Author Topic: Winter training  (Read 9512 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Winter training
« Reply #25 on: 01 September, 2008, 11:03:06 am »
:D 

What's your max HR?  I do the 2 x 20s at about 180bpm, my max on a time trial is about 195.

The highest I can push out on the bike is about 185bpm - probably not bad for a fat, ex-smoking nearly-50-year-old like me; and 170 is about the highest I can manage for spells longer that a few minutes.

I was clearly near my lactate threshold as my legs were burning nicely at the end of each push.

You can do 20 minutes
Do 10 mins on a turbo, next time do 11, then 12 etc etc
That's what training is..finding a way to do things you can't do

I can't do 20 mins. I do a 10 as a series of 5ish min efforts where I judge teh downhills as recovery. And the last bit as flat out till I die...

..d

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #26 on: 01 September, 2008, 11:06:00 am »
I can't do 20 mins. I do a 10 as a series of 5ish min efforts where I judge teh downhills as recovery. And the last bit as flat out till I die...

..d
You can do 20 minutes
Do 10 mins on a turbo, next time do 11, then 12 etc etc
That's what training is..finding a way to do things you can't do

I said I can't. I didn't say I wouldn't be able to.

I'm about to get a front fork fitting for my rollers as they are being 'interesting' when trying to ride them. Or I am out of practice.

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #27 on: 01 September, 2008, 03:36:31 pm »
Race cross and hit the turbo for lots of interval sessions, you WILL be faster next year.

You're on. Just hunting for a suitable frame for the cross bike I'm going to put together..

« Reply #28 on: 01 September, 2008, 06:35:37 pm »
Nice one :thumbsup:

What League are you looking at doing?

For the record my training for the next 2 weeks is riding up bloody big mountains in the alps with a couple of short walks on the rest days (chilling outside a franch cafe as I write this deciding on my route for tommorow ;D)

gonzo

« Reply #29 on: 02 September, 2008, 08:58:33 am »
For the record my training for the next 2 weeks is riding up bloody big mountains in the alps with a couple of short walks on the rest days (chilling outside a franch cafe as I write this deciding on my route for tommorow ;D)

Let me be the first to say; Git! ;)

« Reply #30 on: 02 September, 2008, 01:39:26 pm »

Did the Medeleine this morning 26Km uphill, nearly 2 hours to cover just over 18 miles from my hotel, I'm definitely more a Rouleur than a Grimpeur.

David Martin

« Reply #31 on: 05 September, 2008, 09:27:10 am »

Did the Medeleine this morning 26Km uphill, nearly 2 hours to cover just over 18 miles from my hotel, I'm definitely more a Rouleur than a Grimpeur.

Did the Knapp last night as part of a group of 6. Got dropped going up to Longforgan (a bad start). Got dropped again through Knapp, got dropped again through Littleton and was cramping badly. Joined up at the main road. despite cramp pushed hard on the front to the top of the hill. Fast rotations back to Birkhill but I jumped for the sprint waaaay to early (by several hundred metres - oops).

My legs hurt now. A few more weeks of this and I'll be a lot fitter and lighter.

..d

« Reply #32 on: 08 September, 2008, 04:54:45 pm »
Nice one :thumbsup:

What League are you looking at doing?

New central region league, won't make the first race at Hillingdon tho'.

Frame has been found, just waiting for the funds to clear and it should be posted to me.

LBS primed ready to make me some wheels and obtain other bits etc.

Dismount practice has started. Discovered that looser SPDs are a good idea. Have had some amusing "shit, I'm still attached to the bike!" type moments (these involve frantic hopping, sometimes including falling over). Haven't managed a running remount yet.

Going to have to put together a nice training programme to get me at least sort of ready to race in November.

David Martin

« Reply #33 on: 08 September, 2008, 05:00:02 pm »

Dismount practice has started. Discovered that looser SPDs are a good idea. Have had some amusing "shit, I'm still attached to the bike!" type moments (these involve frantic hopping, sometimes including falling over). Haven't managed a running remount yet.

It's the second foot that is the problem... Unclip first, swing leg over saddle, step through the gap twixt attached leg and frame and hit the ground running as you unclip the foot [1] and pick up the bike...

I must get out and practise as well..

..d

[1] or collapse in a carefully positioned crumpled heap.

« Reply #34 on: 08 September, 2008, 06:24:37 pm »
I'm just starting to get it now, yup-step through the gap, i've got that now- before I was trying to bring my leg around the other side.

Can't do it at any sort of speed yet.

« Reply #35 on: 22 November, 2008, 03:14:28 pm »
It was reading this thread that got me started with cyclocross. Got the bike, got the first race out of the way (really heavy mud mixed with leaves, it was slooooow), next one tomorrow.

Just getting into it this season, hopefully I'll put a bit more into it next year. It's hard but oddly fun. There's a  bit of falling off involved, thankfully the probability of falling appears to be proportional to the softness of the ground.

My dismount is pretty good now, the remount is improving but still a little duff. Passable under ideal conditions, terrible in challenging terrain or when someone is watching.

simonp

« Reply #36 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:53:15 pm »
I'm about to have a go at 2x20 on the Turbo.  Reckon I should be aiming for 200W or so - I know I can push that out for 30 mins.  Don't want to overdo it as I wasn't training for a while after hurting my back so I will see how I feel at that before trying anything harder.

Powertap is filthy, got my hands very dirty putting the turbo tyre on.  Bloody winter.  ::-)

simonp

« Reply #37 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:05:36 pm »
I'm about to have a go at 2x20 on the Turbo.  Reckon I should be aiming for 200W or so - I know I can push that out for 30 mins.

Ow!  ::-)

First 20 was fine.  Second was painful.  Did my push-ups right after.

« Reply #38 on: 10 January, 2009, 02:55:23 pm »
First RP lap of the year.

Bloody freezing.
27m45s (23.45kph).
HRav = 172bpm (including there and back)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

inc

« Reply #39 on: 10 January, 2009, 03:44:30 pm »
Any imposed loads will have some training effect but to maximise your  time spent training  an understanding of the physiology helps you to see the effect each type of riding has. It is all about balancing quantity and quality. Peter Keen was the physiologist behind Boardman and then as Performance Director of BC a key player in the the  success of British cycling . A trawl of the net has found this article, well worth a read. It explains the fundamentals to any cycling improvement. 
http://www.southdownvelo.org.uk/pages/howdoi/hrm-levels.pdf

inc

« Reply #40 on: 11 January, 2009, 04:24:08 pm »
Was it something I said I seem to have killed this thread, has anyone read the link was it useful.

« Reply #41 on: 11 January, 2009, 04:59:41 pm »
thankfully the probability of falling appears to be proportional to the softness of the ground.

I was wrong about this. I hadn't considered frozen rutted mud.

simonp

« Reply #42 on: 11 January, 2009, 05:01:17 pm »
Was it something I said I seem to have killed this thread, has anyone read the link was it useful.

It looks very interesting but am going to come back to it and read it properly when I've got time. 

Thanks.

« Reply #43 on: 11 January, 2009, 05:04:54 pm »

I'd like to try a more structured approach to training this season so It'll probably be useful.