Author Topic: 20 mph limit  (Read 22887 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: 20 mph limit
« Reply #25 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:55:50 am »
We've covered this before. 
Getting there...

« Reply #26 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:56:59 am »
Interestingly, speed limits didn't apply to trolleybuses, as they were technically railway vehicles

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:58:03 am »
Many of the roads round my neck of the woods are 20mph, with speed pillows and appropriate signage.  I always drive at 20mph, but the number of times I've been tailgated and then overtaken at the first opportunity by some impatient twatbadger who thinks the limit doesn't apply to him are too many to count.

It's actually very satisfying to keep comfortably below the speed limit and watch in my rear view mirror as they slowly get redder and redder in the face  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #28 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:01:40 am »
I'm more worried about having to keep to 20mph on my bicycle. I will forever be in fear of a police motorbike coming up behind me and saying.  "Who do  you think you are, Bradley Wiggins?"

Since they imposed 20 limits in some York streets,  I now know that I never exceed it.  The reason is that I don't tend to get stuck behind motor vehicles in such streets.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #29 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:04:24 am »
I'm more worried about having to keep to 20mph on my bicycle. I will forever be in fear of a police motorbike coming up behind me and saying.  "Who do  you think you are, Bradley Wiggins?"

Speed limits do not apply to cycles*.

*Except where there has been specific local provision.

;D

The speed limit applies to ANYTHING using the road for the purpose of getting from one place to another.

No it does not. 

A cyclist, skateboarder, roller skater, in-line skater, tobogonist, canoist etc will probably not be prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit.
This is primarily because their vehicle does not possess a VCA certified speed indication device.

No it isn't.  It's because the relevant legislation specifically states 'motor vehicle'.

Wilfully disregard this law and you might be pulled for 'inconsiderate cycling'.

Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling.
If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

You cannot use inconsiderate cycling as a proxy for prosecuting a speeding offence.   
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #30 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:05:01 am »
The speed limit applies to ANYTHING using the road for the purpose of getting from one place to another.

Only if it has a motor.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #31 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:05:39 am »
Many of the roads round my neck of the woods are 20mph, with speed pillows and appropriate signage.  I always drive at 20mph, but the number of times I've been tailgated and then overtaken at the first opportunity by some impatient twatbadger who thinks the limit doesn't apply to him are too many to count.

It's actually very satisfying to keep comfortably below the speed limit and watch in my rear view mirror as they slowly get redder and redder in the face  :D

I love doing that as well.... and if they flash me or similar, then I get even slower.   :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #32 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:17:53 am »
I have discovered that the cruise control on my car will hold a speed reported as 19mph.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 08 August, 2014, 01:29:37 pm »
I've just read a nice explanation of why we needn't worry about the lack of enforcement of 20mph zones. Indeed, they're more a symptom than a purpose - which I've thought for a while myself.
Some may complain that 20 mile per hour speed limits are currently unenforced and, so widely ignored that they’re meaningless. I prefer to take a long-term perspective.
 Descent into the asocial brutality of mass motor dependence was marked by a long period where a 20 mph limit existed but was ignored by almost everybody. Perhaps progress to more efficient and convivial living systems will see the process reverse? Let’s get the 20 mph limit in, even if hardly anyone – police or sofa-jockeys – take much notice, then we can start nudging behavioural norms and the thinking that informs them. That’s what happened with drunk driving. It used to be normal, there was no legal limit for blood alcohol before 1967, now it is generally considered a menace to society and ‘criminal’ behaviour.
Here
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #34 on: 10 August, 2014, 12:45:39 am »

I love doing that as well.... and if they flash me or similar, then I get even slower.   :demon:

What can be fun is when they're so close you can lip-read what they are shouting. People who do that don't seem to appreciate the kindness I like to show to other motorists by letting them out into the flow of traffic.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #35 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:40:48 am »

What can be fun is when they're so close you can lip-read what they are shouting. People who do that don't seem to appreciate the kindness I like to show to other motorists by letting them out into the flow of traffic.

