Author Topic: Why SOME Motorists seem to hate ALL Cyclists  (Read 11982 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Why SOME Motorists seem to hate ALL Cyclists
« Reply #25 on: 02 September, 2022, 09:11:01 am »
'Nice' Guardian follow-up with a selection of cyclists that have given up cycling...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/sep/01/i-will-never-ride-a-bike-again-why-people-are-giving-up-on-cycling
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #26 on: 02 September, 2022, 09:27:30 am »
Anti-cycling press articles are clickbait. There isn't much more to it than that. They are designed to get people angry, either feeling that they are threatened by something, or that somebody undeserving is getting something you are not.  And people fall for it every time.

« Reply #27 on: 02 September, 2022, 09:34:29 am »
The trouble is that SOME drivers are dicks. And you (one/I) don't remember 250 cars passing without incident, we remember that one knobber who winds his window down and shouts stuff at you as you're climbing a hill feeling a bit fragile at the end of ride, and a small part of you wonders if next time you won't just pull in to the next residential street with your heart racing, but will be driven off the road.

Random acts of aggression destroy your (one's/my) composure.

« Reply #28 on: 02 September, 2022, 10:05:34 am »
^^^  Absolutely this. ^^^
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #29 on: 02 September, 2022, 10:10:22 am »
Anti-cycling press articles are clickbait. There isn't much more to it than that. They are designed to get people angry, either feeling that they are threatened by something, or that somebody undeserving is getting something you are not.  And people fall for it every time.

And when it's on the media its normally the sort of show where you get the lowest IQ folk on to shout at each other

« Reply #30 on: 02 September, 2022, 11:02:15 am »
Cycling UK added up all the newspaper articles that misrepresented the Highway code changes. They had counted 72 by last February.

CYCLISTS MUST RIDE ABREAST IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD.

In other words journalists, the Evening Standard, Mail and all the Reach stable, took road safety measures designed to save lives and lied about them to confuse and enrage drivers.

« Reply #31 on: 02 September, 2022, 11:25:25 am »
Clickbait. Easy target, because most people are drivers and very few are cyclists  Safe target too; unlike picking on race, sexuality or gender.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #32 on: 02 September, 2022, 01:23:29 pm »
All part of the drip, drip, drip.

Clickbaiting is not a victimless crime.

« Reply #33 on: 02 September, 2022, 03:10:25 pm »
All very sensible points in the video.

In the unlikely event you want pointers you have never met and doesn't know your situation.
If you want to connect more with your viewership in future videos you might want to take your sunglasses off (assuming there isn't a reason you keep them on.)

« Reply #34 on: 03 September, 2022, 09:51:34 pm »
All very sensible points in the video.

In the unlikely event you want pointers you have never met and doesn't know your situation.
If you want to connect more with your viewership in future videos you might want to take your sunglasses off (assuming there isn't a reason you keep them on.)
I thought exactly that when I was editing it, stupid schoolboy error leaving them on !

ian

« Reply #35 on: 04 September, 2022, 10:58:50 am »
The trouble is that SOME drivers are dicks. And you (one/I) don't remember 250 cars passing without incident, we remember that one knobber who winds his window down and shouts stuff at you as you're climbing a hill feeling a bit fragile at the end of ride, and a small part of you wonders if next time you won't just pull in to the next residential street with your heart racing, but will be driven off the road.

Random acts of aggression destroy your (one's/my) composure.

For me it was the occasion when, after I'd held up a van for what might have been entire seconds down a narrow street, as I turned, a beer bottle flew by my head. Reassuringly, out the driver's window. I know it's an outlier and, to be fair, I can only think of two other outliers like that in the recent few decades.

That said, every ride features something: a modest aggression, a dangerous pass. Something. And riding a bike on the road becomes – for me – an anticipation of that next one. It's not fun. I'm waiting for something bad to happen and it's an exercise in tiring anxiety. Once, I'm off the road, it's peachy, but given the nature of cycling provision in the UK, nirvana varies from distant to discontinuous. I still occasionally take the Brompton on the train and have a pootle around London. Oddly, even on the roads in the centre of town, the cycling experience is very different to the burbs.

It may that I'm getting older and feeling the shadows more. Some decades ago, I'd fearless swing around the untamed Elephant and Castle roundabout and the like, and it was a curious kind of fun. Now, even if I know I'm unlikely to die or be seriously injured, being yelled at and abused isn't fun. And if something bad does happen, I have no faith in the police to do anything, and on the off chance, they do, I have even less faith in the justice system. At the same time, drivers can proceed in their bad and dangerous habits with impunity and the tacit support of the media.

It's shitty, and part of me feels like I'm letting the side down, and we all ought to be there travelling by bike and foot, and yet we seem to making this harder each and every year.

« Reply #36 on: 04 September, 2022, 03:27:42 pm »
Similar feelings. Ironically the main use of the car now is to carry our bikes well away from the worst traffic.

