart & Soul is scrummy too. We liberated a pile of cans from a Coop at the end of our South Downs walk at the weekend and made merry on the train home from Eastbourne.

As for Le Chouffle strength brew, I remember (barely) the time we rolled up at a little restaurant in Shepherdstown, WV and for some reason they had an entire large keg of Chimay Blue which they were serving by the 16oz glass. Well, when in West Virginia. There's a Bavarian theme hotel there. Honestly, that shit was real before we hit the Chimay.

Then there was the time in Nashville when we discovered a beer called Golden Monkey. Should have checked the ABV on that one. I ended up in an Uber with two burlesque dancers and a man called Dan who had apparently misplaced his guitar somewhere in Tennessee. He couldn't be more precise than that.

And let's not do Pliny the Elder in Monks Cafe, Philadelphia. I've said that lots of times now. We shouldn't get on to Belgish war stories.

In the alternative spirit of low ABV semi-sobriety, I'm drinking a 2.8% micro-IPA, Gipsy Hill's Carver and it really is rather good.

« Reply #712 on: 06 September, 2019, 11:44:54 pm »
Ian, have you been to Bottle Grove in Eastbourne? It's worth checking out.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #713 on: 07 September, 2019, 10:29:34 am »
Alas no, I don't really know Eastbourne, though it looks like it would have been a good find. As it was, we staggered down from the Downs, found sustainables in the Coop and a train fortuitously preparing to leave for London. That seems to be our usual, though we did the back route through Jevington this time, not all seven sisters and their mean aunt.

« Reply #714 on: 08 September, 2019, 09:44:41 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #715 on: 27 September, 2019, 10:25:41 pm »
Waitrose are doing a special election of craft beer (Wild, Fourpure, Fierce, Gipsy Hill, Magic Rock, and a few others). I bought it all. Are you having a party? remarked the young lady behind the till when confronted by a trolley entirely full of beer and a singular tub of cream cheese.

I think it was the cream cheese that gave the game away.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #716 on: 27 September, 2019, 10:54:54 pm »
Tomorrow night we have tixs to the Cantillion Zwanze night at 6 degrees North.
Not used to drinking in the evening. Should be a good selection of beers though.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #717 on: 01 October, 2019, 08:00:33 pm »
In Geeraardsbergen this week. 

CAn't remember what I drank yesterday, but this evening a Spartan Dark and now tucking into an Achel Trappist. 

Just testing you see, to decide what comes home with me on the eurostar
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #718 on: 01 October, 2019, 08:48:28 pm »
We went to Bewdley the other week and popped into the brewery. The tap wasn't open so we came away with a few bottles. They've all been jolly good but I've just opened their Decennium. This is a bit special. A 10 percenter. Really nice. I could drink too much of this if I had more than the one bottle.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #719 on: 01 October, 2019, 09:52:25 pm »
This is what we got on Zwanze Day
2019-10-01_09-50-50 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ElyDave

« Reply #720 on: 03 October, 2019, 07:44:46 pm »
This evening, an Orval and now following that with a Trappist Rochefort 10o. It's rather rich, but here in Belgium very cheap

ian

« Reply #721 on: 03 October, 2019, 09:11:15 pm »
This is what we got on Zwanze Day
2019-10-01_09-50-50 by The Pingus, on Flickr

The Alvinne stuff is pretty good, I had a selection the last time I was in Philadelphia. It went part of the way towards explaining my $130 bar tab.

ElyDave

« Reply #722 on: 06 October, 2019, 08:01:03 pm »
a cherry lambic this evening, liberated last week.  juicy.

ian

« Reply #723 on: 25 November, 2019, 10:14:07 pm »
I'm just putting it here, but I had a couple of Lickinghole Creek beers at the weekend.

« Reply #724 on: 26 November, 2019, 12:42:36 pm »
You're just trying to get us to Google that, aren't you?

I'm currently drinking a pint of Beowulf Dark Raven, and very nice it is too.