Author Topic: Why SOME Motorists seem to hate ALL Cyclists  (Read 11984 times)

Re: Why SOME Motorists seem to hate ALL Cyclists
« Reply #50 on: 04 November, 2022, 12:35:11 pm »
Quote from: from the same article
Other findings found by the new research include that 25% of motorists have knowingly passed a cyclists closer than 1.5 metres - something that is not allowed under the refreshed Highway Code.

Or in other words 25% of drivers admit they need to surrender their driving license and have a new set of lessons.

« Reply #51 on: 04 November, 2022, 10:43:21 pm »
Some workie van close-passed me intentionally today on my commute home, the passenger casually giving me the finger. As I looked at I knew there was a good chance it wouldn’t be road legal - checked when at home, not taxed.  FL06GVJ. 

« Reply #52 on: 05 November, 2022, 12:00:38 pm »
I don't know why people engage with them, they want the argument, you won't win, you can't impose rationality on irrationality.
Interestingly (for me) the last rant from a motorist was when I was walking on the pavement with my kids.  His issue was that I was wearing shokz headphones and my kids were on scooters - ergo (in his mind) not paying attention to his driving down the road and looking to pull in to his drive.  For some reason we didn't stop, wave, say hello or something when he beeped at us.
My youngest was quite confused "why was he beeping?", "what did he want?".  No point in discussing, he's just (naturally) angry.

But what it did teach me is that I don't need to be on a bike to experience the dumbass drivers, and they will do this to their neighbours so there is no avoiding them.  So I might as well keep cycling.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #53 on: 05 November, 2022, 12:10:53 pm »

One in three drivers think cyclists should be banned from public roads

But..

While it is presented as polling, the data itself comes from an unscientific online survey.
<snip>
Not a good look for the BBC.

The BBC has form for misrepresenting minority often hateful (clickbaity) interest groups self-surveys as "research", "data" or "statistics".

« Reply #54 on: 05 November, 2022, 04:08:13 pm »
^My first thought was that the answer to the question was unclear.  E.g. does someone think that we should provide separate Dutch-style cycle infrastructure as it is not safe for bikes to be on the road?  Yes they think bikes should not be on the road.  Or do they think tat cyclists shouldn't be on their road because motorist, rode tax, ext?  Yes they think bikes should not be on the road.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #55 on: 05 November, 2022, 04:45:14 pm »
Some workie van.... it wouldn’t be road legal - checked when at home, not taxed.  FL06GVJ.
Make sure you report this fact on the .gov website.

« Reply #56 on: 05 November, 2022, 10:30:26 pm »
Some workie van.... it wouldn’t be road legal - checked when at home, not taxed.  FL06GVJ.
Make sure you report this fact on the .gov website.

A URL would have helped.

Presumably you mean https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle

« Reply #57 on: 06 November, 2022, 07:54:08 am »
Cycling in York drops sharply – as residents say city routes are too dangerous

Every time I cycle in York these days I find myself wondering how I survived 15 years of riding my bike to work every day whatever the weather. I keep thinking it must have been easier back then. I stopped work after redundancy in 2005, but really it is only within the last few years that cycling in York has become much less attractive. One problem is the size of cars as York streets tend to be narrow and modern cars wider.  But also the cycling infrastructure is totally inadequate and poorly maintained.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #58 on: 06 November, 2022, 06:28:34 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 06 November, 2022, 07:48:53 pm »
Cycling in York drops sharply – as residents say city routes are too dangerous

Every time I cycle in York these days I find myself wondering how I survived 15 years of riding my bike to work every day whatever the weather. I keep thinking it must have been easier back then. I stopped work after redundancy in 2005, but really it is only within the last few years that cycling in York has become much less attractive. One problem is the size of cars as York streets tend to be narrow and modern cars wider.  But also the cycling infrastructure is totally inadequate and poorly maintained.

Every time I cycle in York I think it's brilliant, but that's because I live in Birmingham.  It would be sad for it to turn into Canterbury (which is surely 'York without the cycling culture').

« Reply #60 on: 07 November, 2022, 08:00:35 am »
Why? Because 99% of people on bikes ride like utter dickheads, in London anyway.

ian

« Reply #61 on: 07 November, 2022, 09:37:41 am »
They're not (and it's a stupid thing to claim, I've been cycling in London for two decades and if there's two 'crimes' it's mostly being blokey blokes who have to race to everywhere and a tenuous relationship with traffic light phases; in may ways this is a reflection of cycling demographics which have broadly excluded everyone who isn't a youngish man).

While I may recreationally gripe, I don't really care. I do care that they're not in cars.