Author Topic: Son got knocked off  (Read 3374 times)

Son got knocked off
« on: 23 August, 2022, 10:53:07 pm »
My son got knocked off a "nextbike" in Victoria Rd Glasgow this evening. He seems mostly OK, just bruising and grazes. I think he was here: https://goo.gl/maps/8rZFKxC9Np9hBfPs8 on the cycle lane and the car drove into the side street. 

I am not sure the legalities of this kind of junction - who has right of way.
The car stopped and he got the number, and they had words, but he didnt get name/insurance.  Some people stopped but he didnt get their names.

What (if anything) should he do ?

(oh, a check of the reg number shows its untaxed)

Re: Son got knocked off
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2022, 11:13:42 pm »
Report the collision to the police. Include photos of injuries. If the driver didn't leave name / insurance, that's an offence regardless of who was at fault for the collision.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2022, 11:39:34 pm »
I am not sure the legalities of this kind of junction - who has right of way.

The person cycling does. Doubly so with this year's highway code changes.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction#ruleh3

What (if anything) should he do ?

What does he want? Prosecution? Compensation?

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2022, 08:29:51 am »
Yes I forgot the new HC rules.    He reported it to police and said they took many details on the phone and someone will contact him.  Fingers crossed

What does he want ?   Tbh I don’t know and neither does he I suspect.   Just for the driver to know you can’t do that maybe.   He seems stiff and sore this morn but ok otherwise. 

Thanks for feedback

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2022, 10:03:53 am »
He seems stiff and sore this morn but ok otherwise. 

Ideally, he should get himself checked out by a doctor - if only so he has an official record of the damage done in the event of needing to make a claim.

But also because the damage done in these incidents isn't always immediately apparent and it may take longer to fully recover than he initially expects, which could have knock-on effects in other areas of his life.

I'm sure he doesn't want to go down the route of being litigious for the sake of being litigious, but nor should he put up with *any* negative impact from this for the sake of avoiding making a fuss.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2022, 10:06:03 am »
Also, has he reported it to Nextbike? He doesn't want to find himself being liable for any damage done to the bike while it was in his possession.

Legal business aside, hope the injuries really are minor and heal quickly, and don't put him off cycling.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2022, 10:44:36 am »
The junction does look unclear from all angles, others have commented on the legalities. Hope he's okay.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2022, 07:07:31 pm »
The give way lines are incontrovertible

Not for cyclepath users, or vehicles turning into the side street.

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2022, 09:52:17 pm »

Indeed, they are clear for users coming out of the road. For cycle path users, it looks like clear right of way. For drivers turning off the bigger road you just have wishy-washy HC guidance that no-one has read. And some red brick paving.

I so wish councils would stop just making this up as they go along, with different stuff everywhere that drivers have to guess about. In countries that have had this sort of infrastructure for a long time, it's really clear, with big fuck-off don't-cross-without-looking markings, but most of all it's consistent and drivers understand exactly what to do. No sane driver /wants/ to knock a cyclist off, but with something like this rubbish it's all too easy to misread the road.

ETA, FTAOD, The driver was 100% in the wrong.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2022, 05:32:24 pm »

Indeed, they are clear for users coming out of the road. For cycle path users, it looks like clear right of way. For drivers turning off the bigger road you just have wishy-washy HC guidance that no-one has read. And some red brick paving.

I so wish councils would stop just making this up as they go along, with different stuff everywhere that drivers have to guess about. In countries that have had this sort of infrastructure for a long time, it's really clear, with big fuck-off don't-cross-without-looking markings, but most of all it's consistent and drivers understand exactly what to do. No sane driver /wants/ to knock a cyclist off, but with something like this rubbish it's all too easy to misread the road.

ETA, FTAOD, The driver was 100% in the wrong.
and yet drivers manage to understand that when in lane 2 of a dual carriageway you do not turn across drivers in lane 1, nor do you cut across in front of a bus in a bus lane.
Why would a cycle lane be different?
a) driver didn't look properly
b) driver thinks might makes right and pedestrians and cyclists should get out of their way.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 26 August, 2022, 06:23:05 pm »

Because it's got bikes in, and bikes are for unimportant poor people and speeding red-light-jumping lycra louts.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 26 August, 2022, 11:05:24 pm »

Because, by definition, it will be empty. All the cyclists will be riding 2 or 3 abreast in the road.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 26 August, 2022, 11:22:10 pm »

Because it's got bikes in, and bikes are for unimportant poor people and speeding red-light-jumping lycra louts.

Wot don't need no room.

« Reply #14 on: 27 August, 2022, 03:09:16 am »
Happily he was back at work and doesn’t seem to be suffering any lasting damage.   He said the police are coming round later today to take a statement.   I asked him what he wants to happen and he says he doesn’t really know, he’ll see how it goes with the police.   

I use a similar cycle lane almost daily. You do need to be on the ball for drivers though my commute is not in such a busy part of town.  With less  distractions and no residences off the side roads, cars coming and going almost always give way for me. 

« Reply #15 on: 27 August, 2022, 10:36:19 am »
and yet drivers manage to understand that when in lane 2 of a dual carriageway you do not turn across drivers in lane 1, nor do you cut across in front of a bus in a bus lane.
a) driver didn't look properly
b) driver thinks might makes right and pedestrians and cyclists should get out of their way.

Yes, both of those, (a) because they're only looking for motor vehicles; (b) includes the assumption that cyclists can just stop instantly like a pedestrian can stop.

But also there's familiarity - all dual carriageways are identical so everyone knows how to use one even if they're new in the area. Most bus lanes are the same, and where they're not you do see some sketchy driving manoeuvres. Cycle paths/lanes seem to be continually changing in design with different mistakes made every time.

There are some signs on the CSs in London telling cyclists to watch out for vehicles turning across their path. Sound advice in itself, but by implication they are also telling drivers that they have right of way when turning across the cycle lane, which they certainly do not.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 27 August, 2022, 08:28:47 pm »
And that particular cycle lane looks like "pavement" rather than "road".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.