Author Topic: 20 mph limit  (Read 22889 times)

Re: 20 mph limit
« Reply #75 on: 19 November, 2022, 08:04:19 pm »
Talking of enforcement.
A few years ago I had the 'pleasure' of commuting from Somerset to Hull every few weeks.
Most of the motorway roadworks had average speed cameras. Result, everyone stuck to 50mph or very close to.
One set of roadworks did not. Result, a whole stream of cars hurtling past me as I stuck to 50 in the inside lane. Hardly anyone slowed at all.

The likelihood of getting caught really does make a difference.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #76 on: 19 November, 2022, 09:27:47 pm »
Well, the Scots have patrols and camera vans on dual carriageways, so i guess that means a greater chance of being caught there.

The A9 has been much better since they put average speed cameras on it. Although since the new dualled bits gave opened (or is it post covid) there have been more deaths.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #77 on: 19 November, 2022, 09:35:29 pm »
...The A9 has been much better since they put average speed cameras on it...

And the A90 between Stonehaven and Dundee  :thumbsup:

« Reply #78 on: 19 November, 2022, 10:31:46 pm »
I've often wondered why average speed cameras aren't used more widely and not just for roadworks on major roads.  Is it because they actually work in reducing speed?
The sound of one pannier flapping

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #79 on: 19 November, 2022, 10:52:47 pm »
'Cos it's the war against the motorist innit.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #80 on: 19 November, 2022, 11:00:19 pm »
And they cost monies.

« Reply #81 on: 19 November, 2022, 11:05:04 pm »
And they cost monies.

I'd have thought the fines would outweigh the cost x 10
The sound of one pannier flapping

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #82 on: 19 November, 2022, 11:34:13 pm »
And they cost monies.

I'd have thought the fines would outweigh the cost x 10

wAr oN tHe MOtoRiSt.

We benefitted from fines on the M5, a huge chunk of money went to the Police and Crime Commissioner's Office (£300,000, I think) and entities were able to bid for it. We got two SIDS (flashy signs that tell you what speed you are going) and a chunk of money for youth work to reduce ASB.

I think speeding 'fines' should be used like this everywhere. But Daily Mail. wAr oN tHe MOtoRiSt.

There was a story I saw today (can't remember if it was BBC, Guardian or Times) about a farmer 'finally' banned from driving for a few months. He had, I think, 39 points. He had collected 9 in a day to get the ban, having pleaded "Exceptional circumstances" the last time he was up in front of the Beak.

I once had 6 points. I was shit scared about losing my licence.

« Reply #83 on: 20 November, 2022, 12:04:53 am »

« Reply #84 on: 20 November, 2022, 09:36:47 am »
I've often wondered why average speed cameras aren't used more widely and not just for roadworks on major roads.  Is it because they actually work in reducing speed?

We have them on motorways in France. You have to recognise them by the form of the radar, the warning sign is the same for the punctual sort. We also have in some areas warning signs that cover sectors of 30-40kms with a radar somewhere in the middle (which is not so good once the regulars get to know where they are).
I don't think our roadwork radars are average speed, I think they're punctual.

« Reply #85 on: 20 November, 2022, 10:26:55 am »
Average speed cameras are used on the A9, A90 and A96 in Scotland, not just at roadworks.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #86 on: 20 November, 2022, 09:56:33 pm »
Average speed cameras are used on the A9, A90 and A96 in Scotland, not just at roadworks.
A Few more places than that now
A85 between Lix toll and Crianlarich, might be some more out west

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #87 on: 20 November, 2022, 10:17:38 pm »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #88 on: 20 November, 2022, 10:19:27 pm »
Tractors are barely able to reach their Spee delimit anyway

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #89 on: 23 November, 2022, 11:01:39 pm »
In Cardiff our thoughtful council  is slowly rolling out  a 20mph to all urban roads.

On the through roads in Radyr when I am walking around there are two types of driver. We have the two types mentioned above. Most obey the limit others are naughty and drive faster, but mostly not as fast as they would of before.   

This has created the situation where it is safer for a pedestrian  when the roads are slightly busy. Here I see little columns of cars obeying the limit behind their leader. When the roads are less busy I see more drivers exceeding the limit.

A few years ago it was reported on our two 'main' roads.   The B road through the village speeds were recorded at an average approaching 50mph in places a long way above the nominal 30mph speed limit. On Bryn Derwen  a road that has a few homes but mostly distributes to closes and streets where people live. This was recorded having a average speed of 40mph.  Everything is better now

« Reply #90 on: 24 November, 2022, 06:55:34 am »
I find it rather unsettling that the enforcement of the speed limit is left to a few conscientious drivers. The situation is also reinforcing the perception that drivers only have to slow for speed cameras.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #91 on: 24 November, 2022, 12:49:20 pm »
Around here, it's the busses that totally ignore the 20 zone. So you can be doing 20 ish on your own or in a queue of cars, and then get undertaken by a bus in their special lane (sometimes a minibus, also taxis). I'm not sure that's a win...

« Reply #92 on: 14 February, 2023, 06:27:27 pm »
Bloody hell.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/south-london-council-blocked-fining-26185674?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Wandsworth Council blocked by central government from contacting drivers who break local 20mph limits.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #93 on: 14 February, 2023, 06:33:38 pm »
What's not addressed in that is why the drivers caught on those roads can't be fined and pointed in the normal way. It gives the impression this is a totally separate scheme with no police involvement at all but doesn't explicitly state it.

But there is good evidence on the effectiveness of lower limits. Only 1mph average reduction in speed but:
The council said the number of vehicles travelling over 25mph on the roads has fallen from 13per cent to 6.6pc on the roads since the introduction of the scheme.
a halving in number of the fastest.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #94 on: 19 February, 2023, 07:58:55 pm »
Councils recently got powers to enforce a whole load of stuff that was previously exclusive to the police and therefore rarely enforced (eg bike lane infringements). It sounds like Wandsworth Council and the government disagree about whether speeding fines are included.