Author Topic: Belgian cycle allowance  (Read 2538 times)

Belgian cycle allowance
« on: 31 January, 2023, 06:53:04 pm »
Ok, I'd not make a fortune, but it's the principle which counts
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2023/01/25/cycle-allowance-for-all/
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Re: Belgian cycle allowance
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2023, 07:06:40 pm »
Glorious !!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2023, 08:23:18 pm »
Good Idea
I had a bike allowance when I was at secondary school.
My Mum made one of the county councillors come and see if she could run from my grammar school along the road and across the A6 to catch the bus that was timed to suit the secondary mod school who finished earlier. She couldn't. The bus company refused to alter the schedule for one child, so I got a bike allowance instead!
Probably not much - possibly enough for an inner tube and small can of oil a year, but a minor victory for cycling.

I did get to school on my bike (4 miles each way, with a big hill) every day in the infamous winter of 1962/3 - the bus didn't.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2023, 10:05:49 pm »
Was that Northants?

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2023, 08:54:02 am »
Indeed, the old Grammar/High school in Kettering.
Mum had already got a bike allowance for older brother on the basis he suffered from travel sickness.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2023, 09:58:37 am »
If I remember correctly, the key distance for buses was 2.5 miles so I assume a bike allowance was for distances over that. My school was 1.5 miles away (Northampton) so no allowance for me, bus or otherwise. It was bus initially (although I walked back and spent bus fare on sweets) then I got a bike for Xmas and cycled from then on.

« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2023, 10:35:51 am »
Base fitness built as a child meant even after a 40 year break from the sport, I could come back to it.
 :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2023, 02:48:40 pm »
I had a free season ticket for my journey to school on public transport (Barnet, London) as the school was more than 3 miles away by the shortest route.

I could have claimed a bike allowance instead for my last year, when I cycled but kept my rail ticket.

I think the bike allowance was 75p/term which, even in 1975, didn't seem worthwhile...

« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2023, 09:43:02 pm »
It would be nice if it was universal here in France - and if it counted for people walking to work as well. An example: my sister-in-law works for the regional council (in their office in Limoges). Recently her co-workers who volunteer to give up using their cars to go to work (electric scooter or bike with or without assistance - but mainly with; Limoges has hills) are being given a prime of 300€ a month. S-i-l has always walked to work, even before she scrapped her car because too old, mot problems and not enough use, so since she hasn't given up going to work by car she is not eligible for the prime. (Added to which it is not clear how well the scheme is being policed in the cold weather; a certain number of cars may be reappearing, regardless of whether the prime is being collected!)