Linked Events

• Bryan Chapman Memorial 600km BRM | 18th May 2024 | Chepstow: 18 May, 2024 - 19 May, 2024

Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 600km BRM + others | 17/18/19th May 2024 | Chepstow  (Read 29783 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600km BRM | 20th May 2023 | Chepstow
« Reply #100 on: 18 May, 2023, 08:41:23 pm »
(Sorry, nothing to do with London:)
I see the official route back to Kings cuts off "Level Crossing corner" by going over a funking great hill.
The BCM Classic went the Long Way*; I'm inclined to do the same, with tired legs and sleep head!
Is that silly?

*i.e. thru Phenrincannotbespelled.

That route has been explored by Dave Lewis, me, and others.  It is substantially slower.

I'm struggling to keep up at the back. By That route, are you saying the longer route or the hillier route is the slower one?

« Reply #101 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:11:11 pm »
I see the official route back to Kings cuts off "Level Crossing corner" by going over a funking great hill.
The BCM Classic went the Long Way*; I'm inclined to do the same, with tired legs and sleep head!
Is that silly?

That route has been explored by Dave Lewis, me, and others.  It is substantially slower.

I'm struggling to keep up at the back. By That route, are you saying the longer route or the hillier route is the slower one?

In my experience they are about the same time wise though I can't compare on the same event.

2015 it took me 23 mins the longer way with an overall moving av for the whole route of 23kph. 2 weeks ago it took Banksy 25 mins on the hillier route with an overall av for the whole route of 21.5kph.

If you do the longer watch out for the dodgy oblique poorly marked level crossing in the dark when you are tired round a bend just as you start to descend. Why I've excluded it in that direction.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #102 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:20:32 pm »
The traditional Penrhyndeudraeth route is 2.5km longer, the revised route adds 100m of climb.

Take your pick, time wise probably not much in it. those additional kms will take at least 6 minutes, 100m of climb probably costs about the same, but then much faster on the long downhill.

However, there is a spar shop in Penrhyn~ that is open until 11, likely the last open shop until Newtown for many people. If I got to the junction after 11, I would definitely go over the hill. If I got there before 11 and wanted to buy snacks for the 66km from Aberdyfi to Newtown then I would accept the longer route and the time lost.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #103 on: 18 May, 2023, 11:00:33 pm »
According to Google Maps the McDonald's in Newton opens 24h on Saturday and from 5am to 11pm on Sunday.
That is interesting. as long as they are properly open, and not only open for selling to people in cars.
Having spent last Sunday early morning (0152-0438) inside the Newtown McDs, they stay fully open all Saturday night ie all the dark hours, inside and 'drive thru'. The staff kindly came round about 0230 to warn us to expect a swarm of merry people (they called them 'drunks') to descend about 0300 and to think about our bikes. And the rabble duly arrived.
The staff were great.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #105 on: 19 May, 2023, 09:30:37 am »
(...)

I'm planning to sleep at Aberdyfi.

#1: What kind of sleeping facilities will be available there?
#2: Do I have to bring my own mattress ? 
#3: Do I have to bring my own duvet and sheet?
#4: Will be there showering available? If not can I use a tap in the garden to take a shower?
Thanks for the answer.

See email subject "ACB | Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 | Bags, Bag Drops & Sleeping Arrangements"

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #107 on: 19 May, 2023, 10:39:39 am »
Don't forget the suncream

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcm8dtd3q#?date=2023-05-20

Wow. I'm still going to bring my waterproof!
of course, always bring both to any ride in Wales. and not just because a waterproof is a lightweight extra layer for keeping warm at night.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #108 on: 19 May, 2023, 11:25:09 am »
. 2 weeks ago it took Banksy 25 mins on the hillier route with an overall av for the whole route of 21.5kph.
It was a pig of a climb but you also have to go uphill into the village with the long name on the longer route, I was cursing at the time but I guess it was made up for by the directness. I was on gears but for those on fixed I'd take the longer route.

« Reply #109 on: 19 May, 2023, 02:50:20 pm »
At the left turn in Garreg, before the aforementioned climb, there's apparently a little shop open until 10pm.

