Author Topic: Tories want number plates and speed limits for cycles  (Read 12209 times)

Re: Tories want number plates and speed limits for cycles
« Reply #75 on: 20 September, 2022, 11:38:38 am »
Was using a cycling lane to reach the head of 2 lanes of traffic at the lights about 50 metres away. They have a green for bicycles which had just lit up.

Just as I reached the front of a double-decker bus a middle-aged male pedestrian, jay-walking across the road, steps out from behind the front of the bus, not having looked first.  Jamming on the brakes I nearly stand the bike on end, just managing to stop in time, and to unclip without taking a tumble.  The pedestrian says 'bloody hell' and glares at me as if it was my fault!   I just say 'you should have looked' and wait for an apology although judging by his face I don't think that is likely so I just look him in the eye waiting and daring him to say anything other than sorry. His eyes drop and he just walks off without another word. 

Previous experiences of careless pedestrians has been that they do apologise quite readily.  I have never hit one; over the years two have walked off the pavement into the side of my bike, knocking me off and remaining standing and now I always cycle well out from crowded pavements. 

Clearly pedestrians should have insurance and number plates.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Re: Tories want number plates and speed limits for cycles
« Reply #76 on: 20 September, 2022, 11:40:35 am »
face it the general public in the UK hate cyclists; *

ride up any hill in France and you get "allez allez" or "bonne courage"

in the UK it's IMX mostly "oi mate your wheels are going raand" or "get on the cyclepath you c**t"

* except when they win medals and briefly become national heroes

14 years of cycling in France confirms that.
Move Faster and Bake Things