Driving at or just below the speed limit is one of my favourite hobbies.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #36 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:00:39 am »
Having temporary access to Netflix I've been re-watching Twin Peaks and came across this:

Quote from: 'Special Agent Dale Cooper'
Quote from: 'Sheriff Harry S. Truman'
Quote from: 'Special Agent Dale Cooper'
You know why I'm whittling?
Okay, I'll, I'll bite again. Why are you whittling?
Because that's what you do in a town where a yellow light still means slow down, not speed up.

Just made me reflect on my own driving style.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #37 on: 11 August, 2014, 12:21:14 pm »
You cannot use inconsiderate cycling as a proxy for prosecuting a speeding offence.   

Not where speeding is the only factor.  Where speed is inappropriate for the conditions you (and the law) sure can.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 11 August, 2014, 12:50:12 pm »

Driving at or just below the speed limit is one of my favourite hobbies.

Cruise control is your friend, especially if it works down to 30 km/h.  USAnian seem to switch themselves off below 25 mph.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #39 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:39:38 pm »

You can but you have to prove that there was a realistic possibility of harm to the rider or a third party by the cyclist's actions. Travelling at speed is not in itself inconsiderate.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #40 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:00:31 pm »
Edinburgh council have just voted in favour of 20mph limits on nearly all the city centre roads.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #41 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:38:35 pm »
:thumbsup:
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:41:01 pm »
Will it apply to the trams as well?  :demon:

Si_Co

« Reply #43 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:44:02 pm »
Edinburgh council have just voted in favour of 20mph limits on nearly all the city centre roads.

Question is will it be enforced? I was rapidly overtaken last night by a string of cars in a 20 zone, my speed? 22mph. Last car in the string? Manchester's finest.

Genuine question btw, don't know what Edinburgh police's attitude to 20 zones is.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:59:45 pm »
Enforcement would be wonderful, but I'm not sure it's the most important. It's not enforced (or at least not except in extreme cases) in Bristol, but it does seem to reduce the typically accepted maximum from about 40 to more like 30, so it does have an effect. Plus, it's an indication of intent and direction, especially in conjunction with parking controls, etc.

« Reply #45 on: 07 January, 2015, 10:19:38 pm »
BBC report here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-30709507 says
Supt Phil O'Kane, of Police Scotland, said: "We will not routinely police the 20mph zones, however we will respond to any particular zones where there is a casualty reduction requirement.

"We will enforce the 20mph zones outside schools because that is important for the children of Edinburgh."

ian

« Reply #46 on: 08 January, 2015, 08:51:07 am »
BBC report here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-30709507 says
Supt Phil O'Kane, of Police Scotland, said: "We will not routinely police the 20mph zones, however we will respond to any particular zones where there is a casualty reduction requirement.

"We will enforce the 20mph zones outside schools because that is important for the children of Edinburgh."

Presumably being run over isn't important for the adults of Edinburgh. Still, good to know that they'll consider policing speed limits after people have died or been injured. I'm sure their ghosts will be united in support of that policy.

« Reply #47 on: 08 January, 2015, 09:41:05 am »
Apparently the 20mph limit in the City of London has been in force since last July. I've not noticed anyone with a clear road in front of them driving anywhere near as slowly as that.

According to http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/transport-and-streets/traffic-management/Pages/20-mph-speed-limit-proposal.aspx
Quote from: City of London Website
The 20mph speed limit is expected to be self enforcing; we expect most drivers to abide by the 20mph speed limit without being forced to slow down by intrusive infrastructure. We expect this to happen because of the existing average City spot speed of 21.9mph and the relevant government guidance, which is based on experience of 20mph speed limits elsewhere.

Oh I see, it's not a limit, it's an average. So it's perfectly fine for the skip lorries to thunder down Farringdon Street at 45mph in the pissing rain with their left wheels touching the cycle lane, because half the other roads in the area are too narrow to get much over 10mph.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #48 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:25:29 am »
Larrington Towers Road has had a 20 mph limit over about half its length for somewhere over a year now, while the A503 is similarly limited not far away.

Here is how much difference it has made: 0
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 08 January, 2015, 12:21:50 pm »
20mph limits are being rolled out across Middle Earth, to similar effect.