After checking streetview, it looks like some audaxers outside  ;D ;D

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9541485,-4.066746,3a,75y,50.73h,79.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sE2GEJOxCc5-7hQIfnrOcuQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

« Reply #110 on: 19 May, 2023, 05:49:33 pm »
Update sent about bags, bag drops and sleeping arrangement - check your email.

Hi Will,

"Showers:I'll update at the start if Aberdyfi's local football club can open theirs"

Any news about this? I'll pack my drop off bags differently based on this option is available or not. Knowing it at the start is too late.
Thanks.

« Reply #111 on: 19 May, 2023, 05:52:34 pm »
(...)See email subject "ACB | Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 | Bags, Bag Drops & Sleeping Arrangements"(...)

I've asked that at 7:58pm, email about this arrived at 9:54pm. Thanks.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #112 on: 19 May, 2023, 08:54:05 pm »
At the left turn in Garreg, before the aforementioned climb, there's apparently a little shop open until 10pm.

After checking streetview, it looks like some audaxers outside  ;D ;D

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9541485,-4.066746,3a,75y,50.73h,79.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sE2GEJOxCc5-7hQIfnrOcuQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

If I'm there by 10, I'll be chuffed

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #113 on: 19 May, 2023, 09:25:32 pm »
Is that silly?

In my experience they are about the same time wise though I can't compare on the same event.

2015 it took me 23 mins the longer way with an overall moving av for the whole route of 23kph. 2 weeks ago it took Banksy 25 mins on the hillier route with an overall av for the whole route of 21.5kph.

If you do the longer watch out for the dodgy oblique poorly marked level crossing in the dark when you are tired round a bend just as you start to descend. Why I've excluded it in that direction.
Thanks.
I'm extremely relaxed about level crossings - plus I know about this one from previous editions- but I can understand an organiser taking the opposite view.
(Especially as I know riders have come off on this one in years past!)

I reckon I can make it by 11pm ...... ... if I set off now ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #114 on: 21 May, 2023, 07:42:08 am »
Riders enjoyed a detour adding an extra 200m of climb to Aberdyfi as the main road was closed due to a very nasty RTA.

Weather looks utterly brilliant, bright sunshine but not too hot.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #115 on: 22 May, 2023, 08:45:28 am »
It was a good one!

I finished at 9pm so not quick for me despite the great weather.  I need to get 10 years younger to put in a better time

The best bit of the new route was the B4404 going towards Newtown from (just north of) Mach, loverly road

Tom

« Reply #116 on: 22 May, 2023, 08:55:45 am »
That was my first BCM and only 2nd 600 and I had a thoroughly lovely time. It seemed to be just the right mix of A roads to eat up some distance and lanes to chill out. The weather was simply stunning and I felt so privileged to see Wales in all its technicolour glory. The organisation was spot on and will's crew of experienced audaxers couldn't have been more helpful or encouraging. My only low point was an attack of the sleepies coinciding with a very cold snap between newtown and knighton in the wee hours, but that was my own fault for not sleeping longer at aberdyfi. Huge thanks to all concerned!

« Reply #117 on: 22 May, 2023, 12:04:34 pm »
First BCM (and 600!) for me too. Weather was absolutely spot on and the roads were spectacular, if a little busy in places.

Very slick organisation all round, especially RE the diversion round the motorbike accident. I was sat at Kings when the news came in about the closure and it was all sorted very calmly and quickly. Kudos to the volunteer team there and at Aberdyfi. I took the detour which I reckon cost about an hour*, but there seemed to be a shortcut through a field organised with a farmer next to the road not long after we went the long way, so couldn't help but feel a little hard-done-by when I arrived at Aberdyfi at the same time as some riders who had taken the shortcut. But all wounds healed with careful application of sausages and beans and a few hours kip.

Big thanks to Will and team.

*Whoever named that road Happy Valley got it all wrong - definitely Grumpy Valley at 1am....

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #118 on: 22 May, 2023, 12:56:02 pm »
but there seemed to be a shortcut through a field organised with a farmer next to the road not long after we went the long way, so couldn't help but feel a little hard-done-by when I arrived at Aberdyfi at the same time as some riders who had taken the shortcut.