Cycling in central London is much more pleasant than the suburbs simply because the number of cyclists is much greater. I, and several other experienced locals, have pretty much given up cycling here in outer suburbs.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #37 on: 04 September, 2022, 09:06:27 pm »
Every now and then a motorist comes along to restore my faith in (the majority of) motorists.
By overtaking sensibly
By waiting until there's space to overtake
By idling very s l o w l y behind me as I go up a hill at snail's pace
The general majority of motorists are OK too. 
The one who said neeearrrh psyclepath very kindly helped me get rid of the approaching dozies at the end of an overnight ride.

Every now and then a cyclist comes along who reminds me that motorists don't have a monopoly on being dicks.
By overtaking too closely
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

ian

« Reply #38 on: 05 September, 2022, 09:58:19 am »
Similar feelings. Ironically the main use of the car now is to carry our bikes well away from the worst traffic.

Cycling in central London is much more pleasant than the suburbs simply because the number of cyclists is much greater. I, and several other experienced locals, have pretty much given up cycling here in outer suburbs.

It's grim and my heart sinks when I reach the boundary of the London Borough of Croydon where any cycling provision fears to tread and driving standards are dismal and road policing minimal. They could put up a Thunderdome to complete the scenario. If you survive as long as Surrey, it gets no better, I think the council's policies include the eradication of cyclists. When I do cycle, I get the train from Croydon. What makes it even worse is the incessant rise of traffic volume, even the quiet lanes near me where it used to be possible to cycle and only see the occasional car are now cluttered.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #39 on: 05 September, 2022, 10:38:05 am »
Anywhere where bigger, heavier, richer cars are more prevalent is bad. With expensive cars comes entitlement, it seems.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #40 on: 07 September, 2022, 05:19:45 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/aug/30/why-do-some-people-hate-cyclists-so-much?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Article in today’s Guardian about this very subject. Whilst clearly some people’s experiences are quite harrowing, the plural of anecdote is not data. I am rarely subject to abuse by car drivers, I can’t actually remember the last time it happened. Maybe I just ignore it and cycle on. My view is if you can’t travel through a built-up area faster on a bike then in a motor vehicle then you might as well be on the bus.
I would back myself to beat the bus in any urban area

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #41 on: 04 October, 2022, 10:12:03 pm »
wrt the clickbait shit ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-63134820

Speaking after the sentencing, he told the BBC: "There is a big problem of 'othering' of cyclists, they are seen as less than human.

"If something happens to someone's car or something it is seen as more important than the health and wellbeing of the cyclist, which I think is really worrying.

"Any kind of infraction of the highway code from cyclists is met with rage from people who may do plenty of things outside the highway code as well, but because it's a cyclist they see that differently."

« Reply #42 on: 05 October, 2022, 09:03:42 pm »
Quote from: Luke 6, 41
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

« Reply #43 on: 08 October, 2022, 12:20:59 pm »
The sensational stories, as mentioned, certainly serve as an exacerbating backdrop to the hostility, but it has always felt to me like the root is in a misplaced sense of ownership: the idea that the road is for cars.

We're taught as children to cross safely - to wait for breaks in traffic, to push the button that temporarily halts the flow of traffic, to wait for the authority figure to hold up a sign and make it safe for us. The roads are full of cars - which, at a basic face-value level, makes it appear that the road is for cars - and we're told, from the outset - not to venture onto them. That we need special permission to enter the car's territory. The fact that non-car occupants of the road might have right-of-way is treated as a QI-esque "did you know?" curiosity.

That cars own the road is an easy assumption to make.

So the driver feels like they're doing the right thing, using the vehicle that belongs there. A human-powered vehicle doesn't belong. It's in the way. Everybody knows roads are for cars, so what the hell does this human-powered thing think it's doing? It should get out of my way, because everyone knows it is my way. I'm right, they're wrong. They're not making room for me, even though we both know they have to. And that's just...that's just rude. If someone is openly rude to me, I don't have to tolerate it - it's perfectly understandable that I should yell at them. I'm not being aggressive, I'm retaliating to this provocation by an interloper.

-------

Very obviously, the driver is wrong. But the whole culture of road-use has funneled them into that wrongness. Not an excuse, I hasten to add. But, without sustained blanket public information to tell them plainly that things are not as they think, that the hierarchy does not have the car at the top, well, it does seem to be an inevitability.

« Reply #44 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:31:11 pm »
There is a very interesting programme on BBC1 tonight at 8pm worth watching.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #45 on: 02 November, 2022, 08:34:19 pm »
Panorama: Cycling Mikey?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #46 on: 02 November, 2022, 11:59:51 pm »
Yes, delayed from a week or two ago because Cheesoid.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #47 on: 04 November, 2022, 08:23:39 am »

One in three drivers think cyclists should be banned from public roads

But..

While it is presented as polling, the data itself comes from an unscientific online survey.

"The AA poll is a monthly online survey of around 15,000 drivers and AA members who have signed up for AA's Motoring Panel, AA panellists ane emailed a survey link to invite them to take part in a ten-minute survey and the AA also posts a survey link on their website for drivers to complete. Therefore the data is not representative of the UK population. All respondents are entered into a prize draw for £500 each month."

Not a good look for the BBC.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #48 on: 04 November, 2022, 08:47:42 am »
I answered that survey. You can guess my responses.

« Reply #49 on: 04 November, 2022, 09:03:01 am »
Same here. Was quite clearly biast