Author Topic: British Cycling sponsor...  (Read 4090 times)

British Cycling sponsor...
« on: 10 October, 2022, 03:14:03 pm »
BC's new official corporate sponsor is...  Shell UK.   :facepalm: 

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/article/20221010-Shell-UK-partner-announcement

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: British Cycling sponsor...
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2022, 03:23:53 pm »
I had decided to join British Cycling.

That might be enough to make me think again.

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2022, 08:21:53 pm »
They do have a lot of money to throw around. But it is greenwashing imo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2022, 08:24:39 pm »
At this point it's like they're *trying* to look bad.

« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2022, 09:10:45 pm »
Because Ineos wasn't bad enough?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: British Cycling enters sponsorship deal with Shell
« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2022, 09:22:52 pm »
It's as though those in charge are incapable of joined up thinking.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2022, 09:27:05 pm »
Unfortunately, I can't cancel my membership as I did that some years ago.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2022, 09:54:17 pm »
Un. F**king. Believable.

« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2022, 10:23:45 pm »
Introducing our new class of BC membership -
Drive - for all your car-borne needs, contesting your parking and speeding tickets and your driving offences in court

« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2022, 11:08:15 pm »
I had decided to join British Cycling.

That might be enough to make me think again.

I have renewed mine this week so I am still within my 14 day cancellation period.  I only really maintain my membership for the peace of mind of the 3rd party insurance cover.  I am thinking about arranging alternative cover elsewhere and asking for a refund on the membership.  I don’t feel comfortable with being a member of an organisation that is cozying up to Shell.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2022, 04:53:38 am »
What peace of mind does the BC insurance cover give? AFAIK if you are a member and another member causes a crash that wrecks your £££ bike the insurance isn't valid as member on member incidents are not covered.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2022, 07:49:50 am »
I have renewed mine this week so I am still within my 14 day cancellation period.  I only really maintain my membership for the peace of mind of the 3rd party insurance cover.  I am thinking about arranging alternative cover elsewhere and asking for a refund on the membership.  I don’t feel comfortable with being a member of an organisation that is cozying up to Shell.

I took out family membership (something BC don't offer) with Cycling UK when my wife bought an e-bike. I had BC Ride membership at the time.

I used to have both CTC and BC/SC membership. I had been a longtime member of CTC (since the 80s) and as a SC affiliated club official, SC membership was a requirement. I cancelled CTC membership at the time of the CTC to CUK re-branding.

« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2022, 08:15:06 am »
What peace of mind does the BC insurance cover give? AFAIK if you are a member and another member causes a crash that wrecks your £££ bike the insurance isn't valid as member on member incidents are not covered.

I am not looking to do the impossible and justify the inner workings of my mind or to get into rows over insurance and cyclists, just to say that I prefer to ride with third party liability insurance when I ride on the roads.

Anyway, it’s now a mute point as I emailed cancelling the membership last night and will be looking to find the equivalent insurance cover from elsewhere.  Without wanting to hijack the thread, if anyone has any recommendations (not interested in theft cover etc, just public liability when cycling) then please shout.

« Reply #14 on: 11 October, 2022, 08:51:00 am »
Unfortunately, I can't cancel my membership as I did that some years ago.
Im going to sign up today just so I can cancel it and give them what for.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2022, 09:18:53 am »
If you are looking for the third party insurance and are a member of Audax UK, you can take Cycling UK affiliate membership which is cheaper than their normal rate - it includes the insurance but (I think, need to look it up, it's not super obvious on their website) excludes voting rights and the magazine.  I think plenty of other organisations and clubs have the same deal. AUK members can contact me on membership@audax.uk and I can reveal the secret code!

Alternatively you could consider London Cycling Campaign (LCC), especially if you live anywhere near London. They are a bit more expensive than CUK but they genuinely do loads of campaigning work for cycling, especially the urban and utility variety.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #16 on: 11 October, 2022, 09:49:09 am »
@JellyLegs - 3rd party/liability is why I joined CUK.

« Reply #17 on: 11 October, 2022, 09:54:02 am »
Another alternative 3rd party insurance on this thread:

Laka bike insurance

https://laka.co/gb/club/

I'm guessing if you see cycling as a professional sport rather than a form of transport, then a high profile sponsor with money makes sense?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2022, 10:53:09 am »
Cycle sport isn't exactly "green" is it?

« Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2022, 03:53:25 pm »
If you are looking for the third party insurance and are a member of Audax UK, you can take Cycling UK affiliate membership which is cheaper than their normal rate - it includes the insurance but (I think, need to look it up, it's not super obvious on their website) excludes voting rights and the magazine. 
It does include the insurance, but it doesn't include the legal assistance, if you ever have an accident claim that's a biggie.  For some time a winning claimant has paid the solicitors success fee, up to 25% of the compensation.  Cycling UK and British Cycling have deals with their solicitors that this isn't charged.  You may never make a claim, but if you do it's quite likely paying your solicitors success fee will wipe out a lifetime's saving from the cheaper subscription, possibly several lifetimes worth.   

« Reply #20 on: 11 October, 2022, 04:46:42 pm »

Agreed, tho BC's membership is:  Fan, Commute, Ride, Race.  Would be interesting to know numbers in each; they've def positioned themselves into general cycling.

*I'm a member of the other org, although I had been thinking of a swap.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #21 on: 14 October, 2022, 10:12:54 am »
Without wanting to hijack the thread, if anyone has any recommendations (not interested in theft cover etc, just public liability when cycling) then please shout.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.  I ended up going with a £2m cyclist public liability policy from a commercial insurance company for £1.25 a month.  The policy covers all cycling except professional racing (>£5k prize fund). It does what I want at very minimal cost.  When the economic climate improves I will probably join either Cycling UK or LCC but for now I will pocket the extra £40.

« Reply #22 on: 14 October, 2022, 10:22:55 am »

The Womens' Tour came through my town this year. There must have been at least 2 motorised vehicles in the convoy per 1 rider in the race.

With fuel costs the way they are, they probably wanted a corporate rate!

« Reply #23 on: 14 October, 2022, 11:29:32 am »
I ended up going with a £2m cyclist public liability policy from a commercial insurance company for £1.25 a month.
What is the name of the company?