I was in the group trying to arrange this shortcut, we stood around for 40+mins with all involved but in the end the police shut it down. AFAIK nobody actually used that shortcut so don't feel too hard done by. With the benefit of hindsight just cracking on with the long way around was the right call. I arrived at sleep control about 1am, almost 2 hours later than I'd expected when I left kings (which was just before news got there)
Anyway excellent weather, route and support all around. I found it tougher than any other ride this season, but that was all circumstances issues of my own making. Plenty of learning for next time I do multiday riding solo

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #119 on: 22 May, 2023, 03:43:19 pm »
I left kings at 02:00 due to lack of beds, and promise of available beds at Aberdyfi. There was a diversion of approximately 500m walking through fields, took about 10 minutes, much better than 17km and an hour by the official road diversion.

The police were currently doing their forensic rad examination at the time.

Organisation was fantastic, really enjoyed the route, even the new tougher section between Newton and Weobley, I'm convinced this is much harder than the old return route via Bonllys/Crickhowell/Abergaveny. the coast road seemed nice it would have been great to go though in daylight, the section from Aberdyfi to Newtown was a definite improvement.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #120 on: 22 May, 2023, 05:02:29 pm »
I left kings at 02:00 due to lack of beds, and promise of available beds at Aberdyfi. There was a diversion of approximately 500m walking through fields, took about 10 minutes, much better than 17km and an hour by the official road diversion.

The police were currently doing their forensic rad examination at the time.

Ah this was the route we were trying to get opened up at 11pm. We walked most of it but got turned back . I guess the helicopter parked in the field had gone by 3am? When we were there the pilot said it'd be over an hour before he was going everywhere.

All very sad, so can't get myself worked up about the delay

« Reply #121 on: 23 May, 2023, 07:29:59 pm »
Organisation was fantastic, really enjoyed the route, even the new tougher section between Newton and Weobley, I'm convinced this is much harder than the old return route via Bonllys/Crickhowell/Abergaveny. The coast road seemed nice it would have been great to go though in daylight,
Carrying on up and over after Dolfor and returning via Presteigne rather than Talgarth (the latter retracing the route out for the last 95km(!)) is a few miles shorter but 200m more climb compared to the "old return route" (148km + 1694m). Going round the Tywyn peninsula offers a quiet road with great views (and the additional sleep stop capacity at Aberdovey) and also adds enough miles to make sure the ride is at least 600km long.

Wasn't it you 4 years ago soliloquizing that you were minded to return from Llandrindod Wells over Gospel Pass rather than retrace your outward journey?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #122 on: 23 May, 2023, 08:05:41 pm »
Organisation was fantastic, really enjoyed the route, even the new tougher section between Newton and Weobley, I'm convinced this is much harder than the old return route via Bonllys/Crickhowell/Abergaveny. The coast road seemed nice it would have been great to go though in daylight,
Carrying on up and over after Dolfor and returning via Presteigne rather than Talgarth (the latter retracing the route out for the last 95km(!)) is a few miles shorter but 200m more climb compared to the "old return route" (148km + 1694m). Going round the Tywyn peninsula offers a quiet road with great views (and the additional sleep stop capacity at Aberdovey) and also adds enough miles to make sure the ride is at least 600km long.

Wasn't it you 4 years ago soliloquizing that you were minded to return from Llandrindod Wells over Gospel Pass rather than retrace your outward journey?

that's a long time ago so I can't remember, it's possible I said that and certainly returning on different roads is preferable

I was definitely fitter in 2019,and the Gospel pass is worth the extra 300m, I think the descent from the gospel pass was quick, not so much now since the landslip.

But did take me 4 hours to ride from Newtown to Weobley a distance of 60 miles, probably why I ended up slightly out of time when I left Weobley. I did stop at one shop on he way but not for very lon.

« Reply #123 on: 23 May, 2023, 10:45:45 pm »
I was just out of time at Weobley, and remained so until a chance meeting above Llancloudy (Llanllwydau) with Jonty & Cecilia, who offered me a lift.  So I packed.

« Reply #124 on: 24 May, 2023, 06:00:07 am »
Still had a nice time, though?